LiPo Battery Safety?

Discussion in 'Electric Guns' started by Airsoft444, Feb 11, 2016.

1. Airsoft444

Airsoft444 Mad Scientist Supporting Member

Milwaukee
    So I am planning on purchasing a LiPo battery soon, and it is my first. I have heard the whole spiel about charging safety and all, and I was wondering how dangerous they are if they combust. I read on another forum that they produce hydrofluoric acid and hydrogen cyanide!? Can someone confirm, I don't wanna spread false info here.

My setup is a zippy flightmax 1800mah 40C 3s Lipo and a SkyRC B6AC V2 charger. I will be using a LiPo safe bag and charging it either outside or within a closed storage building (60* year round). I live in WI, so at what temps should I not charge the battery outside... And it will be in the shade of course. Where do you recommend I charge it during the winter?

So I'm not really all that worried about fire, but I was just wondering how toxic the smoke really is. My setup has a 30a fuse and will be wired with no shorts in the circuit. I really don't expect any issues but want to be prepared in case..

2. theonlyBuster

theonlyBuster Active Member Lifetime Supporter

S. Florida
    First and foremost, unless you puncture the battery, you have very little to worry about. Additionally, before a Lipo fails and combusts, you have quite a few hints and tips. For one, they bloat. It literally looks and feels like someone attached it to an air pump and filled it full of as much air as possible and it looks like it's going to pop as a balloon would. That's when you stop using that battery.

Now when they combust, a chemical smoke is released, exactly what that is I don't know. Is it harmful? Well it's smoke from chemical reaction, so yes. Though thankfully it's not thick, so it's not like one wiff and you're dead. But having seen a couple batteries inside guns combust, I can tell you Common Sense kicks is quite quickly, as you'll likely notice the smoke/heat, drop the gun and take a few steps back as it begins to smoke and so on. But again, ALL those situations, the owner had done something stupid to the battery, continued to use it after it became bloated, or punctured it (repeatedly). Seriously, stupidity at its finest.

In terms of charging, I charge in-house, always have for years. If you're truly paranoid, I've seen some use specific boxes made to contain fire and they drill a hole to route their wiring for charger into the box and call it a day. Keep in mind, you DON'T want to contain the smoke, just the fire. Attempting to contain the smoke will result in the container ballooning until enough pressure can be made to punch a hole or remove a cap. Let the protection unit breath.

-mobile device-

3. Airborne101

Airborne101 Well-Known Member

Chicago
    You don't need to tiptoe on egg shells when using lipos. People make a bigger deal out of it than it really is. Yes there is the potential for it to catch fire, however if you follow the following 3 "rules", then you should never have an issue.

1. Don't over charge it (use a lipo smart charger like the one you listed)
    2. Don't over discharge it (use a lipo alarm)
    3. Don't puncture the pack

If you can follow those 3 rules, you are competent enough to own and use a lipo.

Buster hit the nail on the head. There will be warning signs before your lipo goes up in flames. They don't spontaneously combust and create a firestorm without warning.

Also, if you follow the 3 rules above, you can charge your lipo inside. I do it all the time.

4. Dannyboyextreme

Dannyboyextreme Active Member

Burbank
    Like the others said. Also don't get using your gun if the voltage is really low. Dipping the voltage andbover charging are the common issues with lipos. If it's a really big deal for you to use lipos, try LiFe batteries. They are like lipos but with less danger, practice with that first until you think you can manage it properly

5. Bob62874

Bob62874 New Member

Buy a low voltage lipo alarm, I just bought my first 2 lipo batteries and am awaiting for them to arrive. I found a few alarms with adjustable voltage ranges in which you can manually set when the alarm sound as most will go off at 3.3v as they are designed for RC usage. Supposubly with light use which airsoft is considered 3.0v is what we can use if you felt the desire to do so. Read that on a few reputable sources but do so at your own risk to your batteries. An alarm that will tell you the voltages of each individual cell may be handy to so you can check between games so you know how your battery is doing can come in handy as well.

Beyond that I would store in the lipo charging bags when not in use to be on the safe side. Good lipo chargers have a store function for what you store the batteries at in terms of charge. Supposedly if you store them at full charge they may puff.