LiPo or no LiPo?

Discussion in 'Electric Guns' started by LegacyAirsoft, Oct 7, 2012.

1. LegacyAirsoft

LegacyAirsoft You can say I tech a little...

Massachusetts
    Hi guys, I'm at the point that I'm sure a lot of you have already passed, I'm deciding whether to upgrade from my 9.6v NiMh batteries to a LiPo! Im positive I will be wiring my gun to deans in the near future and thought; when I get the deans I might as well get a new battery right? Well now I need to decide whether to go down the path of LiPos or not. I am wondering a couple main things:
    -Compatibility (7.4v or 11.1v with my setup*)
    -Cost (I know the batteries are cheaper but I need a charger + accessories)
    -Is it worth it? (or should I keep using my 9.6v)
    -Any reason not to get it?
    If I think of any other questions I will post them
    *my gearbox setup
    Shimmed
    Gears greased
    Piston greased
    AOE corrected
    Guarder sp100 spring
    Lonex pm15 ball bearing piston head
    Lonex a1 motor
    Deans (will be by the time I get the batteries)
    Everything else is stock
    (could you please also give an estimate rps with a 7.4v 25c 2250 mah battery and an 11.1v 30c 1600mah battery and if I should use the 11.1v or not - excessive wear)
    Thanks, I need all the help I can get

2. S1kkguy

S1kkguy New Member

London
    I'm in a pretty similar situation so will be keeping an eye on this thread...Btw what ROF are you getting on your 9.6 battery?

3. LegacyAirsoft

Massachusetts
    I'm getting 19-21 rps with this setup and a 9.6v 1600mah battery on tamiyas. Hoping with deans I will get at least 23rps and the most I want is 30 rps (if I decide to go away from my 9.6v)

4. Col1500

Col1500 New Member

Kent
    I switched from a 9.6V to a 7.4V just last month, and I love it. My RPS is the same, but my trigger response shot up.

5. 1badweasel

1badweasel New Member

Santa Rosa
    7.4v is a lot easier on the gearbox.
    The cost will be up front, but once you have everything, there will be no need to buy anything more.
    In the long run, yes. Lipos last longer and rarely drop in performance. One or two would be all you need.
    There are some risks to having lipos, but if you understand the dangers and take safty precautions, then the risks are minimized.

6. LegacyAirsoft

Massachusetts
    -Thanks, from what I understand I need to buy the LiPo itself, and then a balance charger, LiPo sack, and I's there anything else?
    -And do you think my build will be able to run a 11.1v 15c (minimum) without too much excessive wear or should I just go with the 7.4v? (if I get a fet and possibly 16awg wiring would the 11.1v be good then? I know it will cause stress on the gb but if it isn't that much with the new wiring and fet I might opt for it.

7. Lefse

Lefse Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I recommend an M120 spring minimum for your build if you wanna use an 11,1v li-po, a Lonex A1 should do low 30's with a good 11.1v li-po pulling an M120 on standard gears. The SP100 spring is equivalent to an M110 if I'm not mistaken, you will risk premature engagement with spring, stripping the piston. If you wanna stay under 400fps, just short stroke the sector gear a couple teeth or use a differently ported piston to change the compression.

Also, get a li-po that can deliver at least 30 amps, the more amps the better. I absolutely recommend switching to li-po, IMO ni-mh's are awful. Ni-mh batteries are heavy, large and expensive compared to their performance, and they also loose their voltage relatively fast. Li-po's are compact, light, reliable and have excellent performance and has a very nice cost/performance ratio compared to ni-mh's. I use li-po's exclusively now, ni-mh's simply aren't good enough.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  8. LegacyAirsoft

Massachusetts
    Thank you very much, and yes the guarder sp100 is a stiff m100 spring so its more like a m105 or a m110. And I am opting toward the 7.4v right now but if I decide to get an 11.1v I will make sure to upgrade my spring back to an m120 and put in a steel ball bearing spring guide (as well as short stoke piston and sector gear).

9. Lefse

Lefse Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Make sure you keep the piston as light as possible, swisscheese it and don't use ball bearings in the piston. Try and keep the total weight of the piston below 20 grams in a high speed setup.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  10. ShooterMcgavin

ShooterMcgavin New Member

New Port News
    http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_listCategoriesAndProducts.asp?whl=XX&idCategory=476&v=&sortlist=P&LiPoConfig=&CatSortOrder=desc

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__7028__Turnigy_Accucel_6_50W_6A_Balancer_Charger_w_accessories.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__20968__Hobbyking_60w_Power_Supply.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=11961

Thats pretty much what I ordered except for the battery. I got 7.4v 1800mah 20c lipo. Its great and I am getting pretty awesome results on my stock G&P M4.Battery charger is great and easy to use (did not include instructions but somebody linked a digital version in one of the reviews on the site). I am not sure if you want to run that setup with a 11.1v lipo without a mosfet, I wouldn't but it is your gun.

11. beanmaster50

beanmaster50 New Member

Superior
    If you don't want to go lipo you can always build a 10.8v. I have one in my AK and it is really awesome. It is better than a 9.6v without the expense of a lipo

12. ShooterMcgavin

ShooterMcgavin New Member

New Port News
    Actually the start up cost for lipo today is going to cost you similarly to NiMh batteries.
    Mine was $70 shipped with a decent charger, 2 good lipos, power supply, and Deans. I also get better performance and a better longer lasting battery in comparison if I had bought NiMh batteries and a smart charger.

13. JakeBworth

JakeBworth New Member

Hoboville
    Switch to Lipo and don't look back. Buy a nice charger/balancer and switch to Deans.
    I own around 12 lipo batteries and have only paid $6-$10 each. Much cheaper than NiMh.