Lipo sack

Discussion in 'General Accessory Discussion' started by Cobom, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Cobom

Cobom New Member

Orlando
    Do I need a lipo sack to charge my lipo? Or can I go without it?

2. RCV

RCV New Member

They are a complete waste of money if you aren't an idiot. Buy good quality chargers and lipos and you will never need one.

3. Sparky_D

Sparky_D Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Pierce County
    It's up to you.

Do you need that level of safety? Probably not. Thousands of LiPos charge without issue every day.

Will you be sorry if you don't have it and something goes wrong? Probably.

4. 1badweasel

1badweasel New Member

Santa Rosa
    I've seen Lipos blow out in three feet flames. After seeing that, I make sure I always use a lipo sack. And I store them is an Ammo Box.

5. 703

703 Active Member

webster
    +1. IMO you don't need one. I have one and it just sits on my shelf.

6. Kmkraft12

Kmkraft12 New Member

Gainesville
    I do the exact same thing.

7. alex

alex New Member

Atlanta
    if you are charging puffed up LiPo's, then yes, use a flame proof bag. i have a few half puffed LiPo's that i charge in bags. the full puffed ones can no longer hold a charge and some failed to burst in flames when poked with a nail (bummer). they need to be fully charged to burst into flames. my balance charger refuses to fully charge bad LiPo's.

8. Protectionperfection

Protectionperfection New Member

Worcester
    ive been charging lipos without a sack for a year now no problems. I use one when i charge my friends half puffed because its on its way out and he is too cheap to get his own charger or a new battery

9. EagleDriver

EagleDriver Member

It is up to you, but a Lipo sac is there for your protection if anything goes wrong. I store and transport all of mine in Lipo sacs. You never need one until something bad happens.

After OP Blacksheep at Pine Plains (three weeks ago) this is what happened to a car because Lipo that was just stored in a pouch of a gun bag on the way home. There was obviously something wrong with one of the Lipo batteries (the fire marshal identified it as the cause of the fire) but there were no signs of anything wrong and it appeared fine. So his PTW, Marushin shotty, gear, and car were all destroyed.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
  10. 1badweasel

1badweasel New Member

Santa Rosa
    The thing about lipos is that there doesn't have to be anything wrong with them to have them go up. I know of one person who left his lipo pluged in for too long and his garage ended up burning down as a result. Yes, a lot of it has to do with negligence, but that's all it takes.

11. Protectionperfection

Protectionperfection New Member

Worcester
    ouch... whos car is that? that sucks...

12. Phailed

Phailed New Member

Bodø
    People like you are the cause of quite a few house fires and even deaths every year. You should not spread information like that to people.
    Even the best quality chargers can fail and unbalance the cells or overcharge. It does not happend often, but it could happend. It's like driving without using a seatbelt, it works great until something happends that you did not foresee.
    A lipo bag doesnt cost much, they are almost free and they can save your house and even your life. (Think about the other people living in your house, do you have any right to risk their life because you dont bother to spend 20$ on a lipo bag?)
    Also, if you dont use a lipo bag, and you dont realize that you should use one, you should not handle any LiPo batteries.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
  13. Cobom

Cobom New Member

Orlando
  14. Sparky_D

Sparky_D Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Pierce County
    That's the exact style I use, so you're good there.

You will know when a lipo has puffed just by looking at it. The cells baloon out when they are damaged. I have one I use for bench testing only. It puffed when it shorted across the leads when I was soldering Deans on to them (Cautionary note: NEVER strip both leads on a battery when soldering. Strip one lead, solder it to the terminal and cover it with heat shrink BEFORE stripping the second lead).

15. RCV

RCV New Member

People like me you say? I agree with your post, but generally when that stuff happens it is because people aren't super cautious or are around when their Lipos are charging. I'm careful enough for that stuff not to happen. I always am within 10 feet of my charging station so if anything like that happens I can chuck em out the window or bury them before something like that happens. I store them in air sealed ammo boxes too. So again, good post, but if you don't know me or how I do things, don't involve me in it. Like I said, if you aren't an idiot, you shouldn't need one. Especially with all the improved technology Lipos have grown over the years.

16. Phailed

Phailed New Member

Bodø
    I dont think you have seen a real LiPo blow up sir :p
    Sometimes when a LiPo blows up, it happend slowly, you wil hear it and see smoke, but not always. Sometimes there is to much flames and toxic smoke for you to trow the battery out.

And Im sorry if it came out wrong. The reason I said people like you, is that you spread information that can get other people hurt or even killed. It's like telling a student driver that he or she doesnt need to use the seatbelt unless he/she is an "idiot".
    There is actualy a person who made this thread to learn about safety around LiPo batteries, and I think you are giving him a quite bad advice.

I've been using LiPo batterys for many years in my RC planes and my RC helis and I can tell you, that if a 6 cell 5000 mAH battery blew up infront of you, you'd have alot of respect for LiPo batteries.

For an example, a hard landing caused the battery to be damaged. It was not visable on the outside, but during charging, the battery started expanding. Luckly, I was in the same room and heard what was going on.
    What do you think happends when you run around with a LiPo in your AEG? I bet a day of airsofting could compere to 5 or 6 of those hard landings.

17. 1badweasel

1badweasel New Member

Santa Rosa
    I see a lipo sack more like insurance. It's not mandatory, but you'll be glad you have when you need it most.

18. RCV

RCV New Member

I have seen a few blow up. I have used them in my RCs too, as well as airsoft guns for 3 years now and charged them probably 1k+ times with no issues. I have blown up a 3s intentionally for fun one time, I am aware of what can happen. 5 foot flames, lots and lots of nasty smoke. Believe me I'm aware. I just won't let that happen considering I sit by my lipos when they are charging so as long as they don't spontaneously combust withing 2 seconds, I would have reacted by then. I have the common sense not to be an idiot. I have no intentions of giving any threads a bad name but I am just saying, if you are taking the right precautions, you will never need one.

19. EagleDriver

EagleDriver Member

One of the guys on my team. I would have been with them at Pine Plains this year but it was the same week as Berget, and I always go to Berget each year now.