Lipo

Discussion in 'Electric Guns' started by haden, Aug 22, 2012.

1. haden

haden New Member

Is there any down side to lipo batteries?

2. JakeBworth

JakeBworth New Member

Hoboville
    Not really, except that you need a Lipo-Specific charger/balancer and typically have to handle them with a little more care than standard NiMh.

3. Retrospection

Retrospection New Member

Kimballton
    From what I've seen, lipos are lipos. I don't want to get one cause I just bought a smart charger, and if I switch to lipo its not just buying the battery, you gotta buy a balance charger, upgrade parts on your gun you wouldn't normally need to, and have potential to break easier. Plus what do i get? A higher rof? That just means I'm wasting more ammer(yes I know but I always say ammer) and therefore more cash.

4. Thatguyoverthere1111

Thatguyoverthere1111 New Member

Mandeville
    7.4v LiPos give you the same fire rate as a 9.6v. Unless you're using an 8.4v before, you'll use the same amount of ammo, more or less. You only need MOSFET and 16 AWG to protect your trigger contacts. That's pretty much all you need (besides charger but that's implied) to run a LiPo. Granted it's not an 11.1v, but we don't all need to run 11.1vs, now do we?

5. Lefse

Lefse Well-Known Member Supporting Member

A li-po gives alot more performance for your money, is more reliable and also has alot more power in a smaller size. Many people think li-po=a bajillion RPS, that's not true. A 7.4v li-po will give a more moderate ROF and is safe for pretty much any stock gun. They also don't require as much care as many people think, you don't have measure the voltage every 5 seconds, just check it once or twice during a day at the field. You should do that with any battery really, any battery will be damaged if you over discharge it.

I use only li-po's, but I did use ni-mh's before, and I had alot more issues and hassle with ni-mh's than with li-po's. Ni-mh batteries are large, heavy, unreliable, unpredictable and doesn't pack a very good punch, that's my experience with ni-mh's, and that's why I hate them now. There aren't any good reason for still using ni-mh batteries, they were obsolete several years ago.

6. Bulldawg26

Bulldawg26 Active Member

Atlanta
    If you go with lipo, don't allow them to discharge to less than 3v per cell. If you do, the battery can get damaged to the point where they can catch fire during charging. Fortunately, most balance chargers will give off an alarm if the battery is damaged to the point of being dangerous. You can also buy a meter for $10 or less that will signal when to change out the battery. It attaches to the battery while you are out in the field playing. For 7.4 batteries, don't allow the voltage to fall to below 6v. For 11.1 lipos, stay above 9v. Good thing is that lipos tend to last longer that nimh batteries with more power.

You also want to look at the battery discharge rate. It is often referred to the "C" rating. Usually, you will want a lipo battery with a 15-20c discharge rate.

7. alex

alex New Member

Atlanta
    LiPo's don't like heat. too much heat and they puff up. keep them away from the sun during summer. draining them will damage it. some LiPo's have low voltage protection. your balance charger will let you know if you have a bad LiPo.

8. CoppertopNeasg

CoppertopNeasg New Member

Boston
    They will destroy your trigger contacts if you are running above a 7.4 and even with a 7.4 you will see moderate damage after a fair amount of rounds.

9. Bulldawg26

Bulldawg26 Active Member

Atlanta
    Yeah. You need a MOSFET to avoid that.