Long Range AEG

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by nman976, Jan 4, 2013.

1. nman976

nman976 New Member

For upgrading an m4. I have a CA M15A4 and would like to upgrade it to where it could shoot longer range. I have heard to use longer tightbore barrel and silencer for it. Two things; one, the orange tip is a ***** to get off, and two- I don't know which barrel to get or which suppressor to get also. I would appreciate some ideas and other upgrades to make it longer range since I already have a shorter range weapon

2. Lefse

Lefse Well-Known Member Supporting Member

You don't need a longer barrel to increase the range, that's a myth, most of the range is in the hop-up and BB. A high quality barrel can improve accuracy though, but you should try polishing and stabilizing the stock barrel before spending money on an expensive precision barrel. You can get surprisingly good performance out of stock parts with some TLC.

A high quality hop-up bucking will also have a positive effect on range and accuracy. I like Guarder clear buckings myself, Lonex and Prometheus buckings are also good. What BB weight are you currently using? Increasing BB weight alone can help quite a bit on range and accuracy.

A common trick to get the orange tip off if it's glued on is to hold it in boiling water for a while to soften up the glue. I haven't tried this myself, as I've never had an airsoft gun with an orange tip. You should study the "DMR" threads on the forum, that should give you some ideas on what to do.

3. nman976

nman976 New Member

So clean the barrel and rest of gun. Guarder hop up bucking? It doesn't seem useful and I use .20's. should I use .25's or .30's?

4. Mnw1998

Mnw1998 New Member

Monroe
    Use the heaviest bb's you can use. Get a nice Long range scope and sight it where you want it.

5. Lefse

What exactly do you mean not useful? Of course it's not as effective as the R-hop, but I've gotten very good results with those buckings myself. Chaning the hop-up bucking can massively improve your range and accuracy if your old bucking isn't good, or is worn out. I'm talking about more than just cleaning the barrel, you should try and polish it, to make it smoother, you can easily find guides on how to do it by searching the web.
    I use .25 minimum, would probably use .30's in my higher powered AEG's if they weren't so damn expensive hehe.

6. troh1916

troh1916 New Member

Don't get the barrel in boiling water or it will warp and the barrel won't shoot good at all

7. Lefse

You're not putting the innerbarrel in the water, just the flash hider, and I doubt 100*C is enough to actually warp the barrel anyway.