Looking at a CM048 vs a JG AUG A3

Discussion in 'What Gun Should I Get?' started by Shadowex3, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 New Member

There's a local guy interested in plate carriers and other misc. gear that I might be able to trade with a local guy. My two options to are either a stock Cm048 with a new battery and a few hicaps; or an Aug A3 that's been wired to deans, has a mosfet, new battery, and nine midcaps.

Right now I've got a JG AK47 and a JG m4 s-system and the M4 just feels like it fits me better, so I'm a little iffy about another AK pattern. At the same time I've also read that this thing is actual steel and wood rather than potmetal which is a huge bonus, while the AUG has the bullpup design going for it which can be great for a smaller guy like me (5'8" but 120lbs). In terms of DMRing either though despite the AUG's longer barrel it seems like the cyma's better construction might actually work out better without tons of upgrades. As far as value goes even though the A3 seems to cost more retail I would think the Cyma would hold value better.

They've both got their pros and cons so I'm honestly on the fence right now. On the one hand the idea of actual steel and wood is just flipping sexy, everything I've read suggests that it's built great and despite lacking rails it should be pretty accurate with the stock tightbore and metal hop. The AUG mainly has the stock RIS system and possibly the bullpup design going for it.

Who's had experience with either or both? I'm considering these both from the standpoint of a DMR or at least accurized platform and keeping them as general assault rifles, and I'm plenty comfortable with iron sights... it was good enough for Simo after all.

2. IHOP

IHOP New Member

Rockton
    Go for that AUG A3 package for sure. Upgraded and extras is where it's at.

JG AUGs are great guns, but the metal is pot metal and the plastic is just eww.

3. richman992

richman992 New Member

Rochester
    Tough decision. I'd say it depends on what is important to you. If you're trying to build a DMR I'd say the AUG. But it's tough to find parts for, and the battery space is super limited. Also, my AUG was obnoxiously back heavy, and I didn't really like that. Also, the 2 stage trigger takes some getting used to, as do Bullpup reloads :)

And then there's the CM048, which i have seen take some serious torture and still perform. While I don't own a 048, I've owned a few CYMA AK's as well as a jg ak, and they are hands down my gun of choice. So many upgrades, and you can always buy a scope mount and keep the wood on it. Or do what I did to my CM028 and screw a rail into the (fake) wood for grips and stuff.

I'd say go for the ak. AUGs are too damn finnicky in my opinion.

4. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 New Member

So that's one vote for each basically, although Ihop both of them have upgraded batteries. Starting to lean a bit more towards the Cyma then, even though it retails for less it seems to be a higher quality gun with a lot more upgrades/parts available.

5. UrdnotWrex

UrdnotWrex Member

Gettysburg, PA
    Cyma hands down. They come about 60 fpsish away from the velocity you want for DMR as well as being easier for batteries.

6. motocross_guy

motocross_guy New Member

Aug that's a very good deal

7. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 New Member

Good point, I've got three nicads that won't fit in my S-System's handguard but will fit in an AK stock.

8. richman992

richman992 New Member

Rochester
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SF_NqUVmP78&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]

maybe this helps? its pretty amazing...

9. Maxuhmize

Maxuhmize New Member

OKC
  10. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 New Member

Yeah that pretty much decided it for me. A lot of the local airsofting is done in the woods and if it isn't then the AUG would wind up being too hot anyway. i'll go for that kind of quality construction over what little extra barrel length the bullpup will get me any day.

11. Shiftyshooter

Shiftyshooter Learn from your mistakes. Lifetime Supporter

Prague
    I am not sure if you know, but the latest CYMAs are made from stamped steel.

This video does not really prove anything, since all the moving parts are in the inside of the gearbox and not only inside the body. Plus, there is very little holes by which the dirt could get in - unlike in real steel, where the bolt opens and closes after every shot.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2012
  12. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 New Member

Which is fair, but the bathtub and bucket tests do make for legitimate tests for me given Florida's climate and tendency to jump from 80 to 100% humidity rather suddenly.

Still as cute as the video is it still seems like the cm048 has better quality internal parts than the Aug A3 and there's the added benefit that I can get it for a hundred out of pocket and two hicaps I'll probably never use.

13. IHOP

IHOP New Member

Rockton
    I'm very well aware of this. I was talking about the JG AUG....

14. Shiftyshooter

Shiftyshooter Learn from your mistakes. Lifetime Supporter

Prague
    Oh, in that case, I am sorry.

15. Trent099

Trent099 New Member

Carbondale
    Cyma is IMO the best low-mid range airsoft manufacturer, they are accurate and reliable out of the box.

16. airsoft6274

airsoft6274 New Member

Jg is just
    Me a little different than what most people have and its more accurate

17. airsoft6274

airsoft6274 New Member

The real aug is not full metal ( thats what i have heard never have seen a real one) but i understand what you mean plastic and metal annoys me too.