Looking for 1911 for Marine Force Recon loadout

Discussion in 'What Gun Should I Get?' started by ReconRazor, Dec 17, 2012.

1. ReconRazor

ReconRazor New Member

I need advice on what pistol to get for my Marine Force Recon loadout. My budget is about $200 but I could go higher

2. Knief

Knief Moderator Staff Member

Ann Arbor
    You, my friend, need an MEU. A few companies make versions of it, most notably WA, TM, and WE. KJW makes a gun that they call an MEU, but it's just a modernized 1911. The WA is expensive and fragile, making it a show piece. The WE has all the typical WE pitfalls. It's sloppy, unreliable, and has a high chance of coming to your broken. That leaves you with the TM. That's a good thing. TM's 1911 models are far and away the best on the market and their MEU is no exception. I own one and love it (I've also owned the WA MEU and currently own the WE MEU, just to put my opinion in perspective for a new member). Buy the TM and never look back.

http://www.uncompany.com/pageproductdetails.asp?prodid=23399

For an MFR kit, you'll want a Safariland 6004 to go with it.

http://www.lapolicegear.com/sa60taho.html

I've ordered from LAPG numerous times, they're a great retailer, as is UNCompany from the link above.

3. ReconRazor

ReconRazor New Member

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't you have to use HFC 134A in TM?

4. Lil_Shady

Lil_Shady Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Supporter

It's recommended, but not required. I've been running my 5-7 on propane for 2 years with no problems.

5. moomoose

moomoose Member

Eagle
    KWA makes a couple 1911's. You could get one and modify it to your liking.

6. Knief

Ann Arbor
    You used to. Prior to the release of their Hi Capa line, TM GBBs were actually kind of meh. At the time, there wasn't a ton of competition in the affordable market and what they made was good enough. WA was still crazy expensive, KJW only made USPs (that sucked), KWAs were completely unreliable, and WE didn't even exist. KSC was their only real competition and they were still finding their footing (though with great pistols, as was soon to become apparent). That meant that TM could get by making relatively mediocre pistols that worked fine but were otherwise somewhat flimsy. Yeah, they definitely blew apart when you ran green gas through them (we didn't know we could use propane yet, and nobody made adaptors for them). Then, KSC started taking over. Their glock and M9 lines were becoming the real hotness and everything they turned out was pretty much gold. And not only that, they were selling for the same price as TMs were. TMs stopped being a really viable option because they were just sub par in the new market that KSC created. TM answered back with its Hi Capa. They mimicked the style of WA's most popular line (the 2011s), beefed up their internals, used much better material in the externals, particularly the slide, and they had a great gun. Admittedly, I was a WA 2011 snob at the time and didn't buy into it. I thought it was going to be one decent gun and that would be it. I was completely wrong. Everything TM has turned out since has pretty much been the best version of that model on the market. Their M1911A1 came next and the thing was fantastic. The MEU wasn't too far behind, along with the Sig P226, among others. Their glock line is just about their only miss, and even then, it's not really a miss. It's still a great gun, but KSC's old design is just a bit better. In any case, the new TMs not only looked and performed beautifully, they were a lot stronger, too. One of the biggest problems with their old guns was that the material they used was flimsy and toy-like. Their new guns used a different kind of plastic, one that was much harder, stronger, and both better looking and better feeling. They stand up to Propane use much better than they used to. I can't remember the last time I heard of a TM going down simply because it was run on Propane, though that used to be a common story years ago.

The caveat here is that they only recently released an updated M9A1. The rest of their M9 series is still pretty much garbage because it hasn't seen a redesign since it's inception. It was one of the older models, and one of the worst at that (though their old Desert Eagle was practically a sin). So avoid the older M9s, KSC's are still the best on the market by a long shot. But for a 1911/2011, there's nothing better than a TM right now. And they'll take Propane/Green Gas just fine.

[edit] There isn't enough aftermarket support for KWA so that you could turn one into an MEU. I don't believe I've ever seen a slide kit for them that would fit the bill. Plus, you'd easily be paying more than what you would for the TM to do it. And without the proper slide, you don't have an MEU, you just have a KWA 1911 design.

7. Lil_Shady

Lil_Shady Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Supporter

Not really. KWA is very very picky about what get will and won't take. TM or a TM clone is the best option here.

8. ReconRazor

ReconRazor New Member

Ok thank you for clearing that up. Also i know someone with a KWA and they like it but as far as i know they don't have a MEU

9. Knief

Ann Arbor
    KWA's 1911s are pretty decent, but you're right, they don't make an MEU. They don't actually make any direct replicas of any commercially available 1911. To avoid trademark issues, they simply make some generic models that sort of resemble lots of things. If you're doing an impression, that won't do. Get the TM. I'll say it over and over here. Get the TM.

10. ReconRazor

ReconRazor New Member

Ok i think ill go with the TM it looks like the best pistol to fit my needs

11. stroop66

stroop66 New Member

Yeah knief is right! Go with the TM! Its your best bet!