Looking for an ambi M4

Discussion in 'What Gun Should I Get?' started by Beetlebz, Aug 4, 2020.

1. Beetlebz

Beetlebz Well-Known Member

New Milford
    Hey gang, trying to sift through the utterly massive pile of new stuff on the market since I've been back. Im fixing up my old FMG4 and I have a spare gun that I've been talked into leaving mostly stock.

Im looking for a shiney new field gun thats going to be reliable and most importantly have ambi controls. GBB doesn't work for me because they fall flat on their face in the cold.

A lot of guys locally are running krytac and im tempted to as well for the ambi fire selector but I know nothing about them. Are they worth the $350+ for them? Can I run them stock? And most importantly they obviously aren't that standard if they come with an ambi selector... what parts will I have a hard time finding replacements for? A TBB and R-hop are definitely in the future.

If theyre garbage, what are better offerings of the ambi controls variety?

2. aotsukisho

aotsukisho Active Member

Krytacs are great out of the box, similar with KWAs. I personally don't like ambi controls but my KWA came with it too.

Regarding replacement parts support, I have no experience with Krytac but KWA USA has a great web store and they are very helpful if you email them with part numbers you are looking for. KWA has lesser compatibility with Marui spec v2 so you are 'stuck' with KWA parts but for most applications they are adequate (tappet plate/spring, air nozzle, spring guide, ARL, selector plate, hop chamber, gearbox shell). The features you gain - AEG2.5 with variable FPS adjustment, AEG3 with electric blowback - may make it worth it, especially if you aren't looking to upgrade internally much.

Beetlebz likes this.

3. Beetlebz

New Milford
    I didnt realize KWA did ambi controls also. I will give both a hard look, thank you!

4. OPairoft

OPairoft Active Member

Bend
    Ambi aeg selector are 99% of the time trash. So far, the only one that actually works “ok” is the scorpion evo from what I have found.

5. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    By this comment you haven't seen a GHK AK get pulled out of a snow bank and fire the whole mag off have you?

6. Beetlebz

New Milford
    I most certainly have not. Im sure GBB has come a long way since I've had any experience with them, I remember 4 or 5 shot mags with my KJworks G23 because thats all we could get in the dead of winter. That was so common at my field that a lot of guys didn't even run secondaries in the winter.

While I'm quite happy that GBB has evolved to the point where its viable in the winter, im still not excited about expensive magazines and having to spend money on green gas. I suppose I am doing myself a disservice by not giving them a fair shake.. what would you recommend for an m4 pattern ambi capable gas gun?

7. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    TM MWS M4
    KJW Gen3 M4
    KWA LM4
    GHK Gen 3 M4

All models can run in 40 degree temps on Propane.

Propane is cheaper than CO2...and more flexible.

In 2014 the Ice Pick Valve came out, it was the beginning of the Low Pressure Valves that uses lower operating pressures.

Here is a TM with a Cold mag we 1/3 filled...Notice anything?

STARK/VFC with full mag.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
  8. Beetlebz

New Milford
    Finally got to an area with internet... thanks, tropical storm whatever-your-name-is.

Those videos are impressive.. what stood out to me the most was how snappy the slides run. My old KJW G23 slide runs at a way lower velocity and as such has a recoil impulse that's muted and sloppy feeling. But neither here nor there.

I've spent a bit looking at the LM4 and GHK guns. The cost isn't as scary as the cost of the magazines... holy crap. I have to admit though, the idea of real cap mags and manual of arms is appealing. Ill have to do some soul searching and paycheck saving.

I really had my heart set on an AEG, I've always been an AEG guy but now I'm not so sure.

9. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    Proper lubrication can assist with that.

Silicone Oil...absolutely garbage for use in lubrication for Airsoft. You want a film on the metal surfaces.

And a can of this stuff will last 40 years.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1014762044

Beetlebz likes this.
  10. Beetlebz

New Milford
    I will try switching to grease, I have gun grease in the shop for my real stuff.

Does that mean there aren't any *good* options for ambi AEG M4s? Krytac are the only ones I can get my hands on to play around with, but I have a feeling that I'm going to be frustrated with the manual of arms being less than a direct crossover.

Likewise having 30 round mags (which cost 4 times what a real stanag mag costs) in a game dominated by 140 round midcaps will leave me lacking also. Not to mention, buying ambi controls for a given GBB rifle will add another 100+ bucks to the cost bringing me up somewhere around the $800 mark to get started.

Its a tough decision, fortunately one that's costs prohibitive enough to allow for some intense thought.

11. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    Uh...no.

DDAY Magazines for AR's Comes in 416, STANAG and PMAG style in assorted colors - Varicap. This means you can load 30 rounds or 135 rounds via a switch.

Selector is only 48.00 and you can find it for less.

12. Beetlebz

New Milford
    Yeah, I was looking at ambi GBB parts for the LM4. It hurts my soul. Its around 25 bucks for a Norgon style m4 mag release which I already have. The selector and charging handles are going to be another $100 together. Looks like i need to pay down my PayPal credit so I can hide a new LM4 from my wife.

13. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    Some RS parts work on GBBR's...ya know...my AR pistol has a "few" Airsoft parts on it. Among 9-12 AR's around that I know who have similar parts.

BTW...FWIW..."most" aftermarket rails and parts that are sold like the UTG units are "Made in China" and have been since ~2006...the higher brands Gies...VLt....since 2008. Yeah...Asia...

I just picked up 3 of these for builds for 6.84 each...shipped.

[​IMG]

14. Beetlebz

New Milford
    Mind if I ask where you snagged that raptor clone charging handle? It certainly looks the business.

At the end of the day after I pick up a GBBR and a handful of mags another $100 in parts isnt going to make or break me.

Tax time might though...

15. OPairoft

OPairoft Active Member

Bend
    I would heavily advise skipping the lm4 unless you buy used, it’s a pretty meh system that basically everything else beats it in performance/parts support.

16. Beetlebz

New Milford
    Im certainly open to suggestions. To be honest I've never been a big kwa fan, but I readily found ambi parts for them which was my motivation. Like I said ill give anything a fair shake

17. Beetlebz

New Milford
    @Guges Mk3
    I played a game with a guy today running an LM4, twice he had to leave the game because his kwa mags ejected wildly into his gun (both new) and jammed up his bolt.

Is this a common occurrence with gas guns or a rare one off bad magazine? I was seriously about to drop the coin on a GBBR until today.

18. Tackleberry6

Tackleberry6 Active Member

Old bridge
    The LM4 platform is garbage, if you want a reliable GBBR spend the money on a GHK gen2, you wont have those issues.

19. OPairoft

OPairoft Active Member

Bend
    Eh with the newer ghk he might have just as bad, if not possibly worse since ghk qc has apparently existed the room.