Looking for correct parts for gearbox

Discussion in 'General Airsoft Discussion' started by L_h1700, Jul 31, 2021.

1. L_h1700

L_h1700 New Member

Pittsburgh
    Hey, im not sure if this is the place to post this but if there’s somewhere better suited for this question just let me know. But as per the title I am planning on building a gear box for my tippmann tactical recon shorty. I was looking to get trigger response and speed when shooting in semi since it’s my CQB gun. I’m confident in my ability to put all the parts in correctly but I am at a loss for what would be the best parts for making that build. If anyone has some suggestions I’d really appreciate it.
    Thanks!

2. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    You can go two ways.

Speed Motor and Torque Gears
    or
    Torque Motor and Speed Gears

It depends on your budget. However, I surmise this may be your one and only AEG. I would do the upgrades incrementally to see if you get what you need without a complete tear down.

First use a High Output LIPO battery in the 25A range and in 3S.

Then swap the motor to a High Speed unit for the Tipmann internal parts are "sub-par" and the Motor is not High Speed.

Your trigger response will improve considerable and you don't have to rebuild the mechbox...yet.

3. L_h1700

L_h1700 New Member

Pittsburgh
    S
    Should I be worried the new motor will add extra stress on the stock gears? I’m currently running it on a 11.1 lipo btw

4. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    The motor is not the major stressor...the spring is. Will a faster turning motor affect the force on the gear teeth faster...yes. But, it's more of a small increment in stress. Imagine one SA cycle in stock form at .06 seconds or .04 seconds. What's the difference? A Motor and the AEG fires at 15rps or 25 rps. That is a 33% decrease in trigger response just by a motor swap.

However, I can say you can take that down to ~.03 second with a 45K in your AEG

Here is what 25RPS sounds like on a 2S (25A) + 45K Motor on Standard Ratio 18:1 gears. Go to 2:00 mark.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
    hawkchief likes this.
  5. L_h1700

L_h1700 New Member

Pittsburgh
    Ah okay, thank you for the advice