Looking for Good AK style rifle

Discussion in 'What Gun Should I Get?' started by Graybeard, Oct 14, 2021.

1. Graybeard

Graybeard Member

Silver Spring
    I have no experience with AK rifles, but am looking to put together an AK47 with a fold forward style stock. The externals and accessible aftermarket parts are most important to me, because I plan is to convert it to an HPA gun. I would prefer something with wood, and not a modernized rail setup, or simulated wood. Brands on the short list are the CYMA, LTC and E&L. I would like the cost to be below the $400 mark as I still have to purchase the HPA engine. I plan on running a Storm on tank reg with the 33g adaptor “ranger banded” between the stock arms for a tankless setup. I don’t like the look of a M4 buffer tube stuck on the back of an AK. Also plan on R hop/flat hop(ing) the barrel, and suggestions of hopup units would be welcome as well.

*please only comment if you have first hand experiences with the gun, I have read and watched YouTube before ;-). *

2. Ben3721

Ben3721 Well-Known Member

Beware lately the beloved lct Aks (including the ghk gbb rifles) have had really poor quality control. I actually bought one and returned it because the outer barrel was off to one side really bad. But I've been hearing more bad things lately about lct as well.

Also avoid the lower end CYMA models. They aren't worth the hassle. I have one and had to work on the externals a bit to keep everything aligned and tight.

3. richman992

richman992 Well-Known Member

Rochester
    If you want good stamped steel externals you aren’t going to do much better than LCT or E&L. Though, as mentioned above LCT does have quality control issues. The ones I experienced weren’t as severe (crooked front sight block), but still present. E&L rifles on the other hand tend to rust easily in my experience unless cleaned and oiled fairly regularly.

JHat likes this.
  4. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    Fold Forward Style stock?

Do you mean an under folder stock, like this model?

[​IMG]

5. Graybeard

Graybeard Member

Silver Spring
  6. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    Your options are going to be very slim for this style.

It's not readily produced and sold now with an under folding stock.

And there is a design flaw with the lower cost units. The hinge is not very strong.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
  7. OutlawAirsoft

OutlawAirsoft Active Member

Hamilton
    I have an ICS AK with a skeleton side-folding stock that has been amazing. The furniture is real wood and the stamped receiver is very high quality. I would recommend one any day of the week.

My brother has one of these... Cyma I believe. And we found it wasn't the hinge that broke it was the arms right at the base. They're made of some cheap pot metal. Not steel.

8. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    It's the whole hinge/arm assembly...a major flaw due to it being made with low grade alloys.

9. OutlawAirsoft

Hamilton
    You're right about that. He broke his twice with moderate use (after I replaced it), and then dropped it on the concrete and smashed up the wood handle. XD

10. Squad144

Squad144 Active Member

Ocean Springs
    Sounds like something a little brother would do! Or am I mistaken and you are the more mature younger brother!? :D

To answer the OP's question, Guges Mk3 has an eBay page and on this ebay page, you can sometimes find some nice e&l essentials... It's a good option.

11. Graybeard

Graybeard Member

Silver Spring
    Hmmmmm, and how would I find this page?

EDIT* never mind….found it!

Last edited: Oct 17, 2021
  12. OutlawAirsoft

Hamilton
    Yeah, he's definitely the younger brother lol.

Squad144 likes this.
  13. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
  14. Squad144

Squad144 Active Member

Ocean Springs
    How many do you have in that model on hand? Price?

15. OutlawAirsoft

Hamilton
    Nooooooo!!!!!!
    I don't need another ak!
    (I need some serious therapy)

16. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    I got the last one.

$360.00 shipped.

[​IMG]

17. richman992

richman992 Well-Known Member

Rochester
    You ALWAYS need another AK. Therapy just costs money that could be spent on another AK.

Chow, OutlawAirsoft and Squad144 like this.
  18. Mr_Squid

Mr_Squid New Member

Manhattan
    If you want a folding stock, go with a side folding like a skeleton stock like a AK74u or a Ak 74.

Reason being is that you can get an M4 stock system for it.

19. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    That statement is more untrue than true. Not many side folding AK's can accommodate a "Drop in " changes to allow a buffer tube stock like this. Being that this industry is now terrible for manufacturing standards and things need to stay in the same manufacturer's line of products for it to work.

[​IMG]

20. Graybeard

Graybeard Member

Silver Spring
    as trying to avoid an m4 style buffer tube on it though. Looking for something that would look in place in those bad war movies from the 80s…

My next AK build will probably be an AK74u….

Chow likes this.