Looking for reccomendation to upgrade

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by EhrenW, Aug 7, 2012.

1. EhrenW

EhrenW New Member

Hi I'm looking for some recommendations

. I bought a UTG AK74LE a few months ago and have really enjoyed it this far. As an off brand I know it would be hard to find internals kits to upgrade it but if anyone has some good stores or brand names to check along with some tips I greatly appreciate it. I plan on buying a side rail next and adding a reflex/red dot sight.

image-1138736142.jpg

2. MasterK

MasterK New Member

Atlanta
    Shortyusa.com states " It is based on the previously release CYMA AK-47 however the UTG is more powerful, weighs more and has a better finish." Not sure how much compatibility that ensures.

3. EhrenW

EhrenW New Member

That's actually REALLY helpful. I hope that means whatever is CYMA compatible is compatible with my gun

4. Lefse

Lefse Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Can you post a photo of the gun with the upper cover taken off? Then we can see if it has a regular V3 gearbox, if it does, then there's a huge selection of compatible parts. It most likely has a regular V3 gearbox, but best to be sure before ordering any parts, right?

5. Fyzix

Fyzix Fyzzy Was Here. Supporting Member

Garland
    The UTG AK (As well as the Aftermath AK and the Cybergun AK) is a rebrand of the CYMA AK.

CYMA, IIRC, isn't fully TM compatible; but most upgrades *should* work with little to no modification.

6. EhrenW

EhrenW New Member

Yes very good point. I will do that when I got off work. It was oiinally purchased in 2010 and I bought it off my friend. So, I don't know if that make a difference

7. EhrenW

EhrenW New Member

I'd take a guess that most CYMA branded parts would fit it though right? Also it is an AK74 but dimension wise it seems to be the same as an AK47. Other than the flash suppressor for aesthetic differences is there any other differences. I'm mostly wondering because ive been eyeing a RIS kit for the fore handguard and I'd really like to not get duped and all they sell I'd for a 47

8. Lefse

If it's a rebranded CYMA AK, then you can use regular V3 internals, the cylinder head may have to be slightly modified to fit, but it's not difficult, just have to grind off a small tab on the cylinder head. External upgrades may be a bit more difficult though. I recently bought a CYMA motor grip that fit perfectly on my G&G AK-104 body, but would not fit my old CYMA AK-47 body, so not even CYMA parts are completely CYMA compatible, hehe.

9. EhrenW

EhrenW New Member

image-2864440649.jpg

image-3531519561.jpg

I'm not sure if these are the kinds of pics you're looking for. Also I just realized it was a NiCd battery is there anything i have to do if I want to use a NiMh? Can I just buy one and plug and play or do I need to upgrade the wiring?

10. mockingshot

mockingshot New Member

Buy a smart charger and a nimh 9.6v 1600mah+.

11. EhrenW

EhrenW New Member

I just bought a smart charger. So looks like a battery is next

12. cupcake5157

cupcake5157 New Member

Corvallis
    Bushings. Spring. Wait till stuff breaks then replace other stuff.

13. Lefse

Looks like I was too late. I would have recommended that you don't get an obsolete Ni-mh, but instead go for a nice 7.4v li-po. Can't really see much from those photos, but it looks like it probably has regular AEG internals, so that makes it very upgradeable. You could start by just doing an overhaul of the gearbox, clean everything, reshim the gears and relube them. You can also correct AOE on the piston and glue the bushings in place. If they are plastic, you should replace them with solid steel bushings. If you're happy with the performance as it is, you can wait until something breaks to open the gearbox.

14. EhrenW

EhrenW New Member

Performance is pretty good as is. I'd love to make it LiPo ready but unfortunately getting into the gearbox kind of scares me. And I don't have a lot of the tools necessary to rewire

15. Lefse

It should handle a 7.4v li-po, the rof will be close to a small 9.6v ni-mh, but with much better trigger response. I hate ni-mh batteries, they are big, heavy, weak, unreliable and obsolete. Li-po's are just yummy. :D

16. EhrenW

EhrenW New Member

So it should work just fine without any adjustments with a low voltage LiPo?

17. TheCaptainAlmighty

TheCaptainAlmighty New Member

Gallifrey
    Yes. The term lipo-ready refers to using an 11.1v Lipo. Some people say that it doesn't apply unless the gun can fire 20,000 rounds using an 11.1v. I don't know, but I use a 7.4v Lipo from hobbypartz.com that only cost $8.