Looking for some Assistance on Gear

Discussion in 'Clothing / Gear' started by ghostreconassault, Aug 29, 2012.

1. ghostreconassault

ghostreconassault New Member

I am sort of a beginner to the sport and need some assistance on the correct gear. I like for some help on what colors are best for both CQB and field play. If anyone could respond and help by giving their opinion on the best colors combination, it would be great.

2. Mikeinator

Mikeinator New Member

Northern VA (no more info, someone might find me...)
    I use OD green for cqb and field games. With a black undertone and accessories (kneepads, undershirt, gloves...)

3. ghostreconassault

Alright thanks and did you say you wear a black shirt under your rig or do you dress in all OD green

4. Mikeinator

Mikeinator New Member

OD vest, camp pants, black undershirt (under armour), black gloves, black kneepads, OD hat/helmet, black mesh face mask, and black goggles with black boots. The big things are OD, and everything else is black.

5. Rainbow

Rainbow New Member

If your field matches the teams with camo, try to buy the same as your friends so you can be on the same team

6. ghostreconassault

Ok thanks sounds pretty awesome

7. Mikeinator

Mikeinator New Member

Looks pretty awesome to with my black g36 with OD green accessories, I'll need to put some images up on the loadout thread.

8. ghostreconassault

I was thinking that but I don't think my friends want to get into it as much as I and go play other than the woods.

9. ghostreconassault

I'd love to see it if you do.

10. Knief

Knief Moderator Staff Member

Ann Arbor
    Ugh. No black. Never black. It's the right gear color choice maybe 1% of the time. Since you're buying gear for times other than that 1%, get something other than black. And probably stop listening to Mikeinator all together.

The best thing you can is find a camo that matches your environment well. Generally, if you're playing in the woods, M81 Woodland or woodland MARPAT are a good bet. If you're playing in a more arid climate but still with some foliage, Multicam works well. If you're playing in what amounts to a desert, 3 color DCU or Desert MARPAT are great choices.

For gear, khaki and coyote brown are the most universal colors. OD is a bit bright, but can work if the area you're playing in is a very very lush green forest. Ranger Green is nice for places where it's darker and wetter a lot (Michigan, probably Washington and Oregon, and I imagine much of England, for example).

11. ghostreconassault

Alright thanks, I am basically open to any option right now.

12. Mikeinator

Mikeinator New Member

My colors work fine for my needs, it's all indoor and outdoor CQB, have you heard of Airsoft cqb in manassas? It's a cool course, and with all of the OD, the black highlights it. They suit my needs so perhaps they would suit his similar needs.

13. Knief

Ann Arbor
    Unless the walls of your facility are painted black, then dressing in black doesn't suit your needs. You're creating high contrast, even in low light, against your surroundings. You'd be better off with navy or grey if you wanted to blend into a dark environment, or just about anything else with a subdued palette if the environment is more concrete and plywood. After bright neon colors, black is one of the worst colors you can wear. You'll always stand out because very little of your surroundings are as dark as you are. And the human eye is naturally attracted to contrast. I can't tell you how many guys I've killed because I could see their black gear stand out like a sore thumb. Had they been wearing green or tan, I never would have spotted them.

14. Mikeinator

Mikeinator New Member

It is dimly lit, and is full of black barrels, so yea it does fit my needs pretty well. And the outdoor cqb course is partly in the woods. My loadoit suits my needs perfectly, and could perhaps suit his if his course is similar, and he did say that it was cqb and a field, so it's his choice if he thinks it will suit him well at his course as well.

15. ghostreconassault

I honestly have never played airsoft at a place before, so I really have no idea of what people wear so I thank you guys for the options and suggestions.

16. Mikeinator

Mikeinator New Member

Well than you could search your local course, and check images to see what loadout would help you the most. Glad to be assistance anyways.

17. Knief

Ann Arbor
    "Dimly lit" is a far cry from lots of black. Black barrels are at least something, but low light has the same effect on the camo you're wearing as it does on everything else. If your BDUs would help you blend in better with the lights on, they'll help you blend in better with the lights out, too. Even in low light, black silhouettes you pretty bad. As the environment gets darker, so do your BDUs. Black stays darker than everything else for as long as the human eye can see. This isn't just my opinion, and it's not really subjective. Black stands out against everything but black. That's why so few militaries and police forces use black BDUs.

18. Mikeinator

Mikeinator New Member

Knief, I'm not trying to argue with you, I'm trying to help someone with what I know and use. And in Airsoft it technically doesn't matter what color you wear as long as you shoot them first.

19. Knief

Ann Arbor
    And I'm trying to help both you and him come to a better understanding of how what you wear interacts with your environment. You can take it or leave it, but there it is. Black is a bad uniform color. You're using a bad uniform color, and worse, you're suggesting a bad uniform color. You're free to wear whatever you want, but when you give bad advice, expect to be corrected.

20. ghostreconassault