Lumens Question

Discussion in 'General Accessory Discussion' started by Frostbite1, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Frostbite1

Frostbite1 New Member

Frisco
    Ok so I am going to get a weapon light but I have a question on how many lumens I should get. I'm playing mostly outdoors so I need something that will reach far but also be bright up close, swell as being able to mount to a gun using the 20mm Picatinny rail adaptors. I used the search feature and could not find a definitive answer, I was thinking anywhere from 130-150 lumens what do you guys think?

2. CQB

CQB New Member

I think that's not enough for outdoor unless its at night then your fine.

3. Frostbite1

Frostbite1 New Member

Frisco
    Well I'm planing on only using the flashlight at night, I should have put that on my OP.

4. _Wolf_

_Wolf_ New Member

The Night
    Anything from 100-200 if fine, much more than that and you'll be melting peoples' corneas.

5. Cobom

Cobom New Member

Orlando
    My light is not weapon mounted but I use it like a tac light like in video games. It's 650 lumens because it's a bike light

6. Shiftyshooter

Shiftyshooter Learn from your mistakes. Lifetime Supporter

Prague
    Are you sure it is that much? You do not usually need that much for a bike light.

7. Knief

Knief Moderator Moderator

Ann Arbor
    There's no real answer here. LED lights show more "illumination" for their lumen power because the light is whiter. Anything over 100 will get you in the ballpark, but the higher the better. Your light isn't there to light your way. Let your eyes adjust to the darkness and you'll be fine. Your light is an extension of your weapon. If you use it correctly, you can blind your opponent, giving you the opportunity to shoot him while he can't see you. For that purpose, the brighter the better.

Just like any kind of equipment, you have to learn to use it properly. You don't keep it on unless you want to send out a big signal to the entire field exactly where you are (Pro Tip: you don't). You also need to be careful that you don't silhouette your teammates. If you light up right behind them, you're basically making them glow in the dark, which puts a big target on them. There's a lot of information on proper light use out there if you do some digging. Get one, but learn how to use it effectively. It's not a camping flash light, it's a weaponized tool.

8. Protectionperfection

Protectionperfection New Member

Worcester
    when you get a light, make sure you find the difference between peak lumen and average lumen. I have a friend with a light that has 250 peak lumen but 2 min after you turn it on (constant or on and off) it drops down to 200 and then runs at 140-160 average throughout the battery life. Manufacturers try to make you think your buying this great light but they show the peak lumen of the initial turning on with fresh batteries.
    look for lights that dont use the term peak in the description of lumen. My streamlight TLR-1s runs at about 140 lumen and it states a 160 on the box. For the record, I use that light for indoor and outdoor and works wonders for visibility. How well you can see depends on the bean intensity and how tight you can make it. You want a focused beam for more direct light and a wide beam for general area. I like the focused beam outdoor but wider for indoor to fill the room

9. Frostbite1

Frostbite1 New Member

Frisco
    Ok thanks guys, this really helped. And I know some about light control, because I have played night games indoor and outdoor, but it was with a sad little 70 lumen flashlight that I had to tape onto my rifle. But it's nice to get a refresher, so thanks again.

10. fradd

fradd New Member

Night vision googles/scopes should be cheaper...

11. Frostbite1

Frostbite1 New Member

Frisco
    I hope you realize that NVG scopes/googles are easily $200+ at the cheapest, while a decent weapon light is closer to $50+. And I already got my weapon light a few days ago, but thanks anyway.

12. Urbanprodigy

Urbanprodigy New Member

That could be one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. Your probably thinking of the dummy parts you always see but those don't do anything

13. alex

alex New Member

Atlanta
    you can build a short range NV for less than $100. i did using cheapo security cam with a backup monitor (up to 50 feet, good for walking around the woods).

as for flashlight. a dim red LED is good for walking around the woods and a focused narrow beam to search open fields from beyond 300 feet (from harms way). i don't use flashlights much for outdoors, i stick with digital NV (900nm, no red glow). it feels like cheating when i can see them very clear and i'm invisible to them.

14. fradd

fradd New Member

No no no.

I meant, they SHOULD be cheaper than they are. I mean, a simple video camera with great night vision built in could be 100 dollars, but a single night vision scope or monocular is like 200+ dollars.

I don't see why.

15. CQB

CQB New Member

My brother just got a 200 lumen light and from 10 feet away I was literary blinded. This was in a fully lit room. 200 lumens will be a nice add to any RIS.