M14 badmr

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by BlueReaper46, Oct 29, 2012.

1. BlueReaper46

BlueReaper46 New Member

M14 BADMR Build

I am attempting to turn my old M14 Springer into a DMR, or as close to it as possible. So here is my M14 BADMR(Bolt Action Designated Marksman Rifle).

The Gun:
    Brand: Unknown
    Parts Compatible: None
    FPS: ~300
    Range: 15-20 yards
    Magazine Capacity: ~30 rounds

The Build:
    No parts compatible, huh...? This wouldn't be worth it if there was! I am going to attempt to manufacture parts out of steel and aluminum(depending on what part it is) and possibly buy a new spring if I can find one. If I can find a compatible barrel I will most likely install that, and an R-Hop if possible. Everything that isn't a spring, barrel, or hop-up part is being made by me, or at least attempted.

The Plan:
    Disassemble Gun
    Measure Internal Parts
    Design New Parts
    Manufacture parts out of aluminum or steel(Using lathe, mill, and other machines)
    Fit in new parts
    Test gun, re-evaluate and re-design if necessary
    Paint Gun

Done so far:
    This will be my update area on the status of the build, anything new will be posted here until I either finish the build, or run out of space.

10/29/12
    -Started Disassembly
    -Removed/Labeled Screws from body of gun
    -Removed receiver(I think) from body
    -Removed/Labeled screws from receiver
    -Removed butt pad(This was about a b****)
    -2 steel round bar weights and front sling attachment for cleaning
    -Stopped, could not take receiver apart due to a screw in the sight that I could not remove.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    So this is my project for who knows how long, let me know what you think! If you would like anymore information about it feel free to message me, or ask here. If I know the answer I will let you know. I am attempting to upload pictures but it keeps failing to upload, if anyone can help me with this it would be appreciated.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  2. TYSONtheSNIPER

TYSONtheSNIPER New Member

Edmonton
    Username94 did this. Obviously it will only accept DIY modifications. But after reading how his went, I wouldn't suggest it. Even after the modifications it won't be even close to DMR standards. If you want anymore feedback send a message to Username94.

Also if your planning on making new parts be prepared to spend a lot of money. I've also owned a spring M14, the internals on mine were extremely cheap. Even with your own made parts (assuming your going to stay with the original design) probably won't help it out a ton. But its your project, so do with it what you want. Just giving my opinions and knowledge.

Side note: are you still buying an L96 and upgrading it?

3. BlueReaper46

BlueReaper46 New Member

Once I raise the money, yes I am still buying a L96. This is just kind of a project to do in the mean time. I am pretty much going to see how far I can push this thing, what I can get out of it. I know it wont be nearly as good as an upgraded sniper or an actual DMR build, but it'll be fun.

On the note of money, I am going to be doing all the manufacturing at my school(the gun wont be there, of course) and the metal is extremely cheap because they buy in bulk.

4. TYSONtheSNIPER

Edmonton
    Ya, that's true. Building and modify guns is a blast. But I wouldn't spend to much money on this.

The gun your explaining almost sounds exactly like the one I had. Mine was a TSD (probably OEM for another company). One warning I can give you, don't jam it. The trigger assembly is mostly plastic if I remember correctly. And if you jam it and attempt to pull the bolt back it might break the trigger unit, therefore causing the gun to never fire again (this happened to mine, because my friend lacks basic knowledge).

5. BlueReaper46

BlueReaper46 New Member

I think its a different one, I looked inside(pulled it apart enough to look) and a lot seems to be metal. I dont plan on going broke on this.

6. TYSONtheSNIPER

Edmonton
    Good stuff man. Mine was a cheap chunk of plastic, lol. As for photos, are you on the computer or on the mobile app?

7. BlueReaper46

BlueReaper46 New Member

I am on my laptop as of right now. Mine was around $60, and its surprisingly well built, very sturdy, and has never had a firing problem.

8. Username94

Username94 New Member

New York City
    I got here as fast as I could! You said yours was mostly metal? Which parts?

9. BlueReaper46

BlueReaper46 New Member

It seems that way internally, though I could be very very wrong. I have not yet been able to get it open because of a screw that holds the sight together that I do not know how to get out. I would give a picture, but I can not seem to upload.

10. Username94

Username94 New Member

New York City
    My advice, leave that screw in and work around it. I'm telling you now almost none of the parts are metal besides the spring and the barrel. I had to leave that rear sight screw in and I had to split open the gun slightly and work around it. Yeah its hard I know.

11. BlueReaper46

BlueReaper46 New Member

How did you split it open?

Better question, how important is that screw...

Better yet! I got it out! It was a hex nut on the opposite side, got that off and it all slide right out

12. Username94

Username94 New Member

New York City
    Lol good. Nevermind then. What are your plans for modding?

13. BlueReaper46

BlueReaper46 New Member

doing what I can for air seal, and making new parts(piston, spring guide, cylinder, trigger, sear) out of metal(aluminum for piston(swiss cheesed to the max) steel for everything else. Not much else to do unless it can handle a stronger spring after upgraded, but I would probably have to make a new "bolt". Id upgrade the barrel... but I'd have to specially make/modify one.