M14 socom spring sniper 390 fps $49.99- should i get it?

Discussion in 'Spring Powered Guns' started by sniperGman, Jan 2, 2013.

1. sniperGman

sniperGman New Member

I am looking for a good, low priced sniper. Found this one on AirPlat.com. Should I get it?

2. rblevinski

rblevinski Active Member Supporting Member

Philadelphia
    No... It's not upgradeable you won't be able to make it any good in the future. If you don't plan on making it better in the future don't get it at all.

3. bob19922

bob19922 Active Member

Old bridge
    1. A sniper is a person.
    2. A sniper's rifle is built never bought, unless it is a used pre-upgraded gun.
    3. No that really won't give any good range at all, probably zero upgrade compatibility.
    4. If you really have your heart set on one talk to tyson he is very knowledgeable in this field, or shifty if he actually comes back.
    edit: kind of sniped.

4. sniperGman

sniperGman New Member

Then what would a good sniper rifle

5. rblevinski

Philadelphia
    I've heard good things about the JG Bar-10 and Vsr-10. I don't have experience with either but there are people on this forum that will agree with me that they are good upgrade platforms.

6. bob19922

bob19922 Active Member

Old bridge
    Jg bar 10 is a nice platform but I hope you know you have to sink a ton of cash into it just to get it to a level where it can out range most AEG's.
    edit: by tons I mean like $500+ just for upgrades.Sniped again. :(

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  7. Fyzix

Fyzix Fyzzy Was Here. Supporting Member

Garland
    6 points:

1. Defining 'sniper':
    A sniper is a person. I think you meant sniper rifle. If you did mean 'sniper', then I'm sorry, but buying and selling people is illegal in the US. You'll have to go to some third-world country, and I refuse to answer your question.

2. About spring rifles:
    (Most) spring rifles suck. (All) spring rifles under $100 will suck. They will break, and you won't be able to fix them (maybe some DIY fixes are available, but most likely no replacement parts) Get an AEG, or spend money to get a good springer. If you get a (good) springer, prepare to dump money into it to make it perform.

3. What should you do?
    Forget about a budget. You want a sniper rifle? Well, sniper rifles are like DMRs (Designated Marksman Rifle) They're built, not bought. In your case, going the DM role would probably be cheaper.

4. Building your sniper rifle:
    A sniper rifle would take a base of oh, say
    UTG L96
    JG Bar-10
    or
    JG VSR-10.
    (or some other clone)

Now that we've spent $150 on a good base, let's look at internals!
    The first thing to go on sniper rifles are the sears and/or trigger box.
    Congratulations. You just spent ~$100 on a new trigger box, and $80 on a new set of sears!

Now that that's aside, we have the FPS upgrades (spring guide, spring and piston):
    You can either buy all 3 parts separately, or you can buy them at one time, and only spend about $50. Buying each part separately would cost you way more than that. (~$12 for the spring, ~$18 for the spring guide, ~$35 for the piston.)

Now, we have the cylinder head. That will set you back about $80.

Next come hop-up and barrel spacers (Not sure if these are necessary or not)
    That will set you back about $30.

Then there's the fine tuning and DIY mods (look around the forums, they're stickied somewhere.)
    That will cost you a few hours (at least) of your time.

Congratulations, you now have a very, very nice sniper rifle. Once you get some skill, you'll probably be something to watch out for on the field.

Note: All prices taken from AirsoftGI.com.

5. Ask yourself a question:
    Now. Ask yourself: Was it worth the ~$500 it cost me? Do I enjoy crawling around in thorns, briars and poison ivy (or other uncomfortable terrain)?
    Yes?
    I made a great investment.
    No?
    Oops! I'm gonna sell this for less than half the price it cost me to build and buy an AEG (Like I should have done in the first place).

6. Other (more cheap and smart) options:
    Now: I'm guessing you're new to the sport, correct?

(New = never had a high-quality AEG before)

If you are, I would highly suggest buying a CYMA M14. It's a great DMR platform, mostly Marui compatible, and turning it into a DMR won't be nearly as expensive as making a good sniper rifle. Mine, with only a few mods, can hit out to about 200 feet accurately. And it probably only cost $250-300 to build.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  8. Fyzix

Fyzix Fyzzy Was Here. Supporting Member

Garland
    Can't tell if trolling or serious......

9. rblevinski

Philadelphia
    Trolling. He's done it on like 5 different threads.

10. BlueReaper46

BlueReaper46 Member

Look for a JG BAR-10 or UTG L96, UTG L96 would be a better choice, APS-2 is a better system. However, both will perform well once upgraded. Expect to sink several hundred dollars into upgrading.

11. Potation

Potation New Member

Fremont
    Fyzix, I find it cheaper and more effective to upgrade the hop up/inner barrel before the sears. Most stock guns can handle the fps they are at, and to upgrade fps, you will need to upgrade a whole host of things such as a better cylinder and sears. With just a new hop up, rhop, barrel, and cheap DIY mods, you can get dramatically increased range and accuracy. However, I do agree with everything you say on the subject of building a rifle, not buying one.
    To the OP, be prepared for a lot of tinkering and tuning, its not easy. Even then, the role of a sniper is to wait and to pick off high value targets. If you want to run around, blasting away, you are better off with an AEG.

Edit: For more sniper related information, check out airsoft sniper forum. They have guides on almost everything related to airsoft sniping. Also, there is a good marketplace for sniper rifle parts!

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013