m14 vs l85

Discussion in 'What Gun Should I Get?' started by deadeye, Oct 25, 2012.

1. deadeye

deadeye New Member

in between chicago and milwakee
    I have been looking for a new dmr base for a while, and i have narrowed the search down to 2 guns, the ics l85, and the gp m14. also know that i am not that comfortable opening a gearbox and installing upgrades so keep that in mind
    i need to know which has better
    range
    accuracy
    reliablity
    and stock preformance

if you know of any flaws on these guns please state them, also if you think you know a better gun that would serve as a dmr base please let me know.

2. Star_folder

Star_folder New Member

Lexington
    So, you want a stock gun to be a DMR? That's not going to work, it's just going to be a stock gun.

The G&G L85 will make a better DMR than the ICS L85. It would also be a better DMR than the G&P M14.

3. deadeye

deadeye New Member

bro i apprecate your info on the g&g l85, but you are the only one who has suggested it. the problem i have with that gun is that from what i understand it needs to be upgraded immedatly after buying it in order to keep it from braking, and i am not confident i could go into a gearbox and not destroy the gun. the other problem is that i will be useing either gun stock for a while and adding to it over time, so as i stated stock preformance is important

But i do thank you for trying to steer me in the right direction, also if i am wrong about any of the information i stated please correct me

4. Star_folder

Star_folder New Member

Lexington
    The G&G will run just fine stock. The reason it breaks is cause people put heavier batteries without upgrading the gun. Stock, all the gun needs is an 7.4v or 9.6v. You stick anything higher than that and it'll strip the piston.

2 reasons this will happen.

1st, the piston is 19 tooth. Just like a PSG-1 and SR-25. This gives you a significant amount of extra air which is perfect for DMRs.

2nd, the gun is precocking. This means that when you pull the trigger, it fires backwards from your normal AEG. Fires first, and then winds the piston to the back of the gearbox. You'll pull the trigger again and it'll immediately fire, and then wind the piston back. This gives you fantastic trigger response even though you'll have a smaller powered battery. If you want to upgrade the battery, you have to put a heavier spring in the gun.

These two reasons, and most of the gun being upgradeable, make it one of the best upgrading platforms for a DMR on the market.

More or less, any gun can be made to a DMR, it's really just personal preference. Had I the choice between an ICS L85 or a G&P M14, I'd get the G&P. I think it's an awesome gun, and the ICS L85 is a bleh gun imo. G&P isn't much better, but it looks much cooler to me.

Just pick whichever gun you like the looks of and go from there.

5. deadeye

deadeye New Member

thank you for your input, you are obviously very experienced with l85's, and i thank you for your info, but i cant find the l85 in stock, and i dont know when they will come back in stock so are their any other suggestions or commments

6. Star_folder

Star_folder New Member

Lexington
    I've worked lots on all kinds of L85s, so I know what's up about them. The G&G's L85 has changed a little, it's carbine length now, and I'm not sure if it's hit the US yet, you might have to order it from over seas if you've got your heart set on it. The ARMY R85 is a clone of the G&G, if you don't mind the chiclone quality, it's a good copy, and considerably cheaper than the G&G L85.

7. deadeye

deadeye New Member

so would you also reccomend the carbine length verson also even if it is a dmr base gun, because i have a feeling that it might not be such a great base with such a short barrel. on the field i play at i would need at least 200ft accuracy if i was going to turn it into a dmr

8. M4Ever

M4Ever New Member

San Antonio
    Ok bud, I don't mean to insult or anything, but if you are turning ANYTHING into a DMR, you are going to have to get into the gearbox if you want good results. There's really only so much you can get out of a gun w/out opening the gb. Even with barrel and hopup upgrades, there's so much more you could get than stock performance. So...in saying that, I think you oughta look into a DMR base that has plenty of options on the internal facet of things, or at least keep that in mind when buying.

9. deadeye

deadeye New Member

yeah, i know that, and im not insulted.
    i realize i will be opening the gearbox, but i will be running the gun i buy stock for a while, and add in parts over time. basicly i made this thread because i wanted to know about turning these guns into succesful dmr's from experienced airsofters, i know eventualy i will be comfortable opening the gearbox, and gutting a gun, but right now i need to know first hand that if i buy a specific gun, and do a specific mod/ upgrade to it, i will get a positive result. thanks for your concern, by the way if you have any suggestions that would be great

10. M4Ever

M4Ever New Member

San Antonio
    Good. You've got a good mindset. That's what I've done with my M4A1. I am almost done with it. I did what I think you're trying to do. I had to amass all my parts over three years because I never had money. Anyway...this is not a brag on your gun thread so...

I would say the three most important things for a DMR, at least IMO, are 1) finely tuned hop up, 2) perfect air pressure and 3) trigger response.

11. haml

haml Member

Somers
    Welllll, i've had the g&p m14 (LOVED IT) and now have the ICS L85 (love it also). As mentioned above, you'll have to open the GB somewhere down the line. Buutttt, for the L85, if all you do is change the barrel, motor for it that will be fine because the ICS has the quick change spring feature. The internals are good also.

If you are looking for SOLID L85 advice, Star Folder is the man. I followed Stars advice with the L85 and added a CASV RAS along with some internal upgrades. Couldn't be happier. It not only turns heads but is a real performer.