Airsoft Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts
M4Ever said:
Yeah, I looked around here on the forum and found some other guy with the problem and someone suggested cylinder head height. And considering I had a new cylinder head I thought that might be my problem. So I threw the old head in there and it works great, and I compared the two and that's what it is. I will file it down tomorrow. Thanks for the help.
Mine did that too and so I didn't know wat to do and I just bought a new gearbox and it did nothing!! 

Discussion starter · #22 ·
BRTSoloWing said:
Okay I see your filling isent too straight, that it self could be the problem now, don't do any filling on the air nozzle, that will just mess it up and youll have to get a new one. Try to straighten the end of the cylinder nozzle, and if you have a fine piece of sand paper, use that to sand the rough edge a little and try that

EDIT: Sorry I looked at the wrong cylinder head, yes file it a little more, but not to much, and try the sand paper trick as well. Also check the compression before you put it back together as well
Ok. I'll go a little bit further and then clean it up and get back to you.

M4Ever said:
Ok. I'll go a little bit further and then clean it up and get back to you.
Okay, hopefully this will get you going now

Discussion starter · #24 ·
BRTSoloWing said:
Okay, hopefully this will get you going now
Ok. So, shaved it down some more and cleaned it up a bit. And it again is shooting those pathetic weak shots each time. So the positive is that it's shooting every time. Even on full auto.
The bad part now: it's making a scratchy sound when shooting on full auto. This thing has been shimmed to perfection, so I know it's not that. I have no idea what's wrong with it. What is a binding tappet plate sound like? Could it be something like that?

Attachments

M4Ever said:
Ok. So, shaved it down some more and cleaned it up a bit. And it again is shooting those pathetic weak shots each time. So the positive is that it's shooting every time. Even on full auto.
The bad part now: it's making a scratchy sound when shooting on full auto. This thing has been shimmed to perfection, so I know it's not that. I have no idea what's wrong with it. What is a binding tappet plate sound like? Could it be something like that?
Did you check your compression? And look and see if your bucking got messed up maybe

Discussion starter · #26 ·
BRTSoloWing said:
Did you check your compression? And look and see if your bucking got messed up maybe
Compression is good, even with the nozzle extended. Solved the scratchy sound. Could it be that the nozzle isn't getting pushed far enough forward to get proper compression in the hopup?

i'm skipping the mid section of this thread. from what i understand, the first shot fires fine then the next consecutive shots are blanks. if the first shot is fine, that tells me that the tappet plate is pulling far back as normal. if it didn't, there would be no bb's being loaded.

next step is to isolate the problem. turn the AEG upside down and drop a bb in the feed tube then shoot. if it shoots, then your nozzle/tappet/timing is fine. most likely a crappy mag. if it doesn't shoot a bb, keep shooting until the nozzle clears the tube. also check to see if the bucking is interfering. if the nozzle barely clears the tube, then you need to check how far the sector gear pulls the tappet plate. without knowing any history, i'm going to assume this is an old AEG with a worn out tappet plate. you can replace the worn out tappet plate. if this is a new build, then you didn't match up the tappet plate with the sector gear correctly. some sector gear have a shorter pull than others and some tappet plates are longer/shorter than others.

post back on how far back the tappet plate is pulled back by the sector gear. if there is still a gap and doesn't pull it back all the way, there are mods you can do to fix that. if the tappet and sector gear is fine, and the nozzle is still slightly interfering, shimming the hopup forward can fix that (trimming the nozzle usually ends up leaking with the bucking).

if you chopped your cylinder head nozzle tube, then replace the cylinder head

forgot to mention: if the sector gear is shimmed to high, it will rub against the tappet plate and cause either misfeeds or bb dropping within 25-50 feet.

Discussion starter · #28 ·
alex said:
i'm skipping the mid section of this thread. from what i understand, the first shot fires fine then the next consecutive shots are blanks. if the first shot is fine, that tells me that the tappet plate is pulling far back as normal. if it didn't, there would be no bb's being loaded.

next step is to isolate the problem. turn the AEG upside down and drop a bb in the feed tube then shoot. if it shoots, then your nozzle/tappet/timing is fine. most likely a crappy mag. if it doesn't shoot a bb, keep shooting until the nozzle clears the tube. also check to see if the bucking is interfering. if the nozzle barely clears the tube, then you need to check how far the sector gear pulls the tappet plate. without knowing any history, i'm going to assume this is an old AEG with a worn out tappet plate. you can replace the worn out tappet plate. if this is a new build, then you didn't match up the tappet plate with the sector gear correctly. some sector gear have a shorter pull than others and some tappet plates are longer/shorter than others.

post back on how far back the tappet plate is pulled back by the sector gear. if there is still a gap and doesn't pull it back all the way, there are mods you can do to fix that. if the tappet and sector gear is fine, and the nozzle is still slightly interfering, shimming the hopup forward can fix that (trimming the nozzle usually ends up leaking with the bucking).

if you chopped your cylinder head nozzle tube, then replace the cylinder head
Ok. Thanks Alex. Let me update you. It will now fire on every shot, even full auto. So I guess that means the tappet isn't a problem. Now the problem is the shots are really weak. The compression in the cylinder w/ air nozzle is good. So that leads me to believe its happening with the hopup. I don't know how to fix that.

alex said:

Lol I was going to tell him to pm you if we couldent get it, thank for coming lol

Discussion starter · #30 ·
Ok. So knowing what you do now, what should e my next change? The shots are greatly underpowered, and I don't know how to fix it. A bb will feed every time so the feeding problem seems to be fixed. I just now have to grant it power. And I am at a loss of how to do so.
Any ideas? Need any pics or tests? I can get you the info you need.

with the gearbox opened, put your tappet plate assembly together and test piston compression. the tappet plate should be pushing the nozzle forward as you plug the nozzle with your finger. this is to test the nozzle to cylinder for leakage. if that seals fine, then next step is to test nozzle to bucking seal.

if everything seals fine, then you will need to make sure your sector gear isn't shimmed too high which will cause it to rub against the tappet plate (causing loss of power, off timing).

Discussion starter · #33 ·
alex said:
with the gearbox opened, put your tappet plate assembly together and test piston compression. the tappet plate should be pushing the nozzle forward as you plug the nozzle with your finger. this is to test the nozzle to cylinder for leakage. if that seals fine, then next step is to test nozzle to bucking seal.

Video Link:

if everything seals fine, then you will need to make sure your sector gear isn't shimmed too high which will cause it to rub against the tappet plate (causing loss of power, off timing).

Dude! Perfect video! Ok, so as I said, the cylinder to air nozzle is identical to the video, to the letter. Now, with the hopup, the problem is obvious, major air leak. The piston slides forward smoothly, as it Shouldn't! So, now how to fix it?

M4Ever said:
Dude! Perfect video! Ok, so as I said, the cylinder to air nozzle is identical to the video, to the letter. Now, with the hopup, the problem is obvious, major air leak. The piston slides forward smoothly, as it Shouldn't! So, now how to fix it?
I'm still learning that my self, so I'm not much help there, but there's a sticky in gun repair froms that should help

For the hop up check the bucking for any rips or even the smallest crack. If so buy a new one. If not check the seal of the bucking and barrel, it should be tight enough. Also do the dental floss mod it should help.

Discussion starter · #37 ·
Ok guys, ya'll rock!! my gun is feeding perfectly, no problems with compression. I do have different problem now, and that is with the hopup.

So I have this 509mm 6.01mm barrel and a REAPS hopup bucking. after finding out that the air leak was by this bucking, I used permatex, dental floss and Teflon tape to seal it. And it seems to do the job. The problem is this, I have a really low fps, and a range that is about...40 yards and about 300fps, much lower than normal (Those are my best estimates, no chrono and 39 paces away). the bb seems to have a trajectory that is over-arcing, so it's like the hopup is putting on excessive amounts of spin but there's no power behiind it so it falls short. Do not know how to solve this.

I played today, so I stuck in my previous 455mm 6.03mm barrel and stock hopup, and it did fairly well, still feel like it was a pathetic range, not quite what it used to have, but its a stock hopup and an imperfect airseal.

Please help. I am very willing to try ideas. I can post pics and test anything you need.

I'm still working on this my self, I use a JLS FN 2000 for cqb, so range isent a problem, but i have to use the stock hop up on it because I haven't found a aftermarket one for it yet. Iv been following the how to fine tune a hop up sticky and finely finished, do ill see how it goes tomarow. As for your loss of power as it seems, I'm stumped. Are you still on the stock spring? If so I worder if its gotten soft maybe?

Discussion starter · #39 ·
I'm still working on this my self, I use a JLS FN 2000 for cqb, so range isent a problem, but i have to use the stock hop up on it because I haven't found a aftermarket one for it yet. Iv been following the how to fine tune a hop up sticky and finely finished, do ill see how it goes tomarow. As for your loss of power as it seems, I'm stumped. Are you still on the stock spring? If so I worder if its gotten soft maybe?
It's M120, I'm pretty sure it's not gone soft. I researched REAPS problems, and I found a couple of guys who like me, seemed to lose range and power significantly. Still working on a solution. i might just go ahead and flat hop it.

M4Ever said:
It's M120, I'm pretty sure it's not gone soft. I researched REAPS problems, and I found a couple of guys who like me, seemed to lose range and power significantly. Still working on a solution. i might just go ahead and flat hop it.
If you flat hop it you'll lose use of your full auto, I don't know why but flat hops hate it, and you won't be able to hit the brod side of a barn with it. I just put a S H S in my FN 2000 and I'm going to try it, if I like it I'm going to put one in my M16 sniper as well

21 - 40 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.