M4 Maintenance

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by NobleNik22, Jul 25, 2016.

1. NobleNik22

NobleNik22 New Member

I have a M4 I've been siliconing it after games and of course I wipe it dry in my barrel. I've heard somewhere that you should use hot water to clean your barrel, I was thinking to do that and then re-silicon it. Should I use hot water? would it damage my hop up rubber or anything else? or how hot should it be to be safe and clean the oil.

2. Zaryk

Zaryk Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Southern
    I never use oil inside the barrel of an airsoft gun. It will get oil on the bucking, which lets the bucking absorb oil making it much less effective and that means worse range and accuracy. Buckings work on friction and the oil will not allow the bucking to get much friction on the bb.

I normally clean my barrel with rubbing alcohol. A little bit goes a long way, too much can also damage the bucking. Hot water is fine to use as well, just be sure to dry it all out with a clean dry cloth.

3. BoogerMc

BoogerMc Airsoft Jedi Master Supporting Member

Akron
    To add to that, I use an alcohol pad cut in half and slipped in the end of an unjamming rod. The pads are about one inch square and have just the right amount of alcohol on them, but the slot on the rod is only large enough to handle half the width of a single pad, which is why I cut them in half. Let the other half dry out and use it to dry and clean the barrel. You can buy them at any pharmacy or Walmart for a few bucks and you get enough to last a while. Sometimes you can even find them at the dollar stores, which makes them an even better bargain.

4. NobleNik22

NobleNik22 New Member

How far should I go in if I use hot water? is it fine to go all the way? Also my silicon oil says its safe for rubber and plastic. Also when I do clean my barrel with oil I wipe it dry with some more cloth to the end.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
  5. Zaryk

Zaryk Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Southern
    If you shut off the hop up then you can go all the way with the hot water.

No matter if the oil says it's safe for rubber, a bucking can still absorb the oil and swell up, ruining the bucking. I suggest not using oil in the barrel or hop up unit at all, alcohol works better at cleaning, evaporates quickly, and does not negatively effect the performance of the gun.

6. BoogerMc

BoogerMc Airsoft Jedi Master Supporting Member

Akron
    Best bet is 90% by volume rubbing alcohol, real cheap stuff. But nothing lower than 70% by volume.