M4 motor grips with good motor alignment.

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by Th4tFkinNINJA, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Th4tFkinNINJA

Th4tFkinNINJA New Member

N/A
    Anyone know any grips that has good motor alignments. And do those umbrella/madbull grips have good alignment?

2. Dannyboyextreme

Dannyboyextreme Active Member

Burbank
    As long as it isnt an MOE grip, a lot of grips have fine motor angles. I personally use the APS battlegrips but if you find your grip slightly off, you can watch this video!

[ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WSV8vn9veXs[/ame]

3. Zaryk

Zaryk Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Southern
    It all depends on what your putting it on. One grip may align perfect with my gun, but the same grip have awful alignment in yours. Buying a pistol grip can be a crap shoot sometimes.

4. -Spitfire-

-Spitfire- Well-Known Member

Oceanside
    Reviving this briefly...Anyone know how good the motor angle on G&P grips[paired with G&P receivers] is? Kinda wanna go with a non-PTS grip for this build [yes, I'm friggin building an m4. Yes, I hate myself right now].

Honeybadgerz17 likes this.
  5. link0

link0 Well-Known Member

SF Bay Area
    Not sure about G&P in particular, but I've had great luck with the super cheap ZCI m4 grips from Clandestineairsoft. They have metal screw holes, which is so key. The plastic screw holes on most M4 grips strip so quickly.

-Spitfire- likes this.
  6. airsoftmaniacman

airsoftmaniacman Active Member

Baltimore
    The PTS EPGs and Madbull Umbrella Corp grips are well known for having good motor angles. The PTS EPG-Cs are typically good, but it's not as guaranteed as the EPG.

-Spitfire- likes this.
  7. -Spitfire-

Oceanside
    Yup. Primarily wondering about G&P grips though.

8. dingo_

dingo_ Member

boston
    I'll try to remember to get back to you in the AM when I get home from work. I just got a g&p grip and motor alignment checker tool in the mail yesterday.

-Spitfire- likes this.
  9. -Spitfire-

Oceanside
    Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

10. BOA_SP3CT3R

BOA_SP3CT3R Moderator Staff Member Moderator Supporting Member

Bull Shoals
    You're building an M4?

11. -Spitfire-

Oceanside
    Unfortunately. I'm still trying to figure out how to distinguish it as .300blk and not a standard 5.56 variant... *sigh.

12. dingo_

dingo_ Member

boston
    Alignment pics here
    using g&p receiver, this g&p snakeskin grip, and shs cnc gearbox

The grip looks extremely snug on the receiver, I will be doing some filing when I actually put it together to ensure its fully on the gearbox. I don't think it'd throw off the alignment much, if any for the sake of these pictures though.

-Spitfire- likes this.
  13. Sitting_Duck

Sitting_Duck Well-Known Member

Avoid cheapo clone Magpul grips - very often the angle is terrible to crap

Over time, I have come to the conclusion....
    If stock grip is OK for angle & comfort - leave it, you hardly see in use anyway
    start changing around grips coz it looks better often can lead to headaches

I have bought a number of grips that "look" really nice only to have WTF issues
    If stock grip angle is near enough sound, add a bit of material one side to correct slightly
    Or around motor (aluminium tape sort of stuff & what material required) to take up slack
    So motor & its angle is maintained without flying about with loads of slack inside grip

Shim up as perfectly as you can and just run with it

headaches like grips not fitting - too tight/loose, pi$$ poor angles, motor plates not fitting
    yeah a pita some grip swaps can be & known some say f*ck it and go back to stock grip

Fine, upgrade/change out your grip, but just be careful these changes don't make it worse

Maybe I should get one of them alignment tools for say G3's or MP5's
    but M4's I usually have a pretty good eye to check motor spindle runs in line to bevel axle
    coz that is the central point of alignment the tool starts from & is based on
    so if shaft & pinion "seem" to run in direct alignment to bevel axle - it's fairly accurate
    well if you got a decent eye for detail imho but of course the tool is more accurate
    on other v2 box guns like I mentioned you don't get to see stuff so easily in half a box
    Which when you think about many other guns - often you can't change grips
    so you might then ask why bother or worry about it all too much perhaps
    (C'mon, the v2 and its motor alignment is a hit n miss pig at times vs say AK)

Just be careful about making matters worse just for the look of stuff
    if a grip is bang on for some/most boxes then yes please share your findings
    (and even what grips to avoid perhaps)
    best of luck to all

Last edited: May 19, 2018
  14. cetane

cetane Well-Known Member

Markham & Stouffville, Ontario, Canada
    As stated above, the oem standard grips seem to work best :-/ sand off the finger stop, and stipple with a cheapo soldering iron.. give it a “custom” look & feel for nothing but your own labour costs.

BOA_SP3CT3R and Sitting_Duck like this.
  15. -Spitfire-

Oceanside
    Except that the body I have didn't come with a pistol grip..

16. Sitting_Duck

Sitting_Duck Well-Known Member

Except that the body I have takes a lot of work each week to stay in shape....

This week's shape is a large bag of potatoes :D
    or
    I'm always using that new machine at the gym, it's called a vending machine :D :D

OK I'll get me coat
    ahem, fair do's - I get it now about the alignment stuff with other grip you got

Last edited: May 19, 2018
    -Spitfire- and BOA_SP3CT3R like this.
  17. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    Put a short heavy barrel on it, 8"

Want a G&P Grip I have spares.

My real 300BLK "pistol" has a G&P Rail system on it....

-Spitfire- likes this.
  18. -Spitfire-

Oceanside
    Not tracking on what you intend with the 8" barrel...rephrase please?

Depends on what you've got... trying to avoid standard A2 grips, and it'd need to be cheaper than Evike... then again, if you've got the screws that attach the grip to the GB, that would kill two birds with one pizza. I'll have to shoot you a PM.

19. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    Most 300BLK build take advantage of the "large pistol" caliber that this cartridge is classified as. So, with that...anything longer than 8" is not giving you much in FPS. I saw a prototype that is only going to use a ~5" barrel.

So, use a short HB to simulate a 300BLK barrel.

As for the grip, I will have to dig around...I have the screws for sure...have lots of them. Might have some in tan and some IA grips too.

-Spitfire- likes this.
  20. -Spitfire-

Oceanside
    I've never heard anyone classify it as a pistol round... smg, maybe, but .30 is bit big for most pistols [admittedly my CCW is 7.62, but that's just me being a jerk]. As for .300BLK, it's optimized for 9-10 inch barrels. Good point about the barrel length though... I'll have to look into that.