M4 upgraded hop for DMR project

Discussion in 'Electric Guns' started by alan0387, Nov 21, 2015.

1. alan0387

alan0387 New Member

Hey folks,
    I have been browsing various sites for upgrade options for my M4 to convert to a DMR. I have seen a number of M4 style hops that use a g36 style rotating barrel instead of an adjustment wheel.
    Are these any good? Are they more stable or consistent than a conventional style hop? I was inclined to think so due to not reading many topics on g36 hops outside of replacing the bucking.
    Any info would be of great help!

Thanks in advance
    Alan

2. NeoAugAU-3G

NeoAugAU-3G Active Member

Las Vegas
    Both work just fine, but some upper receivers don't allow enough space for the wheel type. There is a sticky about fine tuning a hop up in which they describe using aluminum foil to tighten up the adjustment knob. if you are concerned about it working itself loose look into this, if not its a good read anyhow.

3. alan0387

alan0387 New Member

Cheers thanks a mill for the quick reply, very much appreciated! I'll find it and give it a read, I'm obviously blind if I missed a sticky......whoops

Edit: Yeup like 20s later I find it, my god I think I need to start drinking more coffee........ ;)

Last edited: Nov 21, 2015
  4. OlbuddyOlpal

OlbuddyOlpal New Member

Canyon Lake
    Hey buddy!
    If you're comfortable with a drill and hand tap. You could do a TDC modification (Top Dead Center). They usually do this for VSR sniper rifles, But It works with pretty much any other gun. This will give you the most consistent hop. Also, shim the hop up arm with aluminum tape. R-Hop It if you can. Cheers, Clay

5. alan0387

alan0387 New Member

Hey OlbuddyOlpal,
    I have done the TDC on my vsr clone. was good, worked very well but I need to shim the arm now on that! didn't realise it was possible on an M4?!
    R-hop and flat-hop were actually my next things to research because I have no idea what they are! I'll do a bit searching on here and on Google!

Cheers for the reply!
    Alan

Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
  6. OlbuddyOlpal

OlbuddyOlpal New Member

Canyon Lake
    Hey Alan,
    Anytime buddy! It's very possible to do a TDC on an M4. It will require you to drill the top of your receiver. Tricky part will be aligning the hole with the hop-up arm itself. It's really uncommon to see this done on an AEG, main reason why you won't have much luck researching it. Should note that If your receiver is plastic...You'll want to be VERY careful doing this.

I'll be starting up a YouTube channel in about a month or two. Which will cover modifications such as this. As well as tutorials on how to go about doing them.

You'll definitely want to look into an LRB as well. Far as the R-Hop and Flat-Hop...I typically buy my own Silicone Tubing for it. Since It's much cheaper then the kits itself. There's plenty of info online and even YouTube.

If you have anymore questions, Feel free to PM me.
    Cheers, Clay

7. alan0387

alan0387 New Member

Cheers man thanks a mill, very much appreciated! I may drop you a pm over the next week or so after a bit of research! My M4 is a full metal D-Boys, and I'm a BMW Technician by trade so taps and dies are amongst my skillset thankfully! Off to you-tube I go!

Thanks!
    Alan

8. BenTheBarre

BenTheBarre Member

Spokane
    I'd really like to see this AEG m4 tdc! I kinda want to experiment with one. OlbuddyOlpal, what is your channel name?

9. NeoAugAU-3G

Las Vegas
    They are very nice when done right, but extremely hard to do in an m4. if you have oodles of free time and the right equipment go for it, as for me, i have kids.... no free time for that lol

10. alan0387

alan0387 New Member

I have 2 kids myself, getting out for a game is hard enough, so sometimes I use my lunch break in work to do some mods or preps for mods!

11. NeoAugAU-3G

Las Vegas
    i wait till mine go to bed then tech till i can't see straight.... like once a week.

12. TreyKreitzer9mmAirsoft

TreyKreitzer9mmAirsoft New Member

Both of those are great I test shot them!!