Mail Fraud Help

Discussion in 'Staging Area' started by TheLostCause, Aug 15, 2012.

1. TheLostCause

TheLostCause New Member

On ebay I sold a Monitor 18.5" LCD for $30 plus $10 shipping. Well I had no idea what media mail was. It was cheap and it said educational purpose and Hard drives and etc. So I thought I could ship a monitor. Well the post office made the person who bought the item pay $8 more to pick it up. He is demanding that I send $8 or he will file it as mail fraud can he do this?

2. Leonidas

Leonidas New Member

Des Moines

I don't think it'll be fraud. It is not being fully honest but definitely not fraud

3. Urbanprodigy

Urbanprodigy New Member

If you can afford $8 then I'd just sen it. If the guy is filing mail fraud over $8 he is obviously is a bad financial state, so just give him $8 and help him out a bit. Plus you didn't know exactly what you were using to ship so it is your fault

4. stxrus

stxrus New Member

Cotton Valley
    why did the recipient have to pay more? did you not pay for the shipping? my P.O. will not take partial payment for postage

5. Grudge

Grudge New Member

Winnipeg
    From USPS website:

The material sent must be educational media. It can’t contain advertising, video games, computer drives, or digital drives of any kind. •Media Mail® can be examined by postal staff to determine if the right price has been paid. If the package is wrapped in a way that makes it impossible to examine, it will be charged the First-Class™ rate.
    •Maximum weight is 70 lbs.
    •Maximum combined length and girth of 108". Meaning it can’t be larger than the combined measurement of the longest side and the distance around the thickest part.

Since they didn't get the first class rate when dropped off they collected at delivery.

We get that all the time in Canada! (usually its something coming across the boarder though)

6. stxrus

stxrus New Member

Cotton Valley
    learn something new every day. thanks

7. TheLostCause

TheLostCause New Member

So is this considered mail fraud?

8. stxrus

stxrus New Member

Cotton Valley
    i would say no. just an honest mistake. you owe the purchaser the balance of the postage