Massachusetts law.

Discussion in 'General Airsoft Discussion' started by destroyer66, Jan 13, 2016.

1. destroyer66

destroyer66 New Member

Does anyone know much about the new law in Massachusetts that requires barrel plugs on replica firearms.

2. TheInfidel23

TheInfidel23 Resident Derp Supporting Member

Greenville
    Legacy Airsoft, one of our forum Mods, has done a lot of reading and posting on the subject. I'm sure he'll drop in soon.

3. ma_airsoft

ma_airsoft Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I don't know quite as much as Legacy, but I'm also from Mass so the law would affect me as well, so I did the best I could to understand it. Here's what I do know, and it's not a lot:

So from what I understand, the definition of an "imitation firearm" is what they are trying to change. Before, there were 5 definitions, and they are now trying to replace them with a new set. The change is this, "the object is made of plastic, wood, metal or any other material which substantially duplicates or can reasonably be perceived to be an actual firearm, rifle, shotgun, air rifle or hand gun, pellet gun, or “B-B” gun, unless such air rifle or hand gun, pellet gun, “B-B” gun or device or object: (i) is colored other than black, blue, silver or aluminum; (ii) is marked with a non-removable orange stripe which is at least 1 inch in width and runs the entire length of the barrel on each side and, the front end of the barrel;"

This is where the issue comes in, " and (iii) has a barrel at least 1 inch in diameter that is closed for a distance of not less than one-half inch from the front-end of its barrel with the same material of 15 which the imitation firearm is made. “Imitation firearm” does not include any non-firing replica 16 of an antique firearm, the original of which was designed, manufactured and produced prior to 17 1898.

This addition, Point 13, makes a rule, that a permanent barrel blocker is required on the tip of the barrel, closing it off. This would make the gun unable to shoot. The issue here is that the replica gun would be unable to fire. This would kill the idea of airsoft. It would also ruin paintball.

The second part is just the extended restrictions that would come with the bill, and they would restrict the ownership of airsoft guns.
    "(a) No person shall import, manufacture, sell, hold for sale or distribute within the state any imitation firearm unless such device is imported, manufactured, sold, held for sale and distributed: (i) solely for subsequent transportation in interstate commerce; or (ii) solely for lawful use in a theatrical production, including a motion picture, television or stage production.
    (b) A violation of subsection (a) shall constitute an unfair or deceptive trade act or practice under section 2 of chapter 93A.
    (c) A law enforcement officer may confiscate any imitation firearm from a person in possession thereof unless the person is possessing the imitation firearm:(i) solely for subsequent transportation in interstate commerce; or (ii) solely for lawful use in a theatrical production, including a motion picture, television or stage production."

(a) This section explains that owning an airsoft gun is outlawed. The only way to be in possession of an airsoft gun is to be transporting it and passing through the state or it being used in a film of some sort.

If I did say something incorrectly, please correct me. I'm doing the best I can to understand it.

4. destroyer66

destroyer66 New Member

Legacy airsoft as in the field in Lockport Illinois? Because if so then that is the field I go to all the time.

5. ma_airsoft

No, he's a tech from mass

6. Lightning_38

Lightning_38 New Member

Amarillo
    My response- Get a permit from your city for shooting movies at your feilds and run go pros. Noone said that the motion pictures had to be professional or even for profit. Just put up games on youtube.

Loophole?

7. theonlyBuster

theonlyBuster Active Member Lifetime Supporter

S. Florida
    Now this is the first I've heard of this, so I did about 15min of Googling and research. So the following are MY THOUGHTS and IDEAS upon reading the bill. Don't take them to heart, and know that I could be just as wrong as I may be right.

The portion about a barrel that is closed 1/2 inch from the end of the barrel is referring to your outer barrel. It's basically saying it can not be ported. It has to be a full, solid outer barrel.
    That is to say, this has NOTHING to do with barrel plugs or sealing off the end of your gun(s) thus making them inoperable. My understanding is the main thing you have to worry about is having that brightly colored, non-removable 1inch strip on your gun. Now my question is how does this related to flash hiders and such?

From MY interpretation, this won't/doesn't ban airsoft in Mass.

Additionally, the writing makes zero mention of velocity limits or making the gun inert (which is what a barrel sock/plug would basically do.

Again, this is MY 2 cents and MY interpretation. I'm not a lawyer, haven't studied law, I'm just a normal every day person like most of you. As per usual, I ask if I'm wrong, please respectfully correct AND educate me on a more correct way of thinking and processing.

Loophole? Maybe. Practical? No, not really.
    Movie permits vary from state to state, but last time I checked they were STARTING at $300 per week and generally can cover 3-15 locations. And cities often do a an unannounced spot-check to verify that you're complying with the grounds of your permit.
    Now keep in mind that $300 varies from place to place; LA is $8,000 per day last time I looked.
    And don't forget, you have to be insured in many states, that's another $500-2,000

-mobile device-

8. ma_airsoft

I said the same thing in the what's up peasant thread hahaha

9. destroyer66

destroyer66 New Member

I watched an airsoftology mailcall and Jonathan said that the guns have to have a barrel plug.

10. Lightning_38

Lightning_38 New Member

Amarillo
    Crud thats a lot of money o_O