May have invented new Swiss Cheesing method

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by Axis, Nov 18, 2012.

1. Axis

Axis New Member Supporting Member

So I was thinking of a way to swiss cheese my piston without using a power drill or rotary tool, so I got to thinking...what if I used a lighter, melted the plastic, and cut off the melted plastic that was meant to be removed? So I tried this, and was quite pleased with the results.

I haven't reassembled the GB yet to test how it works, but the spring does fit inside the piston. It took me about 30 minutes to get to the point where I got. The piston fit in the grooves of the gearbox and worked flawlessly. I did however have to shape the plastic correctly to do this.

NOTE: I didn't remember that plastic can be harmful when burned, especially indoors. Make sure if you try this, you do it outside.

Attached Files:

2. Mystery43_4

Mystery43_4 New Member

Santa Barbara
    I don't approve. I'd rather take a pair of side cutters to it to make that cut. However I wouldn't remove the rear of the piston like you have.

Good job for thinking outside of the box and working with what you have though.

3. CoppertopNeasg

CoppertopNeasg New Member

Boston
    It appears that you have compromised the structural integrity of the piston.

4. Axis

Axis New Member Supporting Member

Thanks for the feedback.

5. Lefse

Lefse Well-Known Member Supporting Member

If I didn't have access to power tools I would rather use a sharp utility knife and carefully cut out the material. You actually risk deforming the piston body with this method too. You need 3 "rings" on the top to keep the structural integrity and also to keep the spring in place.

6. CoppertopNeasg

CoppertopNeasg New Member

Boston
    Also I believe that heat changes the characteristics of the plastic making it more brittle and less resilient to stress.

7. S1kkguy

S1kkguy New Member

London
    I'd think the heat would change or adversely affect the structure of the piston, reinforcing what surfer said.