Meme (Clap) Review

Discussion in 'General Airsoft Discussion' started by Alphaeagle1, Mar 13, 2020.

1. Alphaeagle1

Alphaeagle1 New Member

Cheney
    This isn't really a critique of the actual meme just kind of want peoples thoughts on the weird decisions H&K makes when it comes to airsoft.

HKBieng weird .jpg

2. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    The Cheap MP5 was not their doing...the meme maker is totally ignorant on how the MP5 was first made for Airsoft and then all the low cost reproductions that followed later.

3. Alphaeagle1

Alphaeagle1 New Member

Cheney
    It was actually me who made the meme. Shows how much I know. I did it for more of a joke, but I see what your getting at.

I have recently just been thinking about what's going on in their heads when it comes to this. Is it H&K? Is it Umarex? Is it some combination of the two? Or just a lack of interest from customers?. I like H&K guns and I would just like them to put some more out on the USA market is all.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
  4. interceptor

interceptor Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Los Angeles
    My guess is that HK just sells their license. They probably neither encourage or discourage companies from making HK replicas. If a company asks to license and the price is right, HK would say OK. Even if it is a cheap MP5.

5. Alphaeagle1

Alphaeagle1 New Member

Cheney
    Is it though? Because Arcturus just came out with a 416 clone and it has no trademarks or license on it from what I have seen (Don't quote me on that). Is it like a USA only thing? I see dozens of clones with out licenses over in Asia and some eastern block countries.

6. interceptor

interceptor Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Los Angeles
    As far as I know HK is only enforcing their trademark and name. If you make an HK416-shaped gun but call it something else, they may not decide to pursue legal action. Glock is much stricter having trademarked the squarish-shape of their guns. However I see a lot fewer clone MP5s and G36s than I did when I started so maybe they are cracking down in the US on similar guns.

Asia is much looser about trademark infringement than the US. Not just for airsoft but you can buy knock-off anything from China (Rolex watch, anyone?) Not sure about Europe - maybe some members here can give you more information what's going on there regarding trades.

Yes, in theory, HK should care about the quality of the replica guns being put out in the market but they probably are too busy selling real guns.

7. Alphaeagle1

Alphaeagle1 New Member

Cheney
    Yeah I notice dozens of guns with basic shape of many of their guns but they never crack down on them. Like Specna has an entire line of G36s and their based in Poland so you would think HK would get at them more than say the US, but they don't for whatever reason.

Maybe it is just a US only thing.

8. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    US has very strict trade dress, easily enforced with a legal system that makes it easy to sue someone for infringement.

Other countries, not so much. In fact in Japan...their trade dress is very strict.

Unlike in USA...if it looks like a Glock from 30 yards away...it is a Glock...

It needs literally to be a 1:1 replica, off by a bit...it's leave room for an out.

And that is where the first MP5 started for Airsoft.

9. Alphaeagle1

Alphaeagle1 New Member

Cheney
    That definitely explains why there almost no clones in the US.

I guess my biggest problem is how they decide what to make, and what to not to make.

For example the MP5A5 that they had VFC make a year ago or so that is still selling. What was with the rounded hand guard? It was just kind of out of left field. I haven't seen that on anything before.

Then there is the 416C. They made a new full size 416, but stop selling the 416c in the US, they are maybe making a new 416c for all I know so it maybe I am just thinking too much.

Its just weird to me is all, what do you guys think? Supply and demand? Or something else?

10. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    The people that control the licensing have only one thing in mind.

They have no intention of creating products people want or make things accurate.

Rather they want to take what is made, put a premium on them and Fleecing the population for their cash.

How do I know this...I worked for one of these companies.