Mesh eye pro

Discussion in 'Clothing / Gear' started by xbeeongx, Jun 7, 2015.

1. xbeeongx

xbeeongx New Member

Draper
    I've been considering trying mesh eye pro (steel, fine mesh). In the new areas I play, its very warm, and the humidity is almost at unity (saturation), and no amount of antifog spray / paste / voodoo will work. Game enjoyment suffers terribly.

Can anyone point out a real (observed / experienced) situation where a bb fragment actually did pass through the mesh? This has always been the point of contention regarding this type of eye pro. I used to be very against mesh, but the fogging in my new area of play is very, very bad, and I am willing to at least investigate mesh eye pro.

I know using mesh is taking a risk; again, I"m looking for real experiences. For the sake of information, here is my personal experience: I've met two / three players personally who've used mesh eye pro (one of them for 5+ years) and haven't had any issues. They're also, incidentally, some of the most effective players on their teams.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
  2. Tactical_Skittles

Tactical_Skittles Active Member

Moscow
    Yes, BB's have been proven to pass through mesh. Even if the BB's didn't pass through you could still get flakes of paint flying into your eyes.

http://www.airsoftforum.com/board/topic/59480-durability-test-mesh-masks/

There is a reason why thermal lenses and vented goggles are a thing, and have been for a while.

If you want to take the risk of using mesh eye pro, that's your choice, but personally I'd rather fog temporarily than lose my vision permanently.

3. yakantosh

yakantosh New Member

I have not run mesh eyewear, but I do use mesh lower masks and can attest to experiencing the shattering problem. I have been hit in the mesh mask many times and if the bb doesn't shatter I usually have a bunch of paint slivers fly into my face. That being said, talk to buster about his experiences with bug eyez mesh goggles... They seem to be the only worthwhile mesh goggles out there besides bitter end.

4. thatzackwheeler

thatzackwheeler New Member

Menasha
    Your field is content with the potential liability of people using mesh goggles?

5. airsoftmaniacman

airsoftmaniacman Active Member

Baltimore
    Tactical Skittles summed it up.

However, if you do decide to use mesh against your better judgment, there is only one brand you should get for mesh goggles.

Bitter End.

Airsoftology did a review on them many years ago, and in the last YouTube episode Jonathan mentioned them again.

Get fan goggles with thermal lens. You'll never have fog again.

I have a Bitter End face mask from the same year Airsoftology did their first review (2008?). It's held up under every situation, and even though there is some rust on it after years of use, the paint does not chip or flake much, it at all.

6. Bulldawg26

Bulldawg26 Active Member

Atlanta
    If you get Bug Eyes goggles, be sure to the 20 or 30 lines per inch. Don't use 10 lines per inch. The gaps between the mesh strands in the 10 lpi version are large enough for bbs to force the strands apart and penetrate through the goggles. I only use them for field games when the humidity is high in summer. They are rugged. I've used my pair for several years without problems after taking several hits right in the lens.

7. Magpulman

Magpulman Active Member

Stevenson
    I've got a friend who swears by them and loves them to death. I personally don't use them for the reason that they'll adhere my vision a bit. I run shooting glasses with antifog wipe and get no fogging.

Goggles with fans should do fine though.

8. airsoftmaniacman

airsoftmaniacman Active Member

Baltimore
    That's not a good recommendation.

Any wired mesh goggle will pale in comparison to a stamped steel goggle in safety. With the prevalence of joule creep, wire mesh is simply too unreliable.

You only have one pair of eyes. Don't cheap out on eye pro.

9. Bulldawg26

Bulldawg26 Active Member

Atlanta
    In the hot Georgia summers with high humidity, it is very difficult to get goggles that don't fog. I've tried multiple types of goggles (save phace, smith optics boogie regulators, Scott's, Wiley-X) and brands of anti-fog (Cat Crap, Spit, Rain-X, Revision, etc.). So far only Wiley-X SG-1 goggles with Revision anti-fog in the winter and Rain-X anti-fog in summer have been even moderately effective. All the fields down here do not allow shooting glasses because they are not full seal. Fortunately, the Bugg Eyez goggles don't seem to obstruct my vision.

10. Magpulman

Magpulman Active Member

Stevenson
    Yeah here in Washington we don't have near as bad humidity as down there. In that situation mesh may be a good choice.

11. yakantosh

yakantosh New Member

At that point you have to take into account the risk of injury due to loss of vision due to fogging vs re risks of a bb shattering and going into your eye.

12. Magpulman

Magpulman Active Member

Stevenson
    If a bb piece does get through the mesh then it will have lost most of its energy on impact and would probably just get in my eye rather than make me blind. And in that case my eye would water up and the piece would water out, it would be uncomfortable for a bit but it could be worse.

13. Bulldawg26

Bulldawg26 Active Member

Atlanta
    Very true. That's why I don't use mesh indoors or at any op that requires use of bio bbs. The engagement distances are typically much closer than games at Georgetown and bio bbs are more apt to shatter. On that field, I typically engage people at between 150 and 275 feet. Fortunately the Bugg Eyez goggles are designed for use in sawmills and by chain saw using lumberjacks. They are designed to keep wood shards out of your eyes. Although the current pair has served me well, I'll be replacing it soon. It has taken a lot of hits over the years.

14. Tactical_Skittles

Tactical_Skittles Active Member

Moscow
    Or it would get caught under your eyelid and scratch up your eye.

I would not take any chances with mesh, especially when you are talking about something as valuable as your eyesight. It's not worth losing that over a game.

15. Magpulman

Magpulman Active Member

Stevenson
    True true. I've had a scratched cornia (think that's what it's called) before and it wasn't fun.

I've not seen too many field reports of the mesh being an issue. But I understand that the possibilty is there.

I'd risk it if the fogging issue was bad. But would not prescribe it to others for safety reasons.