mid or high caps?

Discussion in 'General Airsoft Discussion' started by henrymac6, Jul 26, 2012.

1. henrymac6

henrymac6 Member

lexington
    mid or high caps? whats your opinion witch is better

2. Airsoft33

Airsoft33 New Member

I think mid caps are better.

3. 703

703 Active Member

webster
  4. Retrospection

Retrospection Member

Kimballton
    Midcaps are more realistic and almost no noise. High caps hold more and are very loud.

5. Robin-Hood

Robin-Hood Active Member

Mid caps always. There are so many pros to running mids, they're even cheaper. If you need 300+ rounds per mag then you're doing something wrong.

6. henrymac6

henrymac6 Member

lexington
    good point robin, but i goes if your a support gunner and since most guns come with high cap you can use it at the start to when your still far away from your opponent and then as the combat gets closer switch to your madcaps
    how many do you recommend

7. Retrospection

Retrospection Member

Kimballton
    I carry 11 mids and I've been doing good.

8. Robin-Hood

Robin-Hood Active Member

If you're a support gunner you should own a support weapon and use box mags. Otherwise you're not a support gunner, you're just a guy with a high cap who hasn't learnt to control his fire.

The high cap you get with the gun is the only one you should ever use imo, it's a begginner piece of kit. With it and maybe a small pouch of BBs you're set for any 'beginner friendly' game, you don't need anything else.

After that buy some mid caps, you can get a box of 10 for like $50 these days.

As for how many, 6+ would be my suggestion. If you play really hard & fast, up close & personal type games like say the ones they play at Strike Force Sports, then you probably only need a few. For longer/larger games, especially field games, and MILSIM events, you're probably looking at 8 to 10 or more. For the EU events I'd say 8 to 12 is probably a good number, for the more combat heavy US games I'd say up to 14 at which point you're talking well over 1.5k rounds, which is plenty (assuming you're using standard 120rd mids). Anything more than that is just absurd even if you're expecting heavy fighting, if you feel you need that much you should work on aiming and controlling your fire because to be frank unless you're a support gunner then you must be spraying at that point.

Personally I use Green Label PMAGs with the springs swapped for bigger ones. This lowers their capacity to about 65 BBs (and seeing as about 5 are left in the hop chamber I get about 60 clean shots per mag) At Berget I ran 10 of those, and despite getting down to 1 mag left a couple of times I never actually ran out of ammo.

What a lot of people do is run their pouches + one in the gun. So if you have 5 M4 mag pouches (holding 2 mags each) that's 10 mags + 1 in the gun makes 11. I have a carabiner on my gear which I hang my +1 mag off while I'm in the safe zone or not using or or whatever. Then when we lock and load I stick that mag in my rifle, and I still have my X amount of mags on my rig and no empty pouch space being wasted.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
  9. TheChosenOne94

TheChosenOne94 New Member

Personally, I do not prefer Mids for such reasons:

1. Who cares about realism?? This isn't to knock those who do, but all I care about is getting the job done, no matter the look or "realism" factor.

2. If you are using a gun that uses high caps in a place where you need to be quiet, you've got the wrong gun. Either you're looking for a sniper rifle, a pistol, or a knife :D

3. Space. Carrying 3 high caps is wayyy better space conservation than 9 mid ones. I don't want to add 6 inches to my waist just to carry around my uber-realistic set up.

Context: I play a lot of woods games with a lot more acreage and land involved, so if you play only in the cqb, then more power to ya.

Finally, I really have no problem with people who use mid caps, it's just my personal opinion that they are too flashy and unnecessary.

10. Thatguyoverthere1111

Thatguyoverthere1111 New Member

Mandeville
    I'm using them to get my trigger control down. I'm used to spraying, and I was going through 2 470rd mags a game (20-40mins) with my M14 and I blew the fuse. I over worked the motor. So I use the mids to get control of myself. Plus I like the realism factor.

11. WaikoloaAirsoft808

WaikoloaAirsoft808 New Member

I agree my chest rig only holds 6 mags and we play long games so I just run 2-3 high caps and im good. I dont find high caps to give away your position that much. They make noise but its not super loud. It only makes loud noises if your jumping around. I usually only use 1 1/2 of my high caps in a hour game and have one just in case.

12. FSTK

FSTK Member

Hi-caps all the way. Many problems in airsoft can be solved with more bbs.

13. Urbanprodigy

Urbanprodigy New Member

Midcaps are more fun to play with. If I had what I wanted I'd be running 5-6 midcaps and one highcap

14. Jelly

Jelly New Member

San Jose
    I currently run 4 mid caps and 1 high cap. I'm going to run 6 mid caps and 2 high caps soon, because I can.

15. Urbanprodigy

Urbanprodigy New Member

Wow thanks that makes me feel bad, because I can't.

16. Jelly

Jelly New Member

San Jose
    I feel bad right now since I'm only bringing 5 mags tomorrow Q_Q

17. Urbanprodigy

Urbanprodigy New Member

Oh yeah I only have 3 mags total. All high caps. Jealous? I did have 4 midcaps but they fed terribly so I got rid of them. Now I'm trying to get more but there is so much more I want before then

18. Jelly

Jelly New Member

San Jose
    But I have an AK :). 1 Hi-Cap=600rds+4 50rd mid caps=800 rds

Jealous?

19. Urbanprodigy

Urbanprodigy New Member

Can I answer yes or... I don't know I'm kinda stumped

20. UrGirlfriendz

UrGirlfriendz New Member

Bridgewater
    Oh yea I only got... 9 120rd mid caps, 1 300rd hi cap and one 400rd hi cap. What is that, 1,780rds? Get on my level son! Sad thing is I use like one mid cap a game.