Airsoft Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought three G&P midcaps for my VFC Scar-L (http://www.evike.com/products/30263/) and I just tried ~30 BBs in each to see if they were feeding well and no problem whatsoever. Now, I didn't put any silicone oil and I did not fully loaded and empty out them to "break them in". If they feed well, should I do something anyway or this "breaking in" phenomenon is just a myth? Thanks.

· Registered
951 Posts
As far as I can tell, it's most certainly a myth. My EF mid caps have fed flawlessly from day one, no breaking in, no silicon. I've also read in several places that lubing your mid caps does more harm than good, though I can't remember where I saw it.

· Registered
1,700 Posts
As far as I can tell, it's most certainly a myth. My EF mid caps have fed flawlessly from day one, no breaking in, no silicon. I've also read in several places that lubing your mid caps does more harm than good, though I can't remember where I saw it.
My EF midcaps have sucked hard from the start and continue to. So I don't know.

110% of my posts include sarcasm, mentioning this if any of you are androids.

· Registered
693 Posts
It's not a myth, why would someone claim their magazines don't feed out of the box and then started feeding later on after the gun has been properly cleaned and some rounds have been run through it if it wasn't true?

There's various brands of magazines varying in quality and capacity. I don't see how someone can deduce something is a myth under one test not even filling the magazine. If the mags work then there's no breaking in you need to do, simple as that. Some midcaps tend to come with springs with tension that exceeds what the magazine needs to keep the maximum capacity of bbs under pressure, some have plastic imperfections or dirt/grime/etc that only get worked out with feeding bbs through it.

· USMC CBRN Armed Driver
2,602 Posts
I find that G&P Mid-caps work well from the start, but after lubrication and a few thousand rounds, They are golden.

· Registered
199 Posts
It isn't a myth, At least for some brands. My EF midcaps needed breaking in, and so have everyone else's that I know who have them as well. My magpul and g&p did too. All it takes is a LITTLE bit of silicone and then load and unload them fully 3 or 4 times and your set.

· Registered
2,489 Posts
Absolutely not a myth. Most people buying lower end Elite Force or MAG mid caps don't possess the ROF to experience feeding issues. Put the same magazine in a 25+ RPS situation and you start wishing for silicone.

Even my $35 a pop PTS PMAGs needed the spring compressed a fair amount and proper lubrication for ideal performance.

· Registered
7,465 Posts
^+1 to that.

If you look around you will find that most people who have used many brands of magazines in many types of guns and recommend breaking in the magazines, regardless of brand or price, have higher-end setups (GB setup, not externals) that require a midcap to work properly.

Across forums and at my local field the players who recommend breaking in magazines, and have near religious rituals for it, have guns shooting above that magical 25rps.
All, and I do mean all, the people (kids) who say breaking in a magazine is pointless don't have a gun that needs a midcap to function properly (i.e. bone-stock china gun).

If someone can show me a midcap magazine that DOES NOT need breaking in on a 35rps gun, I will shutup and you can take my money.

· I'M THE CONDUCTOR OF THE POOP TRAIN!
3,318 Posts
My EF mids worked spectacular right out of the box in my King Arms 933 build (33 RPS). I always had to break in MAG mids though.

· Registered
7,465 Posts
Alright, you have sold me on what mids to buy next.
It seems that the more guys buy EF stuff, the better they get.

Somewhat-related: My 2013 MAG 130 mids needed some breaking in before they were perfect. Now they are useless because they keep jamming.

:Commence throwing money at EF mids:

· Registered
951 Posts
Word of warning on the EF mids: they fit terribly in G&P lowers. They wobble everywhere and won't feed unless you hold them in the right position. I was able to fix it with a few layers of electrical and masking tape, but it still isn't perfect.

They fit near perfectly in VFC lowers, but there's still a bit of wobble.

· Registered
1 Posts
Golitan11, I think you have enough replies now, but I'll add one more just to confirm what other people have been saying. It really depends on the brand. I have several MAG 100 rds midcap AK mags and they didn't need any break-in. My G&P 150 rds midcap AK mags have been far from reliable. I have worked on the follower to give it a better shape but it's still not working great.

· Registered
2 Posts
It's not a myth, why would someone claim their magazines don't feed out of the box and then started feeding later on after the gun has been properly cleaned and some rounds have been run through it if it wasn't true? There's various brands of magazines varying in quality and capacity. I don't see how someone can deduce something is a myth under one test not even filling the magazine. If the mags work then there's no breaking in you need to do, simple as that. Some midcaps tend to come with springs with tension that exceeds what the magazine needs to keep the maximum capacity of bbs under pressure, some have plastic imperfections or dirt/grime/etc that only get worked out with feeding bbs through it.
I agree, definitely not a myth. I bought 6 mid caps last summer, used 2 over and over without issues, then opened up my other 4 and they fed like crap. I loaded them and unloaded them over and over, about 5 times each and they feed perfectly now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts