Milsim gear

Discussion in 'Clothing / Gear' started by terridax2, Jan 7, 2013.

1. terridax2

terridax2 New Member

I've been playing backyard airsoft with my friends for years, and I'm the only person that ever uses tactics, so it gets so annoying. I decided to start playing milsim games, but I don't have much gear. I have a plate carrier vest and a MOLLE vest, both OD green. What other gear do I need to complete my load out?

2. Travis896

Travis896 New Member

Hager City
    I have the same problem with backyard airsoft. What type of loadout are you looking for, marines, rangers, seals etc?

3. terridax2

terridax2 New Member

Rangers, but I'm willing to do marines as well.

4. Travis896

Travis896 New Member

Hager City
    For a marine loadout you need an interceptor vest marpat bdus, a lightweight helmet with marpat cover. And maybe some kneepads and hard knuckle gloves (optional). And you will need some coyote brown combat boots.

5. terridax2

terridax2 New Member

Where can I find a good helmet?

6. 1badweasel

1badweasel New Member

Santa Rosa
    I would suggest going with a loadout that best suits you. Everyone has their own setup to the environment they play in.
    For example, I will be out on the field for 5-6 hours, so I need to take everything I need to last that long. That means a lot of pouches for the extra supplies, water and food. Others only do QCB and have a high speed, low drag type loadout. They carry only the basics and are vary light on gear. The list can go on, but those are just two examples.

7. Archer627

Archer627 Active Member

Figgington
    I guarantee he doesn't have enough money to do any of those impressions. Especially considering he would not be able to use the gear he already has, and a good, worthwhile impression that actually looks the part costs in upwards of $1000 for most of the units you listed.

What's your budget? What era? What kind of gear do you have already (colors, types, brands, etc.)?

Marines don't wear BDUs. They wear FROG combat shirt and pants in Marpat. They don't wear the interceptor, either, technically at least. They wear Danner boots from what I can tell. You have no idea what you are talking about, as you can see. Don't give advice if you don't know what you're talking about. Also, there's more to an impression than just that. I know my advice wasn't as good as it could have been, but I really don't study anything other than NSW units.

Any airsoft store, but it really depends on the type of helmet you want.

This a million times over. Just do what works for you. You don't have to mimic a military unit to play milsim, just make sure your gear looks like it would/could be used by a military unit. This means no blue jeans and t-shirts. Lol. This route is much cheaper too. Don't buy any Condor, OE Tech, NC Star, or Matrix gear. In fact, don't buy any gear from Evike or ASGI. Get Pantac and Flyye gear. TMC is okay, but I suggest just biting the bullet and making the one time investment.

8. McGee

McGee New Member

San Francisco
    Or, buy someone else's used OD gear to complete your loadout.

9. Protectionperfection

Protectionperfection New Member

Worcester
    you dont have to do an impression to play milsim. You just need to have the required gear and anything else is optional.
    basically:
    The correct color uniform
    primary weapon
    some way to transport mags and hydration
    full seal goggles
    and anything else is whatever you want because its whatever fits your personality. I know guys that dont run vests and carry mags on their legs and i know guys who do full impressions... In the end, whatever you want to do as long as the minimums are covered your all set..

10. Travis896

Travis896 New Member

Hager City

11. Travis896

Travis896 New Member

Hager City
    The quote didnt work because its on my phone

12. 1badweasel

1badweasel New Member

Santa Rosa
    The problem with that is the Army uses interceptor armor, or OTV and IOTV. Which you might have confused for a MCAV.

13. terridax2

terridax2 New Member

I would prefer modern era. My budget is as cheap as you can get. I have an OD plate carrier vest, and a regular OD MOLLE vest. On the budget issue, I'd prefer it be around the $500 area, and the less, the better

14. 1badweasel

1badweasel New Member

Santa Rosa
    Well, that's more than most people's budget. So, I would recommend Pantac of Flyye gear.

pantac gear can be bought here.
    http://www.airsoftsmith.com/

Flyye gear can be bought here.
    http://www.shootercbgear.com/index.php?cPath=22_50

15. Travis896

Travis896 New Member

Hager City
    Ok ill ask my brother what he wears again i might be wrong. But i know they use bates boots since i bought some from the PX at MCRD San Diego

16. Knief

Knief Moderator Moderator

Ann Arbor
    The Marines use a number of different boots. They have a range of brands and models that are approved and Marines get to buy whatever they want from that list. Both Danner and Bates have acceptable models.

As for the vest, Marines did used to wear the OTV and IOTV, but it was phased out years ago. They switched to the MTV, but it had some serious problems. They replaced that with the IMTV and SPC. I know the SPC is still in service, but I don't know if the IMTV made it. If you want a grunt Marine kit, the SPC is the way to go. Coyote Brown, obviously.

For a uniform, either the FROG uni or MCCUUs in either Woodland or Desert will do. I believe the Marines are still using the M16A4 (A3?), though other branches have moved almost exclusively to the M4A1 as the primary battle rifle, and I'm not sure if the Marines have followed suit recently or not. You could definitely do the M16 for a kit from a year or two ago though, no problem.

For a helmet, you'd want an LWH with a cover.

I couldn't tell you much about a first line for a Marine kit, but aside from that, grab some pouches for the SPC, and you're pretty much set. You should be able to do it for about $500, depending on the rifle you buy and how much you can get used.

17. 1badweasel

1badweasel New Member

Santa Rosa
    Yes, that's the vest I was thinking of; the MTV.

18. Archer627

Archer627 Active Member

Figgington
    I'm not wrong at all, mate. They don't wear BDUs. They wear combat shirt/pants (if you're deployed).

Well then fix it using the edit button.....

Well, as Knief said, the SPC is your best bet. Grab two M67 frag grenade pouches (generally put on your chest area), some Eagle M4 pouches, and some hydration (I cannot for the life of me remember what other stuff they use). You will need an IFAK on your side as well for sure. You M4 will have to have Block I & II attachments. Your rifle can either be an M4A1 or an M16A4.

YAY! GOOD ADVICE! :D (Knief, yours was too.)

Just because he was a Marine, doesn't mean he knows what he's wearing.

19. McGee

McGee New Member

San Francisco
    Here's my suggestion - don't deal with gear first.

You've said you have just decided to start playing MILSIM games.

Have you been to one yet?

Go to games. Spend your money on transportation and entrance fees.

You'll meet people. Maybe you will end up on a team, or at least you might tend to be on one 'side' vs. the other. I think you'll have a MUCH better idea of the kind of loadout you will eventually want AFTER you have gone to MILSIM events.

And, you will find people at these events who bought lots of gear before they actually developed their preferences, and they'll have plenty of stuff to sell you.

Keep in mind, my advice is coming from a perspective of a person who has gone to hundreds of days of events in different states, been on 3 teams with different uniform requirements, and is also into VN airsoft.

In all cases, the gear I had was MUCH less of a concern compared to the attitude and skills I brought to the event.

20. Travis896

Travis896 New Member

Hager City
    For 1, i couldnt fix it using edit it wouldnt let me. For 2, he knows exactly what he wears because they make you know. And he is still a marine because has 4 1/2 years of active duty service left. And even when his contract is up he will still be a marine.
    Ps: im not sure he even said interceptor vest or not but i do know that they can buy whatever they want for service as long as they obey dress orders.