Airsoft Forum banner

Mini Guide: Matching Vest Color to Camo

103K views 137 replies 48 participants last post by  Bostitch 
#1 · (Edited)
One of the most frequently asked questions we see here in C/G is, "What color vest looks good with my camo?" Often times, we can only answer that question with a lackluster "just trust us" while the player seeking help is left buying gear on faith. We can do better. We can show them what their options look like.

I broke out the ol' camera and all the different patterns and vest colors that I own. Below you will find a selection of 5 common US camouflage patterns, all genuine, matched with 5 different vest colors.

Camouflage Patterns (from left to right):
M81 Woodland
Woodland MARPAT
Multicam
Desert MARPAT
3-Color Desert

Vest colors (from left to right in the first picture):
Eagle Industries Ranger Green
Blackhawk Olive Drab
Crye Multicam
Eagle Industries Khaki
Knock off brand Black (but come on, black is black)

You'll notice that Coyote Brown, is missing, as are the newly popular AOR1 and 2. Sadly, I don't own any Coyote Brown vests or AOR 1/2 camo, so I can't shoot those comparison. If somebody is willing to ship me the missing colors and patterns, I'll happily head back out into the yard and fire away.

Below are 1024px wide images, however clicking each image will take you to a higher resolution (2048px) version if you so desire.

The goods:

M81/RG; WL MARPAT/OD; Multicam/Multicam; D MARPAT/Khaki; DCU/Black
Plant Military camouflage Tree Grass Wood

M81/OD; WL MARPAT/Multicam; Multicam/Khaki; D MARPAT/Black; DCU/RG
Plant Tree Grass Wood Art

M81/Multicam; WL MARPAT/Khaki; Multicam/Black; D MARPAT/RG; DCU/OD
Tree Military camouflage Plant Grass Military uniform

M81/Khaki; WL MARPAT/Black; Multicam/RG; D MARPAT/OD; DCU/Multicam
Military camouflage Plant Military uniform Tree Military person

M81/Black; WL MARPAT/RG; Multicam/OD; D MARPAT/Multicam; DCU/Khaki
Plant Military camouflage Tree Military uniform Grass

For anybody who may not want to dilly-dally with link clicking, here's the full album with both sizes of each picture:

Updating for Coyote Brown. This is AWS's CB, which seems pretty standard compared to the rest of the industry. I don't know what brand the pouches are, but they're clearly pretty spot on with the vest:

Multicam:
Camouflage Military camouflage Plant Cargo pants Military uniform

M81 Woodland:
Luggage and bags Sleeve Military uniform Bag Camouflage

Woodland MARPAT:
Camouflage Military camouflage Helmet Military uniform Bag

Desert MARPAT:
Plant Tree Wood Grass Sculpture

3-color DCU:
Shorts Dress shirt Bag Sleeve Military uniform

Composite:
Plant Grass Tree Facade Shrub

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Very cool, Knief. Very helpful guide, actually able to see all of the combinations

#3 ·
I have been quite curious how woodland marpat would look under an OD vest, it looks alright over a black shirt with digi pants, but I haven't gotten a shirt yet, and probably never will ;P Thanks Mr. Knief.

#4 ·
Very nice, should be a sticky because I would use this for future reference. Also if others could add in pictures like he did above below would be a nice touch.

#5 ·

#7 ·
magpulman123 said:
Very useful, visual confirmation of what looks good with what. Sticky?
If we stickied it, nobody would see it.

#8 ·
Yep. I'll sticky it after it's been around for a week or two, but I'd like people to actually see it so we'll let it bounce around the section for a bit.

#11 ·
Where is the A-TACS FG? :'(
You'll notice that Coyote Brown, is missing, as are the newly popular AOR1 and 2. Sadly, I don't own any Coyote Brown vests or AOR 1/2 camo, so I can't shoot those comparison. If somebody is willing to ship me the missing colors and patterns, I'll happily head back out into the yard and fire away.
He doesn't have Atacs... It's not the best looking camoflauge.

#13 ·
#14 ·
A-TACS is butt ugly and I choose to ignore its existence. That said, my teammate was waiting three months for a CB OCPC and it just came in yesterday. I'll get pictures of that up soon to round out the thread.

#16 ·
Well, it's all a matter of personal preference, like you said. IMO, A-TACS looks like baby puke made of mashed peas, but hey, if you like it.

#17 ·
quigon007 said:
Well, it's all a matter of personal preference, like you said. IMO, A-TACS looks like baby puke made of mashed peas, but hey, if you like it.
When mine comes in, if Knief hasn't posted the OPC by then, I'll give you guys a picture to help round it out. Or I could do it regardless. Which would you prefer

#18 ·
Do you have multiple vest colors to pair it with? That's sort of the point of the thread, showing what colors go better with different patterns. If you only get a picture with one vest, then it's not helping much because there is no comparison.

#20 ·
Wait at least until you get the Coyote Tan (I'm assuming that it's made by a legitimate company), and if you can borrow a Ranger Green vest from a friend. Black and OD are really the last colors I care about.

#21 ·
Knief said:
Wait at least until you get the Coyote Tan (I'm assuming that it's made by a legitimate company), and if you can borrow a Ranger Green vest from a friend. Black and OD are really the last colors I care about.
Of course, and it will be Flyye. If I can find someone with ranger green I'll ask them.

#23 ·
Yeah I have a Coyote brown EI plate carrier and multiple camos, including flecktarn.

#24 ·
If you all can take high quality pictures, outdoors, with natural light, and correct white balance, then go for it.

#26 ·
I updated the original post, but I'll add it here for those who don't look back:

Updating for Coyote Brown. This is AWS's CB, which seems pretty standard compared to the rest of the industry. I don't know what brand the pouches are, but they're clearly pretty spot on with the vest:

Multicam:
Camouflage Military camouflage Plant Cargo pants Military uniform

M81 Woodland:
Luggage and bags Sleeve Military uniform Bag Camouflage

Woodland MARPAT:
Camouflage Military camouflage Helmet Military uniform Bag

Desert MARPAT:
Plant Tree Wood Grass Sculpture

3-color DCU:
Shorts Dress shirt Bag Sleeve Military uniform

Composite:
Plant Grass Tree Facade Shrub

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.