MK18 Mod1

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by cwhrcrysis, Jan 2, 2013.

1. cwhrcrysis

cwhrcrysis New Member

Buffalo
    Im looking to build a Colt trademarked MK18 Mod1 but i cant find any metal Colt bodies. If anyone knows where to buy them or where to buy a full colt aeg let me know.

2. TYSONtheSNIPER

TYSONtheSNIPER New Member

Edmonton
    CYMA has Colt trades. And I think King Arms as well, but I'm not 100% on that.

3. Knief

Knief Moderator Moderator

Ann Arbor
    King Arms, G&P, and VFC all make very nice guns with colt trademarks. King Arms is the only one of the three that is legally licensed to have them, so it's likely that you'll have to order the G&P and VFC with Colt trades from overseas.

4. Axis

Axis Active Member Supporting Member

Agreed. If you don't want to order from overseas, then I would get a King Arms. But if you're alright with ordering from overseas, I would get a VFC. If you plan on upgrading, a G&P is the best application for doing so IMO.

5. Knief

Ann Arbor
  6. Leonidas

Leonidas New Member

Des Moines
    ICS M4s have nice trademarks. I'm not sure how far you can go upgrading them, I've never tried anything on mine.

7. Knief

Ann Arbor
    ICS M4s have nice trademarks that aren't Colt. When you're building a gun for real world accuracy, you don't want pretty but inaccurate trademarks, you want the trademarks that are on the issued rifle. That'd be Colt trades in this case.

8. Protectionperfection

Protectionperfection New Member

Worcester
    My ICS has colt trades. What about them arent real steel copies?

9. Knief

Ann Arbor
    Really? The only ones I've seen have the Olympic Arms trades or ICS trades.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any pictures of what yours has? Are they laser etched or actually engraved into the receiver as the real ones are?

10. ThompsonFTW

ThompsonFTW New Member

Dayton
    The old ones had Colt Trades and I think if you get them from over seas they have them too. If you have a colt trades ICS I envy you... a friend of mine paid $70 to get his.

Edit/ I was wrong, his has Olympic Arms trades... maybe kniefs right...

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  11. Njnewland

Njnewland New Member Lifetime Supporter

Cherryville
    I thought ICS made some with colt trades too...

I guess I will have to research a bit and then get back to you guys.

Edit:
    Apparently they are only available in/from the Asian market.

12. Knief

Ann Arbor
  13. Njnewland

Njnewland New Member Lifetime Supporter

Cherryville
    Not sure if there are any engraved or stamped models.

I'll look around later.

14. ThompsonFTW

ThompsonFTW New Member

Dayton
    What's the difference between laser etched and stamped? Why would it make or break the gun? I legitimately don't know and am curious.

15. Knief

Ann Arbor
    Laser etching leaves what's essentially a permanent white scratch on the surface of the gun. It's superficial and, for instance, would be completely covered by paint. A stamped or engraved trademark presses in or cuts out material, giving you a trademark that's grooved into the gun. Because they're essentially grooves cut into the receiver, they'd still show if you painted them. I suppose you could think of it as a 2D vs. 3D thing.

Why would they make or break a gun? They wouldn't if you weren't concerned about trademark accuracy. If, however, you want to replicate an mk18 to the point that you care about trademarks (as OP does), then you would want accurate trademark. The real things are engraved or stamped into the receiver (I don't know which, I don't know if Colt machines or forges its receivers), so you would want your replica to have the same thing. An etched Colt trademark doesn't make a lot of sense since the real thing isn't etched. When you're talking about accuracy to the real thing, an etched trademark is about the same as me drawing one on with a sharpie. It just doesn't match what the operators are using.

Looking for examples of indents in a piece of metal is hard:

http://fidelisfirearms.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/47832-1.jpg

[edit] EUREKA!

The white lettering and logos are etched. The stuff above that is engraved/stamped.

[​IMG]

16. ThompsonFTW

ThompsonFTW New Member

Dayton
    Ok, so its sorta like wearing khaki when the operators wear coyote Brown? Thanks for the explanation BTW.

17. Knief

Ann Arbor
    Sort of, yeah. Most people see it as being a little less significant than that, just because getting guns with correct trades can be difficult in the first place. Most geardos care more about gear than guns, and getting the color right on a PC is kind of a big deal. Using the right type of IFAK or strobe might be a better analogy. It's a detail sort of thing. But if you care enough to get the detail right, then the wrong type of trademark is still going to be wrong.

18. ThompsonFTW

ThompsonFTW New Member

Dayton
    Understood. I used the gear color comparison because I knew about that as opposed to whatever you but said. Lol.

19. Leonidas

Leonidas New Member

Des Moines
    They do have them. My M4 does. I really like it.

Attached Files:

20. Protectionperfection

Protectionperfection New Member

Worcester
    what Kinef is saying is that the trades are there yes but they are not done in the same way as real steel. Because they are white they are not the same. A little Aluminum Black can fix that and TA-DA! you have what looks like engraved or stamped trades.
    So in conclusion, the ICS Colt trades are correct just in the wrong color...