modding a we dragon 5.1 gbb pistol into a race gun

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by dmrwolf, Dec 11, 2012.

1. dmrwolf

dmrwolf New Member

virginia beach
    i have a we dragon and i was looking to od it from its stock form to a race gun. i would like to keep the original slide and frame if possible, due its design,the slide looks race gun-ish already. what internals do i need? i already bought an aip hopup for it,so if thats a good referance for brand parts, there you go. please if anyone can help me with this build id greatly apreciate it. im looking for faster cycling, lighter trigger pull and so on. im open to any advice. :eek:

2. dylan484

dylan484 New Member

Tifton
    Their is a thread just like this, I'd link it but I'm on my phone. Its in this same section. It's actually surprisingly similar to it.

3. dmrwolf

dmrwolf New Member

virginia beach
    I'm sorry. I didn't even look. I literaly new to this forum, but I've been playing and teching aegs for years, and I'm just getting into gbb pistols now. I love these things. If you ever get to a computer though, or if you know someone who is an expert at this type of techwork, could you please send them my way? I have lots of questions.

4. dmrwolf

dmrwolf New Member

virginia beach
    I'm really looking to get this done though. And I looked in the other treads and none of them helped. All it said was that we guns suck. I'm replacing all the internals, I like the look. What I need though, is someone who has done race builds before, so I can get some tech advie on how to do it. I don't want a recomendation for another pistol, but merely just how to do the modification.

5. LegacyAirsoft

LegacyAirsoft You can say I tech a little...

Massachusetts
    I'm only a basic tech for gbb pistols but I do know that u will literally need to replace almost everything for a WE pistol to make a race gun. I know you need a lighter slide, diff recoil spring, new valve etc. I think guarder makes some good aftermarket parts

6. dmrwolf

dmrwolf New Member

virginia beach
    Thanks. I was thinking aip and angel custom. I heard a lot about these two parts. But what lower frame parts do I need to replace? Andwhy do I need to replace the slide? Its practically designed for a race look.

7. dmrwolf

dmrwolf New Member

virginia beach
    *brands* not parts sorry.

8. LegacyAirsoft

LegacyAirsoft You can say I tech a little...

Massachusetts
    It is but it is VERY heavy pot metal from what I have heard. You can upgrade a GBB pistol without making it a race gun though (if u wanted to keep the slide)

9. dmrwolf

dmrwolf New Member

virginia beach
    Well I was trying to keep it because I figured I could save money. It doesn't feel like pot metal at all, but I could be wrong.

10. dmrwolf

dmrwolf New Member

virginia beach
    What I basically want is a lighter trigger pull, and faster cycling, with some form of better gas efficiency. If I can do that without buying a 200+$ slide, please. Make my day.

11. dmrwolf

dmrwolf New Member

virginia beach
    Would there be a way for me to drill the moving part of the slide, or shave it to make it lighter withough jepordising performance? Just curious. If I could cut down the weight that could increase cycling rate right?

12. Sohte

Sohte Member

San Jose/ Bay Area
    Dont randomly dremel things.
    I am a novice GBB tech specializing in M9 GBBs, and I have a little knowledge in the Hicapa department.
    Aside from upgrading the barrel to a TBB & improving the bucking/hopup, you can upgrade the blowback housing, flow valve and spring .

Such as :
    http://airsoft-club.com/shop/internal-upgrade/piston-parts/5ku-super-light-weight-speed-blow-back-housing-for-hi-capa-1911

http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?products_id=1085

Also here is a youtube channel of custom 1911 GBBs for Ideas and more info.

http://www.youtube.com/user/LaZoucheCustomshop

Hope that helps.

PS: I have a really big sidearm fetish so if you do mod your Hi-Capa out into a race gun, please post photos.

13. dmrwolf

dmrwolf New Member

virginia beach
    Lol. Ok. Will do. Is there a way to tag ppl in a forum like facebook? Or no? And maybe I might trick out the lower? Who knows? A 2nd opinion is always nice. And I wasn't going to rNdomly dremel, I was thinking maybe toward the front of the slide that moves? Or would that cause all the gas to leak out?

14. dmrwolf

dmrwolf New Member

virginia beach
    I was going to upgrade the barrel last, and I just bought a aip hopup for it off evike.

15. dmrwolf

dmrwolf New Member

virginia beach
    I also bought an angel custom reinforced loading nozzle for it too.

16. DNARevolutions

DNARevolutions New Member

Plano
    I make race guns out of Hi Capa. Made 2 so far, sold them both. Starting with a WE, you're gonna pretty much have to change out everything, because the metal that WE uses is way too poor quality and it's also too heavy to do anything. I'd start by getting a better hop up, stronger spring and guide, lightweight bbu, stronger trigger and hammer springs, etc. You have a lot of work to do friend.

17. dmrwolf

dmrwolf New Member

virginia beach
    I aware lol. And thanks. Will you subscribe to this forum please? I need a tech around in case I have a question. And I just installed a brand new aip hopup and a new bucking as well as an angel custom enhanced loading nozzle. I plan to use aip and angel custom for this build. Would it be a good idea to upgrade the piston head, or should I wait?

18. DNARevolutions

Plano
    Already subscribed lol. Idk about WE's piston heads. I suppose you should just wait, there shouldn't be anything too terribly bad. Are you using the race gun to skirmish while looking awesome, or for actual practical shooting competitions?

19. dmrwolf

dmrwolf New Member

virginia beach
    Mainly for skirmishing and target plinking in the backyard, but I wasn't aware they had competition for airsoft race guns. I know they do for real race guns though.

20. DNARevolutions

Plano
    Oh there's a lot of those airsoft IPSCs in East Asia, mainly in Hong Kong and Taiwan. I compete in those. If you want good range and accuracy, I recommend that you try to stick with a TM hop up unit, unless you can find those Airsoft Surgeon metal hopups (which are extremely rare, never found one.) or those Tanio Koba twist barrels (only found one)