More then 1 AEG

Discussion in 'General Airsoft Discussion' started by airsofter2772, Sep 1, 2012.

1. airsofter2772

airsofter2772 New Member

S it worth it to have more then one AEG or is it better to just have one AEG?

2. marine121496

marine121496 Wahahaha~ Supporting Member

Ann Arbor
    As you get into airsoft you always acquire more than just 1 aeg, unless you're an all gas guy, totally worth it (to get multiple guns).

3. Munishin

Munishin Well-Known Member

Goodyear
    In a general collection yes. Having the assurance that you have a spare gun in case your main primary goes down is a good feeling. Plus you can even set the secondary aeg as a loaner gun.

4. rich635

rich635 New Member

Los Angeles
    It is better to have more than one AEG, unless of course both of them are bad. If you're beginning, spend your money on a single, quality gun. As you progress, you already upgraded your gun, you have all your gear, then a backup AEG is always useful. But if it comes down to two Crosmans or a JG, pick the JG.

5. Dead Eye

Dead Eye New Member

Ocala
    its good to have a backup.
    I personally never loan my guns out.

6. naamtune

naamtune New Member

Redlands
    Pretty much reiterating what Note has already said, it's nice to have a general collection, but having more than one AEG gives you that assurance that you'll be able to play and stay in the game if one of your guns went kaput. It's nice to also have multiple of guns for different situations that you might be in.

7. FSTK

FSTK Member

I say "no".

The more AEGs you have: the more money you need to properly maintain them. If you properly maintain one AEG the way it's meant to be done, the odds of your primary failing on you is nearly 0%. Having a 2nd AEG during an emergency doesn't fix whatever bad habits you may have that caused the first one to fail. If you have the skills: you won't ever need more than one AEG at a time (unless you just prefer to swap between primaries for the feel, which is completely understandable).

Properly maintaining your AEG means the wiring is done well, the internals have meticulously been looked after and upgraded/replaced where necessary: thoroughly tested. If you play in the rain: the trouble spots are all accounted for. The bbs you're using have been tested prior to play. In-fact: Your whole system should be stress-tested prior to play. You can bring 2-3 AEGs with you just in case, but there's no substitute for simply bringing a dependable tool-set to see you through.

You think RS Operators carry more than one primary to the field? No. They learn to maintain/fix it on the spot.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2012
  8. SilentVectorX

SilentVectorX New Member

San Angelo
    2 AEGs is always a good plan. I try to keep two Primary AEGs in the green at all times, that way if there's a catastrophic unprogrammed failure, I still have a Primary to fall back on. Meanwhile, I can keep other projects in the pipe (I'm currently building multiple LMGs, DMRs, and loaner guns).

FSTK, there's no getting around Murphy's Law. You can build an AEG to run for 1 million cycles, but there's always a chance crap can happen. Buying a used M4 and upgrading/tuning it for $100 is cheap insurance.

9. airsofter2772

airsofter2772 New Member

How do you properly clean your AEG.

10. SilentVectorX

SilentVectorX New Member

San Angelo
    Personally, I like to use a polymer coated cleaning rod and brass 22cal jag with a non-solvent, detergent-based cleaner and small-bore cloth patches. Make sure you turn the hopup OFF, after a couple wet patches, use dry patches to leave the bore clean and dry.

11. marine121496

marine121496 Wahahaha~ Supporting Member

Ann Arbor
    But it's not about how many weapons you're carrying on the field it's about owning a collection. I have five guns and have only ever used 1.

12. MrGoodkat

MrGoodkat New Member

I would build a DMR (range/accuracy), a CQC gun (RoF/accuracy), and a loaner gun (reliability/longevity) among other things for different situations.

There is also the added benefit of having different guns for different loadouts/impressions.

13. Sparky_D

Sparky_D Moderator Staff Member

Pierce County
    Only once have I ever gone to an event with only one AEG.
    At chrono, my trigger contacts broke. I had to run my tri shot as a primary.

From that date, I have NEVER gone to an event without at least 2 AEGs. Usually I take 3 or 4.
    Why so many? Because some of my team mates can only afford one AEG, and if it goes down, I can loan them one (has happened a few times).

Also, after lugging my RPK around for 3-4 hours, it's nice to switch to my AKs-47U for an hour or so.

14. 703

703 Active Member

webster
    It's always nice to have a spare AEG. Like sparky said your primary gun can go down anytime. Even properly maintained a gun can brake at any point.

15. FSTK

FSTK Member

I dunno, To me that's just one more liability and another variable for Murphy's Law. Cheap insurance is good, but it doesn't fix bad habits. Can you name a situation where a properly-maintained AEG could be blamed on Murphy's Law?

Last edited: Sep 2, 2012
  16. DaveRuination

DaveRuination New Member

Alhambra
    i've always taken more than one aeg with me. i would switch between them throughout the night - just because i can, not because i need to. plus everyone who only has one gun gets jelus lol

17. soviet

soviet New Member

I rent one out sometimes. Or have a backup.

18. deathmechanic

deathmechanic Active Member

Davis
    Different guns for different setups. Actually planning on purchasing an AR case that holds 10. Will be nice for me and ky buddies.

19. SilentVectorX

SilentVectorX New Member

San Angelo
    Don't be an idiot, these things are still just toys. Without non-destructive testing techniques and no real QC on many internal parts, I would never say any airsoft gun is really 100% reliable.

My maintenance interval is appox every 30,000 rounds or so. I re-grease and inspect everything for abnormalities, but I'm still always learning.

So, I still contend that having a spare is good habit, no matter how well you tech-up your own stuff.

20. Sparky_D

Sparky_D Moderator Staff Member

Pierce County
    I can name 10

1: Torn Bucking
    2: Stripped Piston
    3: Stripped Gear
    4: Trigger Contact Breakage
    5: Bearing Failure
    6: Cylinder Head Nozzle Shaft comes loose/off
    7: Tappet Plate Breakage
    8: Battery Connector Breaks
    9: Motor Windings Short
    10: Trigger breaks (physically)

All of these issues I have personally seen happen 1st hand with properly maintained stock and upgraded AEGs over the course of the last 8 years or so.

AEGs are mechanical devices subject to mechanical stresses and mechanical failure.

Just because it hasn't happened to you doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Do you need an extra AEG? No. Many players only bring one.
    But some of those players will end up sitting out a game or running their pistol or a loaner gun when their gun goes down. I've seen it at almost every 40+ player skirmish...