MOSFET information

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by broadsword, Nov 1, 2012.

1. broadsword

broadsword New Member

New York
    I am thinking about upgrading my kwa 2gx gun to lipo but I heard that the only way to do it is with a mosfet. I want some more info on mosfets before i go on with the build. if there is a thread about this already (which there probably is), can you please post it here?

2. corntato

corntato New Member

Kwa 2gx is 11.1v ready out of the box. The mosfet is not necessary just an upgrade

3. Archer627

Archer627 New Member

Figgington
    KWAs are not "Lipo ready". It's a marketing ploy.

4. corntato

corntato New Member

Really then tell me why my kwa came with a warranty that allows 11.1v use.

Also explain to me how one of the best stock gearboxes available cant handle a 11.1v

You obviously do not own one

5. S0m3_0n3

S0m3_0n3 New Member

Because KWA is very smart in the marketing dept. if their warranty allows use of a strong battery, people believe that the gb can handle it fine, and is therefore one of the best stock gb and is worth buying. Don't get me wrong, their gearboxes are nice enough, I just think you're better off buying a cheaper one and upgrading it

6. Archer627

Archer627 New Member

Figgington
    I obviously have more gearbox experience than you. I use 11.1v 50C 3000mah lipos. That'd fry your KWA right up. I used that in a tuned (all stock parts minus the basic MOSFET in it) Dboys and she came out just fine. There is absolutely NO thing such as Lipo ready. By the way, the 11.1v lipos they refer to are most likely 15C lipos which are nothing.

KWAs are nice unupgraded, but they used so many proprietary things it makes upgrading a PITA.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
  7. Napple

Napple New Member

All of you that tell others not to buy kwa's just because of propietary parts are just giving bad information. Most of these people arent skilled in upgrading a gearbox so why would you reccomend them to do so? Ive messed around wit a few gearboxes but dont have steady hands to complete a full build. Nevermind the time, i wouldnt be able to find enough time to dump into a build. All gearboxes can be called lipo ready. It's just a matter of time before something breaks on it. I usually run a lipo and when the piston on gears break i replace it with an upgrade part.

8. levirocks

levirocks #FreeNuggy Lifetime Supporter

arlington
    wrong. No offense Archer. KWA has very few proprietary parts. To OP: A MOSFET is recommended but not needed.

9. Archer627

Archer627 New Member

Figgington
    The reason I say not to is because they are over priced. You could buy another gun, get it tuned and an r hop put in by another tech plus shipping both ways for cheaper. The KWA externals are meh. There is some external parts that are a PITA to put on because of their absolute need to make all the money they can. Their internals are meh as well. Their gears are weak, 9mm bushings, proprietary hop which is bad compared to an r hop, the motor is weak compared to my other motors, the shell is weird, and they can barely take an 11.1v reliably with a low discharge rate. Not all the parts are proprietary, but some are. It's finicky in what it'll take as well.

Honestly, a VFC is better for the price. Now please back onto the subject at hand. If you want to argue with me, I'll gladly do so via PMs.

10. corntato

corntato New Member

A 50c lipo would do no harm to a kwa . My motor would not draw all 50c and the gun would be just fine. I personally spoke with a kwa employee who ran his stock kwa on 14v and the weapon did fine.

So your saying all those guns that come with a pre installed mosfet are not lipo ready?

I and all kwa owners I've met that do not run a mosfet have been doing so with 0 "fried" guns. How can you say that a gun lasting 120k rounds until his piston stripped not fried contacts isn't lipo ready. He replaced the piston and uses the gun till this day. Lipo and no mosfet with all original electrical

11. S0m3_0n3

S0m3_0n3 New Member

who said anything about not buying because of proprietary parts? I just think KWA is slightly overpriced, maybe that's because I'm stingy :rolleyes:

Edit: ah, saw acher was talking about proprietaryness, Uber sniped also

12. Archer627

Archer627 New Member

Figgington
    Lol. To each their own, I guess.... KWAs in my experience are a waste. Their performance isn't that great. I tuned my dboys to shoot just as well for half the price. Oh, by the way, I'm doubting your cited example... It's a KWA employee. They get paid because you buy their product. They are going to make it sound better than it actually is.

My VFC can do the same, by the way, even in stock form.... I smell KWA kool aid, by the way.

There are only a couple proprietary things. All of them can be alleviated IIRC. I hope you guys didn't think I meant the whole gearbox was proprietary. Lol

13. corntato

corntato New Member

Not mention the only real proprietary kwa parts are the gearbox shell and the air nozzle

14. Archer627

Archer627 New Member

Figgington
    I said SOME parts... Not all....

15. levirocks

arlington
    The way you said it here made it seem as if the whole gearbox was proprietary.

16. corntato

corntato New Member

This is highly misinformed im not going to spend the time correcting all of that.
    Stick with your vfcs (which are less than $50 cheaper than a km4) and i will continue to run my $189 cqr on a lipo all day long without a penny into the internals

17. Archer627

Archer627 New Member

Figgington
    Yeah. Bad choice of words :/. I stated that in a later post.

I'll stick to my dboys which is the same way, mate. Only a MOSFET I made myself for 15 bucks and a bunch of DIY mods. It beats my friends KWA KM4.

This is most likely my last post. Somebody text me when the noobs leave.

18. levirocks

arlington
    There is no best gun. Both sides have fanboys that will never stop arguing. I would recommend that both of you stop the arguing here.

19. corntato

corntato New Member

Btw the reason that kwa employe (who i talked to with my cqr in hand so why would he be giving me a sales pitch on something i already bought) put a 14v on it was not to prove how awesome the gun was. Its because he works there so repairs are extremely cheap to free for him and he wanted to see it the gun could actually take it

No disrespect meant to you archer, just trying to defend kwa from all the biased hate

20. Archer627

Archer627 New Member

Figgington
    PM me... I don't want to clog this thread up anymore...