Motor Break In? do you do it?

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by TYSONtheSNIPER, Sep 27, 2012.

1. TYSONtheSNIPER

TYSONtheSNIPER New Member

Edmonton
    So I've heard that by breaking in your motor you expand its life and how well it works. Only problem is I'm not 100% sure how I'm supposed to do it.

From the very few YouTube videos I saw it seems like you figure out what 1/2 the cells your preffered battery uses, then you construct a "mini" battery from that number.

So what I'm asking is,

1: let's say I'm using a 9.6 volt battery. How many cells should I use to make my "breaking in" battery.

2: to make my battery can I use AA or AAA batterys.

3: then once I construct this battery am I supposed to run the motor on it until the battery is out of juice.

So that's it, can I get some help from experienced people that have done this. Thanks guys.

2. BRTSoloWing

BRTSoloWing Active Member

China Grove
    To be honest I haven't seen this as a need for airsoft motors. I use to water brake my rc motors, but if your not careful you'll destroy a motor quickly doing that.

3. Archer627

Archer627 New Member

Figgington
    I guess I'll chime in on this one. Rather than do the water break in, I do a run of about two minutes on no load using half current. I use 3 "D" batteries. I then do the same for a shorter period of time in reverse. I then open up the motor and use my air Jose to blow out any debris that may have come from the brushes.

4. TYSONtheSNIPER

TYSONtheSNIPER New Member

Edmonton
    Awesome guys, thanks for the info. I too looked into it further and found out why doing it to an R/C car motor is important. I guess they do it because those motors are running 10-15 minutes without a break, while in airsoft unless your using a light machine gun, your motor doesn't tend to be run extreamly long. Therefore making a motor break in less important. I'll still probably run my new motor of a couple of batteries just in case, but it doesn't seem nearly as important as I thought. Still a good idea though.

Thanks again everyone.

5. BRTSoloWing

BRTSoloWing Active Member

China Grove
    No problem, I use to race mini-Zs, so brake in was vary important with them. I ran races that were up to 35 to 40 minutes long, so braking them in helped them get to best performance faster, and run cooler longer. Iv burned my fingers a few times, and had one catch on fire. Lost most of that one.

6. Robin-Hood

Robin-Hood New Member

Inverness
    We don't run our motors like RC guys do. If you're going to be putting it in a SAW or something and holding the trigger a lot then it's probably worth it but it's not really necessary.