Motor crapped out

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by Sophomore, Oct 18, 2012.

1. Sophomore

Sophomore New Member

East Bay Area
    If i put the wrong connectors on my motor (positive wire on the negative tab), would it short?

2. Lefse

Lefse Well-Known Member Supporting Member

The motor will run backwards if you reverse the polarity. This isn't a problem outside the gearbox, but when the motor is installed in the gearbox, it will be stopped by the anti-reversal latch, and you risk burning the motor and your trigger switch, or MOSFET if you have one. The fuse is there to avoid this. Does your motor not work after accidentally trying to run it in reverse in the gearbox? If you're lucky you just have to clean the commutator and you may have to change the brushes. Your trigger switch may need some cleaning too, if you don't have a MOSFET unit installed.

3. Sophomore

Sophomore New Member

East Bay Area
    I have a 25amp blade fuse and it didn't blow. When I fixed the issue, the motor didn't spin at all. I have a M249 trigger switch but it's just like a traditional switch on the inside.

Thank god it was just a stock G&G motor.

4. Lefse

I guess it was enough to melt the insulation on the windings then. A Lonex A1 or A2 is an excellent replacement, or an Element Ultra Torque if you're on a tight budget.

5. Sophomore

Sophomore New Member

East Bay Area
    There was originally a lonex A2 in it, but I needed the lonex in my m14 so i tried to put the G&G in it.

The fuse was only 25amps and i would hate for my mosfet or my motor to blow because my fuse didn't work. Any suggestions?

6. Lefse

Well, G&G motors aren't exactly amazing, so a higher quality motor might have tripped the fuse and survived. Just be more careful when connecting the motor in the future and you'll be fine.