Motor Help

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by Frostbite1, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Frostbite1

Frostbite1 New Member

Frisco
    Hey, so I am progressing through the planning stage of my first build, in which I plan to over haul nearly every internal piece of my Echo 1 Scar L. I planning on spending quite a bit of money on parts and am just wondering about these two motors.

http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?cPath=24_73_381&products_id=38970

http://www.airsplat.com/Items/AC-UPI-SY-A2Z-L.htm

Since I'm not much of a tech, but would like to get better which one would be a better buy? (And I know system's reputation, but I was wondering if the bravo would be better for my money)

2. deathmechanic

deathmechanic Active Member

Davis
    Lil bit more info needed.

What setup are you looking for high speed, high fps output, trigger response, etc?

You really have to let us know what setup you are looking for as we can, and possibly might recommend a great motor that doesn't fit your setup.

What gears are you looking into what battery are you running?

3. Lefse

Lefse Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I wouldn't get any of those. Get a Lonex motor, or since you were thinking of actually spending around $100 on the motor, you could consider a TerminusX motor. I agree with deathmechanic, it would be easier to give a more specific answer with a bit more info.

4. Frostbite1

Frostbite1 New Member

Frisco
    Sorry about the lack of info, I was hoping to get increased trigger response and a higher rate of fire. I don't know what kind of gears I need, and I'm running a 8.4 NiMH mini. But I'll look into the TerminusX motor, and just wondering what kind of gears would go well with it and if I need to upgrade my battery. I don't really want to get a lipo though.

5. Frostbite1

Frostbite1 New Member

Frisco
  6. Lefse

Yeah, I suggested a TerminusX since it's in the $100 class and will do loops around a Systema motor, but a Lonex A1 at about half the price will be a huge improvement over your stock motor. You can use your stock gears, just make sure you shim them right, correct the AOE on the piston, and glue the bushings in place. If it has nylon bushings or ball bearings, those should be replaced with solid steel bushings.

What's your ROF and FPS goals really? We still need more info to give you a good answer. Do you want a sensible 350-400 fps and 25 rps, or an extreme 500fps at 30+ rps?

You don't really want to get a li-po, but you really should. Ni-mh batteries are obsolete. Big, heavy and underpowered. Li-po batteries are compact, light and have a much higher power output. I'm never going back to ni-mh again, li-po's are just better in every way.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  7. Frostbite1

Frostbite1 New Member

Frisco
    I do want to stay under 400 and have a decent rps about 20 rps. But I really don't know how to install lipo connectors but I'll look it up. But if I get a lipo then will I really need to get improved gears since lipo's are known to strip weaker gears, or just stick with the stock and shim them. And I've been looking into getting better bushings and a better piston.

8. Lefse

First you need to forget all those myths about li-po batteries. It's not the battery's fault that the gearbox breaks, it's the user's fault. If you run a gearbox at a high rate of fire than it's designed to handle, then something will break. If you shim the gears properly, then the stock gears should hold up fine. A Lonex A1 with a good 7.4v li-po should give a rof of 20-25 rps pulling an M110 spring through standard ratio gears, and with a voltage that low you can skip the mosfet if you prefer to avoid that. I install a basic mosfet unit in all my guns, regardless of battery voltage, it's just more efficient and reliable. If the stock bushings are steel, then you just have to glue them in place.

The stock piston should hold up if you correct AOE, but you could get a better piston just to be on the safe side. SHS pistons have a very good reputation, I use Lonex and Tokyo Marui pistons myself. You might as well replace the stock piston head too, a Lonex POM head should work nicely for this setup. If by "li-po connectors" you mean Deans connectors, then that's something you should use anyway. An alternative is XT60 connectors, pretty similar. Both are alot better than those flimsy Tamiya connectors, I hate those. In addition to the li-po battery you'll of course have to buy a li-po balance charger, you can get both pretty cheap at hobbyking.com. Just find a li-po battery that has the measurements that fits into the battery compartment of your gun.

9. Frostbite1

Frostbite1 New Member

Frisco
    Thanks for the help I will defiantly look into the deans connectors, li-po battery, and charger. Well I guess I have a whole lot more planning to do, but I really appreciate the help. But just to entertain a though because some of my gears a a little stripped, what brand of gears would you recommend for this setup?

10. MikeyJ

MikeyJ New Member

Pleasanton
    If you're looking for a higher rate of fire, you should get gears with either a 16:1 or 13:1 gear ratio (Stock gears are normally 18:1). From what I've heard, pairing high speed gears with a torque motor creates a more efficient gun.

Also, If you're looking for batteries, you can go here: http://eliteairsoftbatteries.com/category/65-mini-packs.aspx
    I have the 7.4v myself, and It's small enough to fit in a m4 buffer tube. The site also gives you a choice of connector (Tamiya, deans, etc)

11. Lefse

A set of XYT gears if you wanna save money, JG gears are also good, SHS or Lonex gears if you want something that's a bit better, or if you have a very flexible budget you can look into Sigetek gears, those are the strongest on the market. A set of SHS gears with a good bevel gear will hold up for several years in this setup though.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
  12. Frostbite1

Frostbite1 New Member

Frisco
    Thanks guys, I was looking at some SHS gears and I will check out that battery website. Now I just have to do some research on a MOSFET and Deans connector.