Motor Plate Screws- Help?

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by Blades, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Blades

Blades New Member

I stripped the motor screws in my M4, and after countless days of attempting to get them out, I finally did. The problem is I can't find those screws anywhere- then I realized that they were metric -.-
    Long story short, where can I get screws/ where do you guys buy your motor plate screws that are actually durable and won't strip on me within 3 motor changeouts?

2. marine121496

marine121496 Wahahaha~ Supporting Member

Ann Arbor
    Erm, to be honest I just grabbed random screws I had lying around and it went fine.

3. Broadway

Broadway New Member

I have never stripped mine... Your best bet might be to just buy a new motor plate (I assume you can buy them somewhere, I have never had to, so...)

4. Blades

Blades New Member

Really? My dad's workshop consists of my entire basement and I still can't find screws to go with it.

Sorry, but that is a terrible idea. I stripped mine, but buying a new motor plate won't solve the problem, all I need is two new screws.. It is the most expensive way to solve the problem and I'm not looking for that.

5. S0m3_0n3

S0m3_0n3 New Member

if you find some could you post the size? I'd like to add it to the database of hardware parts

6. Blades

Blades New Member

Yup, sure thing will do.

7. Col1500

Col1500 New Member

Kent
    I bought new ones at my local hardware store. They're M3 screws, just get them in the correct length.

8. Broadway

Broadway New Member

Yeah, that's a whole $5, good luck finding the screws, enjoy the $4 you save...

9. Blades

Blades New Member

Well the goal is to replace the crappy screws with durable screws. If I bought a new motor plate that is only going to fix the screw problem as long as the screws last. I could run into the same problem in a very short amount of time. Sorry to come across so harsh, didn't mean to.

10. Broadway

Broadway New Member

Well, after someone apologizes I usually stop being an @$$hole, so I'll try to put this as nicely as possible. Truth is, there's not really a higher quality screw (at least not by much). What you really need to do is be more careful when removing the screw, take your time and apply pressure to the top of the screwdriver or alan-wrench when using it to prevent it from slipping and stripping the screw.

11. Blades

Blades New Member

I think my best bet is going with your motor plate idea. I did rush through it the first time and that is why the screw is stripped, I just want to fix it before it happens again. I'll try to look for M3 screws tomorrow but I doubt anyone will have it.

12. Broadway

Broadway New Member

One of my favorite things in the world is being right.. And my M4.. And my girlfriend, not in that order of course lol!

13. Broadway

Broadway New Member

But tell me how it goes, post whether you are able to find them or not.

14. Blades

Blades New Member

Well you are right in this situation... Most likely lol. I don't want to accept defeat quite yet though, I HATE cheap screws/Classic Army and just wish I could fix them. I guess not >.<
    I'll get back to you on whether the M3's will work, or whether I'll be ordering a FakePul motor plate from China tomorrow, just to get replacement screws.

15. Blades

Blades New Member

These are all that motor screws are, 3mm. You were right, thanks a bunch! I picked these up at Menard's and they are significantly stronger than the stock screws. Thanks for the help guys.

Attached Files:

16. Col1500

Col1500 New Member

Kent
    Of course I was right! How could you ever doubt me!

Lol, I'm not that cocky of course :p

Attached Files: