Mp5 i.d.

Discussion in 'Electric Guns' started by Hartman96, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Hartman96

Hartman96 Active Member

Woodville
    My uncle purchased an MP5 (Yr. 1997-2001). It has stopped working an his son has asked me to fix it. I have no idea as to the brand, the battery connector is a different size also. It says "Academy electric gun" on the inside of the box.

Attached Files:

2. Urban_ART

Urban_ART New Member

Well for my gun I have an adaptor for the battery to make it fit a small plug 9.6v battery.

3. Knief

Knief Moderator Moderator

Ann Arbor
    Academy is or at least used to be a manufacturer (or rebranded, we didn't entirely know about those things back then). They made terrible guns, lots of lpegs, stuff like that. I wouldn't have high hopes for that gun.

I can't tell if that connector is a large Tamiya or something else. It's probably a large Tamiya unless you know for sure it's something else.

4. Hartman96

Hartman96 Active Member

Woodville
    Here is a photo of the gear box, the gears are metal, and it also has a spring release lever (to release tension on the spring).

Attached Files:

5. Col1500

Col1500 Member

Kent
    That motor looks proprietary.... Looks a bit like the one the TM Famas had. The rest looks pretty standard.

6. Thestig

Thestig Some say... Supporting Member

Colorado Springs and Southern California
    No... No it doesn't look pretty standard. Something looks up. Let me go look through some pictures and get back here.

EDIT: I thought I was right, but I had to double check, as I have neither seen, nor heard about this before. That is a Version 8 gearbox I believe. At least it has all of the characteristics of one from the pictures provided. What is unique is I have never heard of one in anything other than a Type 89. The motor is from a V1 gearbox. I can't remember, and I don't have any reference pictures of what motor a V8 uses.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  7. levirocks

levirocks #FreeNuggy Lifetime Supporter

arlington
  8. Thestig

Yes, the gears are on the other side.

It probably is a V2 actually, now that I look at it. I spent 5 min. Flipping between pictures of V2s, V8s, and this, and the V8 looked closer. Something about the placement of the bearings. Maybe it was just the angle of pictures and lack of sleep.

Bedtime. So I don't start confusing gears with pistons and guns with gear. In fact, all I see right now are stars and fairies. Man, I'm tired.

9. levirocks

levirocks #FreeNuggy Lifetime Supporter

arlington
    [​IMG]
    Upper righthand picture shows gears on both sides.

10. Knief

Knief Moderator Moderator

Ann Arbor
    Also, the version 8 didn't exist when this was made. Hell, the version three had probably just come out. More importantly, nobody had or still would have a reason to use something other than a V2 box in an mp5. Now, whether hat V2 box is anywhere on spec with a TM is a crapshoot. The long and short of it is, Academys were complete jokes, so nobody owned one.

11. Thestig

Ok, so after 9 hours of sleep, I went back and looked at my "guide" pictures that were given to me by a member when I first started, and they were wrong. I took me about 15 min. To figure it out. Yes, that is a V2. So it was my lack of sleep, and misinformation given to me. Sorry, I was wrong. Complete mistake.

12. Ehudakineyah

Ehudakineyah New Member

Mililani
    V2 gearbox with a proprietary motor mount.

Looks like a V1 type motor.

There are upgrades for it. After market RC motors used to upgrade like the TM FAMAS series.

Takes some ingenuity :) but it can be done