Mr. Gearbox's 30rps ICS G33

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by MrGearbox, Sep 9, 2015.

1. MrGearbox

MrGearbox New Member

Peoria
    Hey everybody!

I have a build I am working on and I would like to share my parts lists so that you all can throw tomatoes at me and tell me what I am doing wrong. Now before you cringe and call me basic for doing this, there is a point to this as I can learn from your knowledge and experience. Here it goes!

ICS G33
    - Goals: 360 to 380 fps and around 30 rps on an 11.1v

GEARBOX

Shell: Lonex V3
    Cylinder: ZCI Full..the joules will be real with the stock 263mm barrel!!!(might port it might not )
    Cylinder Head: SHS G36 Long
    Air Nozzle: Stock (Great seal and proprietary anyways)
    Piston Head: Super Shooter POM
    Piston: SHS 14.5 (might have to swiss cheese for pre engagement but I don't expect that on an m120)
    Spring: SHS M120 (will be short stroked 1 or maybe 2 teeth...the sector gear, that is)
    Spring Guide: Cyma V3 Ball Bearing...yes it works (its metal and ball bearing thats all I need)
    Tappet: SHS V3
    Bushings: Lonex 8mm
    Gears & Pinion: SHS 12:1's and SHS/DA O type (I am prepared for a bevel failure...just want to see where this goes)

ELECTRICAL

Motor: ICS Turbo 3000(yes the magnets are thin but they ARE neodymium and at around 20 tpa...the motor seems fine to me)
    Trigger Contacts: Lonex V3
    Mosfet: Zardichar Nova!!!
    Deans, 16awg, etc...

HOP UP AND BARREL

Hop up unit: Stock ICS G33 (Proprietary and best in the market)
    Bucking: ICS bucking...lonex 70d was out of stock plus this one is nice and soft
    Hop: R hop and M nub
    Barrel: Stock 6.04 263mm

Well there it is! Commence the tomato throwing!!!

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
  2. Lefse

Lefse Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Exactly why are you replacing the stock gearbox shell when you're not going to use bearings? In my experience it's wise o use the stock gearbox shell if it's sufficient for the setup you're running, as you're guaranteed that it'll actually fit inside the gun. You'll get very poor compression efficiency with a full cylinder with a barrel that short, even without short stroking I'd expect the fps to drop to 300-350 fps, might drop even lower actually.

Beside these points your list looks quite solid. CYMA spring guides are actually quite durable, I'm using one in one of my AEG's, forgot which, but it's held up nicely in a setup doing at least 30 rps.

3. MrGearbox

MrGearbox New Member

Peoria
    Thank you for your input!!! And I am using the Lonex shell since the stock ICS one is CHEAP pot metal and like 3 out of 5 of the screw holes are stripped. I DO NOT trust it on 30 rps! And as the cylinder goes, that is very valuable information and I am glad your knowleddge helped me! I can definentely port the cylinder or just buy a ported one. And yeah the CYMA spring guide does look pretty solid! Thanks once again dood! Take care!

4. Lefse

It makes perfect sense to replace the stock GB shell then. I'm not too fond of Lonex shells myself, but it should do the trick. The stock cylinder is ported for a reason, there needs to be a certain volume ratio between the cylinder and barrel to fully utilize the energy stored in the spring. I'm glad I could be of help, I have worked on gearboxes for a few years now so I have some experience.

5. MrGearbox

MrGearbox New Member

Peoria
    Awesome! Thanks for the help again. And yeah, Lonex does have a pretty good reputation with their gearboxes strength, except for some quality control errors in the past few months. But that was only for their V2 gearboxes. And yes, I understand the cylinder to barrel volume ratio :) I just assumed that it would only directly affect the joules, not the FPS. But good thing I posted since you found my error. Thanks again!!!

6. Lefse

Joules and FPS are measure units for energy and velocity and are linked to eachother. Velocity multiplied by weight equals energy. The energy will decrease if the velocity decreases, unless the velocity decrease is because of higher BB weight. The only way to not lose energy output when overvoluming is by using extra heavy BB's, and even then you'll most likely end up with low compression efficiency. Overvoluming also theoretically can hurt accuracy as it'll cause more turbulence behind the BB as it exits the barrel.

I've actually found Lonex to have surprisingly poor QC, half of the Lonex gear sets I've bought in the past had serious defects. I used to be a major Lonex fanboy, but these days not so much. I still like their air seal parts and hop-up buckings, but I never use their gears, pistons, motors or gearbox shells anymore.

7. MrGearbox

MrGearbox New Member

Peoria
    Dang mind blown :) The physics part definentely does make sense. And yeah you are right on the QC in today's Lonex products, but it is what it is and besides, today's advanced techs can work with what they get :)

8. MADR77

MADR77 Well-Known Member

Boise
    I agree with Lefse. You will probably see a drop in FPS in your build. I attempted a similar build like yours, and my FPS dropped down to 275 with .20s.

9. MrGearbox

MrGearbox New Member

Peoria
    Daaang... and yeah after reading his justification it made sense and I now made plans to accommodate for the fps loss. Thanks though for the verification buddy! Can always learn from someone elses experience. :)