Multi-purpose rifle?

Discussion in 'Staging Area' started by dman10, Sep 13, 2012.

1. dman10

dman10 New Member

Elgin
    I was watching Ultimate Weapons the other day and noticed a m4/m16 rifle that had two upper receivers, one for stand combat and one for sniping. You just switched out upper receivers depending on what your doing. I was wondering if anyone new anything about this system? Sorry I can't give you more info but I cannot find anything here or on the internet about this gun.

2. Drainsla

Drainsla New Member

You mean changing the whole upper like from long barrel to short barrel? A M4/M16 uppers can be changed easily. It isn't new. It's just new to you. It's like changing a slide on a pistol or the pull string on a crossbow. Adapting. It isn't practical for airsoft because who carries around an extra receiver in the field? And if you did it would take time and wouldnt really be needed when in airsoft range is everything and why switch?

3. Drainsla

Drainsla New Member

Probably, but I ask why? This seems too Real Weapons for this forum right?

4. marine121496

marine121496 Wahahaha~ Supporting Member

Ann Arbor
    You can delete your own posts, by hitting the delete button below the post when you hit edit, right next to save. Now as for switching uppers and lowers for CQB and long range you can switch a say 509mm barrel m16-a 363mm m4 receiver, but there won't be an absurd change. SparkyD I believe it was however has a 363mm barrel? That he switches with a much shorter barrel to reduce the velocity and make it cqb legal, pretty clever I was going to do it when I got a short barrel.

5. Protectionperfection

Protectionperfection New Member

Worcester
    You can have it for looks. Kind of like an acr having the cqb and standard barrels that are interchangeable...
    I plan on having an m16 length upper for my ics that I can just swap out when needed

Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
  6. TheCaptainAlmighty

TheCaptainAlmighty New Member

Gallifrey
    Yes, this concept is old. Many people have been switching out uppers quickly for different purposes often.

7. dman10

dman10 New Member

Elgin
    Ok, thanks I was planning on doing this so I don't have to buy a all new rifle, just upper receivers.

8. Sparky_D

Sparky_D Moderator Staff Member

Pierce County
    Used to do it all the time with my ICS:

[​IMG]

I'd run a DMR set up for a while, then swap to a shorter, lighter CQB set up later (when I got tired of lugging around the long gun...)

9. Drainsla

Drainsla New Member

Very nice! Very cool idea. I would have thought it would be practical in airsoft.

10. averageairsofter

averageairsofter New Member

Menifee
    I tried it once to experiment because I have both an M16 and an M4. I would use the M4 upper for short to mid range combat and then switched to the M16 upper for the longer shots. Between the 363mm barrel and the 509mm barrel there is not a noticable difference in accuracy or range. I never tried it again after that because it doesn't make sense to carry around 5 extra pounds and then taking the time to switch uppers during combat to get maybe 5 feet more range and an unnoticable accuracy increase. It works in real life because a longer barrel does give you a lot more range and accuracy but in airsoft it's impractical.