Multicam or OCP ?

Discussion in 'Clothing / Gear' started by Skipjack647, Nov 23, 2014.

1. Skipjack647

Skipjack647 Member

Nashville
    What are the differences between OCP and Multicam? I know Multicam is lighter with beige colors and OCP has more greens and browns and it is brighter but any other differences? Also, which one is the Army really using? ALL sources I've read say OCP, but pictures say Multicam. The multicam I got from my cousin in the Air Force is most definitely Multicam because of the faded look and the beige color. He told me that the uniform is the exact same as all the army guys at his post in Djibouti. Pictures say Multicam, my cousin says Multicam, but online and Massif combat shirts(the official combat shirt of the Army) say Multicam. ALL of the Massif combat shirts I've seen on Ebay are OCP, the brighter green and brown with little beige.

So which is it?

2. airsoftmaniacman

airsoftmaniacman Active Member

Baltimore
    From what I remember, coloration is almost identical. The key difference is the vertical stripes of color. Multicam had vertical stripes of color while Scorpion OCP was an earlier prototype without those vertical strips.

Army is using OCP, a prototype of Multicam because they didn't want to pay Crye's outrageous price for MC.

Sent from my iPhone using Airsoft Society

3. Skipjack647

Skipjack647 Member

Nashville
    :(

It may be but the massif shirts I compared with my acu multicam were significantly brighter. The massifs had more green and brown with less beige and we're really bright. I haven teen a massif that doesn't look like that. What makes me confused is that the Massif is the official combat shirt if the Army yet it looks different than the MC that the Army uses. Thus also further confuses me as what u wear is multicam and not OCP, which is what the Army is saying they are using.

I know that is extremely confusing trying to understand my confusion but I just don't get it.

4. Whisperecho

Whisperecho Member Supporting Member

I own both multicam and "OCP" and they're pretty much the same darn thing. My Crye AC's match almost perfectly to my old Massif combat shirt and my friend ACP's match my Crye AC's. I believe there are some slight differences but not much noticeable.

In regards to Cryes "Outrageous Price" that is totally not true. I've read several articles straight from Crye and several other sources saying that the cost difference between Cryes Multicam manufacturing and the current ACU was under 1%.

Hope that helps a bit.

5. Skipjack647

Skipjack647 Member

Nashville

Thats what I've heard, but judging from me comparing my legit multicam ACUs to the massif combat shirts on sale at my local field which was selling them new and in good condition, my ACUs were significantly lighter and more faded color. I'll get a picture to post eventually but they look very different.

6. Whisperecho

It could very well be the fact that your ACU's are simply faded because I really see no difference between the two. Maybe I'm wrong but It's just what I've observed. Please do post pictures though, I am curious :)

7. Skipjack647

Skipjack647 Member

Nashville

Thats actally very probable. After all, they were e used in Africa so that may be the case. I do t have pics but I do have a video that shows the difference. One minute.

8. Whisperecho

-snip- yeah rethought that one if you saw it you know what I mean. Anyway lets see em.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
  9. Knief

Knief Moderator Moderator

Ann Arbor
    We have stickies for a reason:

http://www.airsoftsociety.com/forums/f96/gear-color-comparison-guide-38871/

Take some time to familiarize yourself with the rest of them as well.

The most likely answer is twofold: First, the fabric on the Massif combat shirts is different from the fabric of your ACUs. That fabric shows a brighter coloring. This is incredibly common when comparing two fabrics with the same pattern. Second, your uniform is more faded than you realize. Here's an example of both. This a pair of Crye G3s. The stretch material is naturally a little brighter than the 50/50 NYCO, but the NYCO has also faded a bit while the stretch material hasn't:

[​IMG]

10. Skipjack647

Skipjack647 Member

Nashville

Ive seen this sticky before and it was useful but it wouldnt have helped with my search. Thank you for this reply and picture. This is pretty much what I'm talking about. I guess it's just the difference in material that makes the difference. That on top of my ACUs being worn will further solidify the problem I had.

By the way, here's a video to show what happenend when I compared my ACUs to the Massif combat shirt. It just so turns out the guy wearing the clothing is wearing the exact same things I compared. This video is of my local Milsim team, the GunDevils, on there selection day

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vanv_hMLXQw[/ame] ( skip to 2:44)

11. Knief

Ann Arbor
    The guy at 2:44, the only part of his pants that you can see are getting washed out in the bright sun while the camp on his shirt is in the dark shade. The camera's sense doesn't have enough dynamic range to show either properly with the way it's metering. There is absolutely zero helpful information at 2:44 in that video, or likely any other point if it's all shot in contrasts light with a camera that can't handle it.

Did you scroll down to Monkey's post in the the sticky? He compares all sorts of Multicam and OCP.

12. Skipjack647

Skipjack647 Member

Nashville

Really? I saw further up his leg that was also in shade and you can see it then. I'm sorry 6 if you couldn't see that. Yes I did scroll down to Monkeys post after you posted the link to it here. I've already seen the OP that you made, and I read it again after you posted it here and saw Monkeys post. I also saw tour post as well so my answer was verified. I wad posting the video to show what I was I asking about but failed I guess.

13. Knief

Ann Arbor
    Yeah, at no point in that video is the light even close to correct to give you an accurate comparison between the two. The only place you can even pretend to compare is when he's reholstering his pistol at about 2:55, but even then you can't reall tell anything. The pocket on the pants is angling toward his front while the Multicam side of the shirt is angling toward his back, which means that they're being exposed to different amounts of light. Is it any surprise that the piece that's facing the brighter open door looks lighter? The areas you'd be trying to compare are also too small and too blurred to know what's in them. If his pocket is generally made up of lighter or more tan colors while the bottom of his shirt is printed with darker greens, then the shirt will obviously look darker. But the resolution of the video, the uneven lighting, and the distance from which it's shot makes differentiating what colors are where completely impossible.

You're looking at evidence that doesn't exist and using it to confirm something that you already believe based on other bad evidence (comparing a brand new shirt on the shelf to your faded and used in Africa uniform).

I'm not sure what you're trying to say about the different times that you read the post, but the answer is very clear in this picture:

[​IMG]

Captioned from left to right, "500d Cordura, Emerson, Massif, OCP up top and some Propper on the side," "Without flash."

The Massif is clearly just a hair brighter than the real stuff (the Propper on the right and the 500D on the far left). This thread really didn't need to continue after I posted the link to the above picture.

14. Skipjack647

Skipjack647 Member

Nashville

Sorry if I said that wrong. But I have seen the picture and I used it to verify my answer to my question and the other answers in this thread. Sorry thay I drug this out more than I needed. Sorry if this was a bother guys, really didn't mean to but I didn't want this uniform making my geardo- in-progress arsenal incomplete! (Sarcasm)

15. Gregory Romeu

Gregory Romeu New Member

Summerfield
    It
    It is ALWAYS best to just go right to the SOURCE!
    ARN30302-AR_670-1-000-WEB-1.pdf (army.mil)

16. Gregory Romeu

Gregory Romeu New Member

Summerfield

Why guess? Just go to the SOURCE! ARN30302-AR_670-1-000-WEB-1.pdf (army.mil)

17. Graybeard

Graybeard Active Member

Silver Spring
    Spent the last 20 years washing active duty issued army uniforms(wife’s, not mine). They will fade quickly. If you want to slow down the fade, zip/button/Velcro the top closed and turn the uniform inside out when you throw it into the wash. This also slows down the Velcro fuzzing out.