My VFC SCAR-H is broken

Discussion in 'Electric Guns' started by Armygoat05, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Armygoat05

Armygoat05 New Member

Concord
    Here's the background on this story:

I bought this gun last year in November 2011 and it has worked flawlessly up until recently. I only played one day's worth of full out war games with it and prior to it breaking it was just sitting there collecting dust in my room.

My friend goes to pick it up and shoot it and it's just shooting air.. okay, wtf? I run through all the checks and end up tearing apart the lower receiver to find the tappet plate is broken. Awesome, I go to the local airsoft shop and pick up a tappet plate for it. I go to reassemble everything perfectly how I pulled it apart, only to find the gun is totally dead. It doesn't click, and the motor doesn't turn when I go and pull the trigger. I try multiple attempts to run through alternate power sources, I try to run direct current from the battery instead of from through the stock, nothing. I also alternatively try to run current through an automotive power probe just to see if it was possibly the battery that somehow died. Nope, battery's good. Out of curiosity I directly supplied power to the motor and it doesn't turn either, it should when supplied independent power right? :confused: After all these setups are run by DC current.

Wiring looks good and has not been pinched at all. This gun was firing hard right before I tore it apart, it just wasn't shooting any bb's out of it. WTF happened?! I'm ready to crush this thing I've wasted so much time on it. I even bought a new supercore piston for it and obviously the local store has a return policy which is: There is none. Wow what a pointless buy.

Any ideas? I need some fresh minds in this one. I was thinking trigger assembly, but how could it be if everything was functioning perfectly fine prior to.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2012
  2. Shiftyshooter

Shiftyshooter Learn from your mistakes. Lifetime Supporter

Prague
    Hi, welcome to the boards.

Please make sure you read the rules so that I do not have to edit your posts. A link to them is in my signature.

3. Armygoat05

Armygoat05 New Member

Concord
    Thanks for editing and for the welcome. I had a feeling the title might get edited. I'm just frustrated enough with this junk right now to where I'm at that point.

4. Adman234

Adman234 Active Member

Wildwood
    Sounds like an issue with the motor. If you give it power, it should turn, otherwise it is broken.

And this seems obvious, buy have you checked the fuse?

5. Armygoat05

Armygoat05 New Member

Concord
    How could the motor have just crapped out so suddenly like that? Wouldn't I hear something if everything else worked? All you need to test it if it is turning or not is a power and ground right? Or am I missing something here I don't know about..

One more thing, there is no fuse, I did away with it because the stock wiring in the stock is sloppy and doesn't permit use of anything unless modified.

6. Armygoat05

Armygoat05 New Member

Concord
    Wait, Frago... I found the problem. When I pulled the motor out the brush springs came flying out so I could never figure out how they went in, what happened was I was putting the springs on incorrectly, also the little wires that come out of the brushes weren't wound up sufficiently tight and sufficient contact wasn't being made inside the brush hood to the brushes. I found this by supplying direct power from my battery to the brushes while pushing them up tight against the hood's. I double wound them on the area they rest on and found how the springs sit from an internet image. It took me a couple attempts to get them perfect but it works now, trigger assembly and all. I will put the gun back together after work and take a couple test shots to ensure all is well, but as it sits everything is ready to go in!

7. Adman234

Adman234 Active Member

Wildwood
    sweet, glad to hear. That makes sense.

Brush springs are fun, especially on guns with a motor cage. I had some brush springs that kept shorting against the motor cage and crapping out, that took me a while to figure out the problem.

8. Armygoat05

Armygoat05 New Member

Concord
    That would definitely piss me off, those springs suck, they really should come up with a better solution to complete the circuit. I might have to do it one day myself.

9. Armygoat05

Armygoat05 New Member

Concord
    I just put it all back together, only to get disappointed again. I go and squeeze the trigger, but I get faint response from the motor. I tried adjusting it tons of different ways via the large center screw but it doesn't seem to do much. It all sounds faint either way. How hard is the motor supposed to kick when it's turning on? It definitely doesn't sound strong enough.

10. gregomacomb

gregomacomb New Member

Chesterfield
    I'd just say buy a new motor. Trashing a 500 dollar gun for a 30-50 dollar motor aint worth it.

11. Fyzix

Fyzix Fyzzy Was Here. Supporting Member

Garland
    Goddamnit, Gregomacomb. Screw you AND your Necro! You had me thinking Adman was back. :(

12. Rushin

Rushin Well-Known Member

Kalamazoo
    Read. The. Dates.

This problem has most likely been solved, 3 years ago at that.

13. gregomacomb

gregomacomb New Member

Chesterfield
    Lol sorry I didn't notice e the date

14. snapshot311

snapshot311 New Member

Woodbury
    This. Take this opportunity to beast mode your gun. If it's been collecting dust for one war, chances are it will sit for a bit anyway. AEG'S to me are like puzzles are to some people... only I can change the picture in the puzzle if I want to and actually go do something with it as opposed to putting it back in a box to sell at a yard sale for 25 cents. If it's always a work in progress, it's never broken or finished. Best of luck.

15. snapshot311

snapshot311 New Member

Woodbury
    Hahahahahahahahahaha