Mythical Tokyo Marui SPAS-12 Short Barrel

Discussion in 'Spring Powered Guns' started by Nineball69, Oct 24, 2021.

1. Nineball69

Nineball69 Active Member Lifetime Supporter

What it says on the tin.

Long ago, in my teens, I had a Tokyo Marui SPAS-12 with the folding stock, and a snub barrel. Bought it on eBay for about 250$ and it worked perfectly.

I gave it off to a friend for 100$ not knowing its true worth. I'm still in contact with him, but I believe it was thrown away because it broke. It looked verbatim as such:

[​IMG]

I can't find *anything*, even through all of my old Japanese sources about it. Does anybody recall seeing one of these, or where one can be found? Is this early-onset dementia?

2. adas1223

adas1223 Well-Known Member

stratford
    Haven't seen this ever. Octagon airsoft has the folding stock but not short barrel. Rip

3. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    TM never made a short barrel. It's a custom if anything.

4. Nineball69

It's a *really* good custom, then. It looks exactly like the real one shown here. I got in touch with my old friend who owns it, and he's willing to let it go for 30$ next Friday. I'll see if I can get him to get a picture of the front end.

5. GrimWolf0770

GrimWolf0770 Active Member

Pittsburgh area
    Looks like the spas in farCry !

aotsukisho likes this.
  6. Nineball69

I have horrible news. I got sent a picture of the one I traded...

20211026_011316.jpg

7. Nineball69

8. Nineball69

The inner barrels of the longer barrel would have been needed both cutting down, re-crowning. I can't believe it would have been a custom...

This is devastating. I had both a hard drive crash and then a ransomware attack a couple years back, within two years of each other. I lost almost everything to both.

9. Nineball69

I knew I wasn't going insane!

Screenshot_2021-10-26-03-54-34.png

10. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    That's another modded unit. Note it's not cut as short as your first image unit.

It isn't a production unit.

TM inner barrel for Tri-Shots are about 12"

So with a 18" outer barrel replica you can cut off 5" easy and not affect the inner barrel position.

11. Nineball69

That's a picture of a real SPAS-12 short barrel. I can't recall how long the barrel was on mine. What kind of coincidence is it that there were two of these across the world?

12. Nineball69

Oh look, another one!

SPAS-12-CQB.jpg

13. Nineball69

This one came from a reddit post:

spas-12-cqb-02.jpg

airsoft-tokyo-marui-spas-12-slika-16810000.jpg

The bottom image is from a czech auction site.

I refuse to believe that these shorter variants are not a production unit. These would have been very difficult to change out even the outer barrel. The muzzle device might've been a different story.

Are you convinced, now, GOOGS?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
  14. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    Nope. I lived through that era importing these items. No "shorty's" were ever made as a "production model.

However, if these were a Limited Edition non- catalog item, I would be wrong.

Many people all over the world can mod these things...just because 10+ people did it doesn't mean TM made a production run of it. You need to be a bit more objective in your reasoning.

The simplest resource is Dentrinity. Website Running since ~1996 and Nelson never deletes anything from his website. If they list one on their site...TM made it. Guess what...they don't.

http://www.dentrinityshop.com/den_search.jsp

Oh and Wikipedia has an accurate line up of their historical manufactured items.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokyo_Marui

Funny the picture submitted by "Broken Spear" for the AK was from me 21 years ago...

Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
  15. Nineball69

Man, Den's a great resource, but it's not the Alexandria library.

When I collect more of the TM catalogs, I'll prove it to you, someday.

We still haven't determined, exactly though, if these were a kit, who made that kit, or if it was a limited run model.

How do you pronouce your name correctly? Been wondering about that for over a decade.

Anyway, someday you're gonna eat a hat after I prove you wrong.

16. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    By the images it's not a kit.
    It's take off the muzzle and cap.

Cut and reattach.

Again...look at DEN...no SPAS short barrel kit....etc.

However, you will be very surprised on how much is on DEN from the Golden Age of TM compatible Airsoft parts and accessories.

They still show a SPAS with a folding stock when no one else even lists it any more. And you can see the historical retail price too.

And there is nothing to prove wrong when it "doesn't exist" from the factory.

17. Nineball69

You'll see someday. I'll prove these were factory units.

18. Nineball69

Wait, I think you're onto something. Two of them are missing the front sight. The one that has it, as did mine.

You may be right.

19. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    None of your "shorty" units have a front sight...they are all "hack jobs".

20. Nineball69

Now not quite. The one from the Kenworth post had its front sight.