Need Advice for Modifying or Adapting Barrel Nuts or Receivers to Fit Different Spec Handguards

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by wetpee, Jun 11, 2021 at 3:09 AM.

1. wetpee

wetpee Active Member

Libertyville
    So from my understanding, there are 3 or 4 different barrel nut specs..
    • VFC
    • G&P/TM
    • G&G
    • Real Steel
    Does anyone have the exact thread specs for each?

I have a G&G plastic body looking to take a real steel AR-15 handguard. I tried to measure the threads on the G&G receiver and I think I'm looking at M31x1.5mm (metric). Real steel AR-15 is 1-1/4"x18 Threads Per Inch (SAE). Can I just cut new threads on the receiver or barrel nut and expect it to hold up fine?
    For reference, this barrel nut looks identical to the one I'm working with, but has G&P/TM spec threads:
    Madbull Barrel Nut for Noveske NSR Airsoft Rail Systems

2. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    Actually it's two, might be 3 with old ICS.

G&P/TM/VFC/RS are essentially the same. However, the Airsoft nuts I have encountered are just not threaded all the way and you need a tap to take it to 7 threads and put the Airsoft part on to a RS receiver.

I have put Spec'd barrel nuts from Dytac (same OEM as G&P), TM Spec, PTW Spec and VFC Spec rails on RS uppers.

3. wetpee

wetpee Active Member

Libertyville
    RS as in real steel or Real Sword? And so is G&G TM spec? Is this ARP9 receiver an oddball? The threads aren't cut all the way to the receiver so theres a gap between the handguard and the receiver. Even if the receiver threads went all the way to the receiver, the nut can just spin since there's nothing to lock it in place.

4. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    Real Steel. Real Sword doesn't have anything that use AR parts.

G&G May have shifted to "common" Spec threads on some models. I have not conformed that yet...