Need help buying strong v2 gearbox

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by steeda50, Mar 29, 2011.

1. AKAKman

AKAKman New Member

Park Ridge
    The Modify Torus is one of thee best gearboxes out there. I've used a CA...and the screw holes stripped. So, I went with a Deepfire one from Ehobbyasia and I have not been dissapointed...good quality...good price...but the Modify Torus is the best of the best.

On anothe note, a SP150 spring in ANY V2 gearbox will crack the gearbox over time....you need an Ajax STS or some sorbothane pads on the cylinder head to absorb the shock. I went with the Ajax STS and was happy with it...although you need a Metal Body and One Piece Metal Hop-Up to use it.

Other than that, you'll be good to go in terms of gearboxes.

2. steeda50

steeda50 New Member

Cleveland
    hey, thanks for your help and advice.

3. KingCobra

KingCobra New Member

moyock
    find a KWA shell. they are re-inforced at the front to take the stress, so a sp150 will run fine in it.

4. steeda50

steeda50 New Member

Cleveland
    on another note, is it a bad idea to run an aluminum piston head AND aluminum cylinder head at the same time?

thanks

5. KingCobra

KingCobra New Member

moyock
    no. but I would throw some sorbo in there the reduce the stress.

6. wiseman

wiseman New Member

Yeah it's good. you can still use this even at higher spring like SP170. But have sorbo on it.;)

7. deathmechanic

deathmechanic Active Member

Davis
    KWA shells wont fit in other bodies. I've tried requires modding and the end result isint pretty.

8. Uller

Uller Active Member

Topeka
    Funny this thread should spring up.Im going to experiment with brazing plates on to the frontsides of an A&K SR-25 GB to handle the stresses of large springs.If I can get it to work right,ill do a thread on the procedure.This could be applied to V2's aswell.

9. steeda50

steeda50 New Member

Cleveland
    very cool

10. chaosnemesis

chaosnemesis New Member

I've made a build using full modify parts and box and have to say it's absolutely solid. M170 at 22rps (no, I didn't game her. Just one of those "I've done that" builds. Like a high rof build, not very practical but hey.... I've done that) 4 bags of bbs (16k) over a year and she still has that new box feel.

11. steeda50

steeda50 New Member

Cleveland
    o.k. can i get more info. website, pics,etc. on sorbo or Ajax STS. this goes on the face of the cylinder head only or piston head or what? heard of it before. i see that a lot of aluminum cylinder heads have like a rubber(poly) bumper on the face of it.

12. AKAKman

AKAKman New Member

Park Ridge

Right....HAZMAT, KWA internals aren't usually compatible with standard gearboxes....LOL...everyone should know that...which is why I don't have a KWA :)

13. KingCobra

KingCobra New Member

moyock
    i know this, I state this all the time, the exact reason I own a G&P

14. deathmechanic

Davis
    Then why did you say to get a KWA shell?

15. klinefrog

klinefrog New Member

Costa Mesa
    cuz he obviously didnt know anything about KWA shells and KWA in general

16. chaosnemesis

chaosnemesis New Member

The element 9mm shell is decent too. I know i usually say "stay away" from element but, this box is pretty good for the price.

17. deathmechanic

Davis
    Choas you think a shell could handle a high fps/high rps build?

18. chaosnemesis

chaosnemesis New Member

Sorry, ....think A shell or the element one I've just mentioned? The torus is still going strong with the m170 installed but it's only seen about 16000 rounds. a non-reinforced box would've cracked by now from fatigue but at only 16k rounds it's still early to call it conclusive. The element shell is sporting an m140 for a dmr setup and has only seen a few thousands rounds but.... Most of these were shot while hovering around the freezing mark. Again a non-reinforced gearbox would've cracked under those circumstances.

19. deathmechanic

Davis
    Thanks Chaos thats all i needed to know.