Need help choosing a new airsoft gun

Discussion in 'What Gun Should I Get?' started by lesajjj, Aug 3, 2020.

1. lesajjj

lesajjj Member

Danbury
    So last game my SHS PP-19 hit the gutter, and long story short, I most likely need to replace the whole gearbox from what the tech said. Sick of constantly throwing repairs into the gun, so I’m just gonna give up AEGs altogether and go back to running GBB. After careful research and price calculating, I came to the decision of either getting a GHK AUGa2, S&T M1887, or a KWA mac11.

For the GHK AUG, between the gun, 3 mags ($50 per mag), and 14 inch barrel swap, it’ll run me about $700 including shipping. Other than the price I hear nothing but good things about em, so I won’t expect it’ll break on me instantly or I’ll need to upgrade parts immediately.

With the S&T M1887 (long version, so with a stock and decently longer barrel), the gun, 4x shells (set already included with gun, there’s 5 total per set) and a shell bandolier, it will run me $572. Seems like the gun is well built and very good, only problem is that it’s shell ejecting, but honestly that is not really much of an issue to me at all since I can easily make a shell catcher, I’ve done it before for a couple other guns.

KWA mac-11 is certainly gonna be the cheapest option, as it will be around $250-$300 (3 mags and 1 included) I heard some issues with these things here and there, but I can’t get a definite answer as to how common it is. The thing obviously isn’t gonna be accurate but if I do get this one I will certainly get upgrades down the road.

My goal for a new gun is that I want something lightweight, reliable, accurate (mostly), and most importantly, fun to use :) And yes, I know, before people start spamming this thread with the same comment, I know an AEG can fill all these rolls well, but I specifically do not want to keep dealing with AEGS anymore, I enjoyed the hobby more when I was using my GBBR. I’m just not sure what to get out of the 3 I listed, I feel they will all fill the criteria I listed before very well, I’m just not sure what to choose. Any feedback will be helpful!

2. Guges Mk3

Guges Mk3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Minneapolis
    You have some misconceptions and let me preface your future needs with this:

American Consumerism Does Not Apply To Airsoft.

And this is why:

GHK AUG, is a batch gun. Seasonal at best every 2 years. That means it's only made once every two years maybe. This means there is minimal if Any After market support for a low volume gun. They don't break, because not many are around to get a statistical analysis of durability. And parts for them is slim to know and you may have to adapt a something else to "upgrade" it.

With that...GHK makes absolutely functional GBB's even for use in the dead of winter (tested with AK left in a snow back for three days with GG mags in and if fired after it was dug out. It actually fired the whole mag) without the need of using CO2. They migrated off CO2 because their guns are made mostly of aluminum and zinc alloys and CO2 absolutely beat the crap out of them. However, it's not faring better with GG either. That AK mentioned above has several pieces missing off the BCG and a few other impact parts.

S&T M1887 is a low budget clone of the Marushin M1887 (Terminator) Shotgun.
    While it would be fun. This is another GBB with Low product support. prepare to make/source your own seals when leaks occur. When the level action sear wears down...have 3D printed spares ready made of a HARD fill polymer material.

KWA M11...by far the one of the oldest GBB's on the market...almost 2 decades old now in the J-Spec configuration. Do NOT put oil in the mags. It will eat the rubber seals. It does suffer from brittle parts and the parts are not easy to find and upgrades...yeah...not really in existence. Prepare to adapt as you go.

Now with that...I do have a GHK M4A1 that is 2 years old. I got it as a demo/trainer for a Police explorer convention back in 2019. Something jammed the BCG at the event and I just put it back in the box and ran the shotty for the rest of the event. I can unjam it and sell it to you. It is a more common GHK GBBR and thus there is a small level of support for it in other maker parts. I will sell this GBBR to you and 3 mags total for 480.00 shipped. I can add in two additional new gas mags for it for 100.00 more and I will give you 5 spare mag feed lips in the event you drop the mags and it damages the lips.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
    lesajjj likes this.

3. OPairoft

OPairoft Active Member

Bend
    Ghk mags also need to filed if you don’t want to be replacing them every couple thousand rounds or get double feeds which can break the hop up or possibly the nozzle.

lesajjj likes this.
  4. lesajjj

lesajjj Member

Danbury
    Hmm, I was not aware of that with GHK guns, I never heard anyone mention that; I’ll keep that noted, thanks man. Looking into it again now, I do notice there’s not a lot of aftermarket stuff for them.

I figured as much with the 1887, since it’s such an obscure gun with not even many around. Thankfully I do have access to machinery, so if something breaks I can (most likely) make a new one of whatever breaks.

Also wow, I was not aware of how old the KWA was, I earliest I’ve seen any reference to them was back in 2011. I’ll stay away from oil in the mags too, since stuff is hard to come by for it I’ll try to avoid degrading stuff too early.

Thank you for the offer, but I will have to kindly decline. My previous GBBR I mentioned before was a GHK M4 actually, worked great, but the M4 platform just wasn’t my thing haha, it got boring after awhile, and didn’t match with my uniform too well. Thanks again though, and thank you for the feedback, really helpful :)

5. interceptor

interceptor Active Member Supporting Member

Los Angeles
    As the 3 guns you mention are quite different, was wondering what uniform you have.

6. lesajjj

lesajjj Member

Danbury
    I mainly use a viet cong uniform during the summer, since it’s lightweight and easy to breath in (also I just like how it looks lol) and in the fall I use a East German Diensteinheit IX uniform.

All 3 wouldn’t really match well with the East German uniform, but I know the 1887 and Mac will fit with the viet Cong uniform decently well. I recall seeing one photo of a VC weapons cache and one of the guns in there was a 1887 with a semi-broken buttstock, and two pictures of Vietcong with macs, so technically it would still be correct :)

7. interceptor

Los Angeles
    How about a GBB MP7?

8. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    Ummm...they didn't have MP7's in 1960's, 70's, 80's and 90's

9. interceptor

Los Angeles
    Understood but I'm guessing the East Germans didn't use AUGs either. Just trying to find a closer non-M4 alternative.

10. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    No they didn't, but they had the ability to actually "acquire" them back then versus the MP7 was not even on the mind of the designer back when East Germany existed.

11. aotsukisho

aotsukisho Active Member

I am a fan of GHK, I run their AR platform and their mags are absolute tanks. I have not used the AUG but I don't hear anything bad about them aside from the standard GHK being designed around JP spec smaller-diameter bbs so there are issues with feed lips cracking when used with 5.95mm. I don't bother filing mine, and it's fine with me - they are more likely to crack while loading bbs in my experience anyway.

I would assume the GHK AUG and Sig have comparable sized runs and I hear a lot of Sig owners complain about how brittle the mag body plastic is. It's definitely not a popular replica but even those with small runs have problems emerge in the community.

If you are open to other time period suggestions, there are gas MP5 (WE, VFC), G3 (WE, VFC), AK platform (GHK, Marui soon), vz.61 Skorpion (KWA), SVD (WE), and upcoming FAL (VFC I believe).

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
  12. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    Oh Yeah...if you want a VFC MP5A5 with spare mags...I have one in country.

13. lesajjj

lesajjj Member

Danbury
    Funny you mentioned those aotsukisho, I was looking into the WE MP5 and KWA Skorpion a little while ago before the post. I decided against the WE because I heard quite a number of gas reliability problems with them, and the niche and expensive aftermarket parts. Didn’t look into the VFC though, I’ll have to research that more. Anyone here have experience with the VFC MP5?

The Skorpion is definitely compact, and certainly would fair well for my needs and fit my kit, I’ll add that to my list of choices lmao. Though it would seem more fit to be a secondary (I’m not sure, maybe it can be modified enough to suit a primary role too).

*Also update: it turns out I can make homemade shells for the 1887 at home using 20 gauge hulls, 5/8 plastic rod, and some washers. I just found that pretty interesting, the guy posted a tutorial on how to make them too, said they were a lot lighter and worked just as well, for a fraction of the price. Since I have a lathe I can probably cut out the need for the washers though. That might be a nice deciding factor, don’t have to worry about loosing shells and can make a crap load. Just a thought lol

aotsukisho likes this.
  14. aotsukisho

aotsukisho Active Member

A friend of mine just picked up a WE Apache (MP5A4) and he likes it so far but we'll see how it holds up. I don't know anyone personally who has the VFC replica.

Another friend used to run the Skorpion as a primary in woodland outdoors, it's fairly loud so it was great for ambushing. No real problems apart from the stock flying off as he was running one time, but as you said it's pretty much a one-off model so limited aftermarket although KWA is good at getting replacement parts. It's been more reliable than his KWA MP7, but he got both of them used so take that with a grain of salt.

15. Guges Mk3

Minneapolis
    VFC are batch guns...runs of a few hundred...and that's it. Next batch they build on the need for changes or Cosmetic designs. Current MP5A5 has a Steel Stamped receiver unlike the last one which was pot metal.

Again...American Consumerism does not apply.