Airsoft Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. So, to start I'm totally new to airsoft, but mechanically inclined (engineer). Built real ARs, cars, etc so I can move around AEG but need someone to teach me.
My son got into airsoft, but a great unit for his rifle (ARP 556) I should have done the same but wasn't sure how far I would get into ti.
So, I bought this:
Worked great about half a dozen times out target shooting with him, albeit his was so much better. Well went out to target shoot again and after 30 rounds or so just got a horrible grinding noise when I pulled the trigger. Put it away and later proceeded to learn how to disassemble and inspect, and how the gear box works as best I could.
Took it apart and I could see rubbing on the motor pinion teeth but nothing worn yet.
Took apart gear box, watched a video and it pretty much said shim before you upgrade so I proceeded to learn how to ship, assembled the gear box, and did 3 or so dry fires with just gear box and handle to check, sweet, it was working again! No grinding and felt like it had power. At this point I wish I had fully assembled and tried with bbs! But I did not. :(
I decided, as long as I have the gear box open, let's do the gear box upgrades.
Replaced plastic nozzle with Maxx CNC double o-ring nozzle (21.25mm, checked old one with caliper but my caliper sucks so not sure how accurate to tenths or hundreds it is these days)
Replaced plastic single oring cylinder head with ASG Lonex Ultimate double o-ring aluminum cylinder head
Replaced plastic flat rubber seal piston head with Lonex POM Expanding piston head
Gear box already came with metal gears and ball bearings.
Put gun back together fully this time, went to shoot thinking this thing would be cool now. Only every 10th shot or so a bb comes out and it literally lobs it about 20 feet, I could throw it harder!
What did I do wrong? I noticed the piston head is "expanding" is there something I perhaps did wrong there for it to seal? It did indeed feel loose when I put the piston back in the cylinder.

· Administrator
12,539 Posts
Let me preface that Airsoft items are not made to a standard...it's actually the opposite. Nothing is made to a standard and there are regional variances.

Also...many parts are not upgrades.

Cybergun products are low grade, I know...I worked for the company...

You need to do a compression test at the nozzle for starters.

Turn your AEG upside down. Clear it of all bbs.

Put a piece of tissue over the feed hole. Put AEG in SA and fire...does it blow off or does it just sit there?

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, thanks. That's a bummer, I thought what I was doing was buying something I could play with now and upgrade later.
So I did that with the tissue and it blew it straight off, compression seems to be there.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok I solved half the problem, dummy move. I got to looking at the nozzle again and noticed the groove. When I first took apart the gear box though the original nozzle just fell out so I just put the new nozzle in behind the slide fork, I didn't know it locked into it! So I just re-did it with the nozzle locked into the slide fork.
So now I just have the problem that it seem to only fire a bb every 10-20 shots, but when it does it's go more power than ever! Didn't have feed issues before though.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well.... I got into some of the Airsoft Tech videos. This one seems to be the most likely scenario:

So I did that. Of course, I can't pull tappet back like in the video, so I took it all apart again and just pushed the barrel/hopup up into/against the gearbox so I could manually pull tappet back. I can see that the nozzle has a hair still visible, but, if I do the test where I put the bb in and then pull back, it does load into the chamber. Then I manually shot one too to ensure it was just a load/feed issue. Oh boy, the thing puts a dent in the garage door now. So I definitely have the gear box/upgrades working in a fps sense, it's jut not feeding!
Put it all back together (again!, getting tired of that for today) and same thing. Rarely does a bb come out.
Should I try to file down the nozzle or try a different length? Is the nozzle supposed to disappear from the feed tube completely when doing the test in the video?
I would mic the old nozzle again but it broke. :( Was plastic and I can't remember how but it just blew while I was working on it before.

· Premium Member
356 Posts
Go back to the stock configuration. Make sure everything works normally then. Then upgrade one part at a time. You have too many variables to try to eliminate right now

Sorry, missed that the old nozzle is now broken.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks peeps, it's working! I should have known to go back to old parts. So, it works with new piston head and nozzle, but old cylinder head. Something else I had not noticed when I put this together is that the cylinder head moves around a bit. The new one was TIGHT but I ASSumed it just had to be in and even with the cylinder, didn't know it had some movement.
So, the other upgrades work, but it still seems weak compared to when it did work with that cylinder head. If the head is too tight, can I get a matching cylinder? Am I stuck with the old cylinder head and this nice cnc cylinder head I bought in a bag?
Thanks again, this has been a great help for my learning process. Along with taking the darn thing apart a million times!

· Administrator
12,539 Posts
It's not supposed to wiggle either...what you are experiencing is the lack of standards in Airsoft.

You can PTFE Tape the new cylinder head to the old cylinder to seal it up.

· Premium Member
810 Posts
It's not supposed to wiggle either...what you are experiencing is the lack of standards in Airsoft.

You can PTFE Tape the new cylinder head to the old cylinder to seal it up.
What he said. Throw some Teflon tape in there to help with compression. It sounds like you may have a small air leak.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry, bad description. It doesn't wiggle, I just meant it can move in and out of the cylinder with light pressure. So, I was able to re-assemble the old cylinder head with my hands. The new one took some tapping with a socket to get in and out, so I probably didn't have it in all the way.
My guess is if I re-installed the new one but got it to seat into the cylinder just 1mm further, it would all work. But, I'd rather not as tight as it fit. So maybe new cylinder? How do I know what fits?
I don't have a chronometer, but I am tempted to get one, just one more toy to find a place for though. :(

· Premium Member
356 Posts
So maybe new cylinder? How do I know what fits?
Trial and error. As noted..

Let me preface that Airsoft items are not made to a standard...it's actually the opposite. Nothing is made to a standard and there are regional variances.
Sticking with the same brand is usually a good place to start though, eg Guarder cylinder head and cylinder. (Note: this is not an endorsement just an example)

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
@hardbap I want to thank you again for the Airsoft Tech resource! That's exactly what I needed, learning a ton from those videos. Just yesterday I watched the video on cylinders and volume ratios, boy is my stocker way off! I'm 3.26 to 1 (has a type 0 cylinder stock with a 300mm barrel). Since the cylinder head I got didn't fit it anyways, ordered a (same brand as head) 2/3 cylinder. Having a great time though with all those videos!

· Administrator
12,539 Posts
ummm...make sure your cylinder doesn't have an internal taper to reduce internal volume.

Some of the makers do that instead of holing the side of the cylinder. And may be the cause of your wiggle if you put the cylinder on backwards.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks, didn't know that. But, I did try the cylinder head on both ends and it fit the same so I don't think it was. In fact, in case I did anything to the original head end I put it back together the other way around and it works fine.

· Administrator
12,539 Posts
^You will need it in this No Standard in Manufacturing industry....outside of Japan or Poland.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts