Need help on my pdw dsg build...

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by ShrapnelMike, Jul 22, 2012.

1. ShrapnelMike

ShrapnelMike New Member

Hey guys. I'm planning a dsg build on a Bravo PDW. I know that I'm going to need to replace my piston and such for my gearbox to handle the rof, but I need to know how much the fps would be reduced. I'm aiming for about 300 to 315 fps. Has anyone had any experience with this before? The grade spring that I would need would be helpful too. Thanks.

2. PistolsAndMP5s

PistolsAndMP5s New Member

Corona
    Someone get Alex over here! Alex makes some nice DSG builds.

3. Adman234

Adman234 Active Member

Wildwood
    If this is going to be your first build, I recommend you pick something else.

DSG builds are tricky. You break parts you thought could never break, and if you don't have the experience to diagnose the reasons, then your build will become a black hole for money.

Some failures I've had in my DSG:

-piston oring fell out of the piston head and was shredded, jammed in front of the piston, and then shattered the piston into many pieces. Fixed with bigger oring.
    -motor height adjusted itself from the massive vibration and deformed my pinion gear and shorted out my motor brush springs through the motor cage. Fixed with loctite and teflon tape.
    -Spring guide screw adjusted itself from massive vibration and fell apart, destroying the thrust bearing. Fixed with loctite.
    -Gun started firing on fullauto without pulling trigger. Mosfet had blown from amp load. Fixed with better mosfet.
    -Semi auto lost function. Cutoff lever screw adjusted itself from massive vibration and sucked cutoff lever spring into gears, shredding the spring instantly. That was fun to clean out of the teeth/lube. Fixed with loctite.

I'm sure any other DSG tech can give you more examples. These builds are for pros. Installing an M190 is hard enough.

4. ShrapnelMike

ShrapnelMike New Member

I'm not really aiming for anything fancy. I'm just looking into adding a dsg and running on a 9.6 or even a 8.4 if I have to. 30 rps would be good enough for me, and it seemed like adding in just a dsg wouldn't be that hard. What would you reccomend?

5. PistolsAndMP5s

PistolsAndMP5s New Member

Corona
    Adman, wouldn't a regular high speed build work better for his setup? (Mosfet, deans, 13:1, and SHS HS motor)

6. Njnewland

Njnewland New Member Lifetime Supporter

Cherryville
    You can easily get 30 RPS on a SSG.

How much are you looking to spend? I can make a parts list based from that.

7. ShrapnelMike

ShrapnelMike New Member

Let's put it at $100. I'm not really looking I spend a lot

8. Njnewland

Cherryville
    SHS 13:1 gears
    Lonex red medium type motor
    SHS polycarbonate piston w/ FMR
    Deans
    Sorbo
    AOE
    Sorbo
    Shim
    Lube
    DE FET
    M100 spring
    SS 1-2 teeth

Last edited: Jul 22, 2012
  9. ShrapnelMike

ShrapnelMike New Member

Thanks! I'll look into that.

10. Njnewland

Cherryville
    Also, look at clandestineairsoft.com for parts. Great prices, cheap shipping, incredible service.

11. mpanary_fako

mpanary_fako Member

Nashville
    Why do people want high RoF and then use a 9.6 Nimh? I will never understand. It's like building a 500 hp car and then driving it 20 mph.

12. twp397

twp397 New Member

Friendswood
    That was a horrible analogy. And they can use what they want. Not everyone wants to be Ub3R 1337 and use an 11.1 lipo.

13. alex

alex New Member

Atlanta
    i use 7.4v 35c 2200mAH for a low speed/low amp 30-35rps DSG build. (11.1v bumps it up to 50rps, which i use on occasion). i use an sp150 main spring to get 300-320 fps (no spring spacer). JG spur and bevel. your choice of neodymium torque gear. JG with 11.1v will be reliable at 40-45 rps and stay cool during mag dumps but will have close to or just below 30rps with 7.4v (depends on your tuning).

high amp DSG builds are the ones that are not reliable (60rps at above 350fps).

you will need really good shimming or expect bevel/pinion failure. 16awg wiring works fine for below 350fps. you will also need to clean and relube the piston o-ring routinely (they dry out and get gummy, failure to do so may result in piston lock up). for higher rps with 7.4v, 7mm bearings can be used. but they will be the first to blow out during a gearbox lockup. 8mm bearings gets dirty too quickly.

below 350 fps @ 30-35 rps works great using DSG. it's a low amp load and more reliable than a SSG running 11.1v at higher amp loads. the advantages of low amp are reliability, longevity (battery play time), and less heat buildup.

for around 400 fps, SSG will be more reliable.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2012
  14. ShrapnelMike

ShrapnelMike New Member

Thanks! That what I was looking for. I'll have to see though. It's probably going to take some trial and error on my part.

15. bobalini

bobalini New Member

Thousand Oaks
    From experience I'm gonna tell you its gonna be more that $100, if you have to ask about it your not ready. And don't get 13:1 gears a a riot dsg they will not work together. And also if you want legit info and people that know Dsg's inside and out go to airsoftmechanic

16. ShrapnelMike

ShrapnelMike New Member

Here are the parts that I already have. I already have the JG gears and motor. Im just going to invest in a new piston, DSG, and an SP150 spring.

17. bobalini

bobalini New Member

Thousand Oaks
    You need Sorbo or your sector gear/ piston are gonna get wrecked from misalignment, and you need a mosfet especially because it is a dsg.

18. ShrapnelMike

ShrapnelMike New Member

Are you are that I need a MOSFET? I'm planning on running on a low amp battery so I can get a decent rof with more reliability.

19. Njnewland

Cherryville
    A MOSFET will protect your trigger contacts. Even with a 9.6v, you can still fry the contacts. With the MOSFET, you won't.

I honestly don't know why you don't just run an SSG with an 11.1v lipo.

You don't need to be scared of lipos. They aren't something from the future. Just take proper care of them (which is EASY) and you will be fine and happy. They are cheaper than NIMH, smaller than NIMH, and more powerful per-size than NIMH.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  20. kwalovaa

kwalovaa New Member

For a 15$ Part it is pretty much a must have. I recently got one from a guy on this forum named bludragon and have only good things to say about the fet.