need more info about these guns.

Discussion in 'What Gun Should I Get?' started by krix0cris, Sep 20, 2015.

1. krix0cris

krix0cris New Member

breitenbach
    i have been looking at wich gun to buy and had already decided on a Heckler & Koch G36 CV , but recently i found this gun (A&K SR-25 full metal AEG) and i need more info about these guns to help me decide wich one to buy.

http://www.umarex.com/en/airsoft/aeg/2.5915X.html

http://www.airsoftmegastore.com/286...-dmr-sniper-aeg-rifle-full-metal-gearbox.aspx

i am a mid range/long range player in shooting games and i just tought i could upgrade the g36 cv when i wanted more range/accuracy, but the sr-25 has a good range (and i think accuracy) and also has what i wanted (metal body).

can someone tell me if the sr-s5 is worth the extra money and if there are any problems with Brand/weapon.

thank you for your time:)

Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
  2. theonlyBuster

theonlyBuster Active Member Lifetime Supporter

S. Florida
    The G36 is going to get you standard range, but as you mentioned, upgrading isn't a problem.
    The SR-25 falls into the same category; long barrel, but standard range with a DMR LOOK. You're going to have to upgrade this as well to get any long ranged functionality out of it.

So if you're willing to put in the time. the SR-25 can be made into a nice long ranged weapon. If you don't have the budget or time, stick with the G36

3. krix0cris

krix0cris New Member

breitenbach
    but in a out-of-the-box situation , the sr-25 has more range/accuracy? and the only thing i need to purchase after is a scope.

4. theonlyBuster

S. Florida
    Oh no no no no no.
    First rule of buying guns from retailers, if it comes with free accessories, they're trying to distract you from the problems and/or short-comings of the main item.
    Second rule is any descriptive words describing the performance based on distance should be ignored, as 99% of the time they're JUST arbitrary descriptive words.

That is to say, the "SR-25 DMR Coffee Maker Mod 0 Totally Awesome Sniper Rifle" is JUST a SR-25 with external accessories and a slightly heavier spring. This gun will not get you DMR range, instead, you'll get roughly the same distance and accuracy as your basic AEG. So pinpoint accuracy is totally out the window. Think of it this way, you're buying a race car with a Toyota Corolla engine. Well maybe it's not that extreme, but I'm sure you get the point I'm trying to make. You've got the body, but not the internals.
    And no, adding a spring and tight barrel won't suddenly turn it into a long distance killing machine. You're talking a full over-haul of the internals as well as tinkering and tweaking to get it to perform right.

If you want ANYTHING long distance, you're gonna have to jump into the gearbox and start upgrading.
    I won't tell you how many new(er) players run out and grab a DMR or bolt-action sniper rifle off the shelf and are utterly pissed and disappointed when they discover the gun fires like every other AEG off the shelf. Then they go to a tech and tell the tech to throw in the top of the line best and most expensive parts possible to make the gun "better" -_-

The SR-25 will have a bit more range than the G36, but it won't be significant. I'd honestly go with the G36 because it's smaller and lighter equaling less fatigue when I'm lugging it around the field. Remember the SR-25 is at least a foot longer than the G36 (roughly 3ft long)

Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
  5. krix0cris

krix0cris New Member

breitenbach
    that is what im trying to find out. this gun out of the box has more range, and i think it would be a better gun once upgraded than the g36.
    i am attending a AS.Starter (i think its a airsoft event for starters) and i will try to check the guns and decide if i can handle the extra weight/lenght of this gun.

ps: what is DMR? im checking in google and i cant find a simple explanation to the DMR.

6. theonlyBuster

S. Florida
    DMR is an abbreviation for Designated Marksmen Rifle. Think of as the offspring of a regular rifle and sniper rifle. Range is a few notches below a sniper rifle but it has the repeat semi-auto firing power of a regular rifle.

But all that aside, since you're new and likely would fair much better with something that wouldn't be so relied on upgrades out the box, I'd recommend you get the G36. The Umarex (linked in the opening post) is fine, but I tend to sway towards the JG G36. Now as flashy externally, but internally it's a better build than Umarex. Umarex gives up some internal build quality for a nicer external appeal. But either should fair you well. They are also a MUCH lighter and shorter gun, making moving around the field and in CQB areas far easier, but they still have average range, so you can still hit targets at a decent distance.
    Additionally, I'd recommend .25g or .28g BBs. These will increase your accuracy as gravity and wind effect heavier BBs less.

Both these guns can be upgaded in the future if desired.
    My only gripe with the G36 are the wide magazines. Great for clipping multiple mags together, but sometimes a pain when taking them out or putting them in pouches.

7. krix0cris

krix0cris New Member

breitenbach
    thank you for all the info.
    with this info i decided to go to the store (when i get the permit to buy a gun) and simply try both and get some advice from the shop owners as well.

thank you for helping me again buster