Need shimming assitance

Discussion in 'Gun Building, Modifications & Repairs' started by Sophomore, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Sophomore

Sophomore New Member

East Bay Area
    I'm trying to shim SHS 32:1 in my G&G M14 gearbox am I'm having a bit of trouble. I've spent 2 days on it so far and still can't get it shimmed correctly.

I polished some parts of the gears. Not sure if that's bad for them or not.

[​IMG]
    008 by Brandon1chang, on Flickr

I'm not sure if they are supposed to look like that or not but I feel like the teeths on the spur and sector are too far apart.

And when I spin it fast, it sounds weird. See here:
    http://flic.kr/p/dnBPKQ

I've made sure none of the gears are touching each other or on the sides of the gearbox.

Any suggestions or did I get a bad set of gears?

2. Deacon

Deacon New Member

My guess is that one of your gears is making contact with a bearing/flash on the gearbox. It may not be seated high enough to clear it fully. Remember that you want the Bevel gear as low as possible. Between the gears you want as little travel as possible while still being able to spin freely not making contact with anything in or on the gearbox.

Your sector gear and spur gear also look incorrectly shimmed. That's quite a gap between them.

3. Sophomore

Sophomore New Member

East Bay Area
    I just checked it and none of my gears are touching a bushing.
    I thought you're supposed to shim the bevel to the pinion gear.

I made the gap that far apart because one side of the spur gear would grind against the sector. Which led me to think I got a bad gear set.

I've also isolated the issue to be between the sector and spur gear. They spin fine by themselves.

4. sniperboi94

sniperboi94 New Member

I'm pretty sure M14's have a unique spur gear don't they? Are you sure you bought the right gears?

5. Phailed

Phailed New Member

Bodø
    My last SHS gearset was misshaped. The shafts were not staight, making them imposible to shim right. According to ehobby asia, where I ordered them from, this was common with SHS gears nowdays. SHS changed.

6. Archer627

Archer627 New Member

Figgington
    Indeed, SHS has changed. I've switched over to RiotSC gears and CORE gears. Thats all I buy now these days.

7. Lefse

Lefse Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Are you 100% sure they are Version 7 gears?

8. S1kkguy

S1kkguy New Member

London
    Exactly what I thought looking at the pictures...

9. Sophomore

Sophomore New Member

East Bay Area
    G&G V7 Gearboxes use V2 Gears.

10. Lefse

Lefse Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Well, SHS lemons aren't exactly rare...